cell phone in Punta Cana

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hey there, another question about life in PC.

What is the best cell phone service? I will be in PC Village.

What is the startup cost?

I have an Iphone 3g, use it in airplane mode here, and was told someone down there could unlock it (I am sure for a FEE) and I could use that phone. Any truth to this?

All advice welcome.

I have been cell phone free for over a year (tied Google voice to my landline) but I don't think GV will work in DR. The Apple phone was a gift from my brother when he upgraded and I never got a contract on it.

Anyone here rely solely on Skype?

Thanks.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there have been a couple of really good threads on cell phones lately. do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find them. a couple of the veteran members posted some really comprehensive advice and info about it.

CandaceL87

Mar 24, 2011
I did read in another thread somewhere that you can get your iphone unlocked for very cheap in DR...After it's unlocked yes you can use it with a Dominican cell provider... Not sure of the the start up cost though... I thought about relying solely on Skype as well... interested to hear if anyone has ever done that...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Take the phone to the Blackberry place just past the Texaco station on your right heading towards Macau. Not the one in the station, the next one. There is a guy there that can probably get it unlocked. But it will cost about 2200rd. This is in Bavaro of course.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
If you are able to search youtube and follow instructions then you should be able to do it yourself, it's very easy if your phone has the right firmware and baseband. If you don't wanna risk it or don't feel confident to do it you could contact me when you arrive and I'll give it a go for some frosty presidente's.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
No problem it's really a simple task if the software on the phone permits it, the only thing I would suggest is DO NOT update the phones software if you plug it in and it asks to update. If it can be unlocked I will be able to do it easily, and no I can't drink $60 worth of presidente in a sitting I'm a light weight.