Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Banco Popular: Depurificacion Passport?

What does that exactly means? Not translation, I mean what the bank is doing with a customers Passport when soliciting an account? Where they check with that Passport? Embassy? If there are debts? What the bank is actually doing with it? I am curious where and who would have access to the data on the passport etc.

Anybody knows? Thanks!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, now I want to know too.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't the banks in your country ask for identification when opening an account?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    Don't the banks in your country ask for identification when opening an account?
    Thanks, but that was not what I enquired about. Of course they do.But living in the D.R. since 1998 I think this is my country . But back to my question I don't want to dispute the fact that they ask for it, I asked if somebody know what and where they investigate about someone and who would have access to that information. (Identity theft? Money gone from accounts? Etc.?)

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe part of it is- the DR does cooperate with the US as far as off shore accounts go. In other words, if you get a good chunck of interest you'd better declare it on your US tax return. They may also check criminal type things that may show on your passport like if you go to leave the country and something shows up you'll be taken into custody at the airport till things are figured out. It's also your only valid ID as far as the bank is concerned.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My point was, I don't believe they use your passport for any kind of "investigation" on you, they use it for identification.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    My point was, I don't believe they use your passport for any kind of "investigation" on you, they use it for identification.
    OK, I understand. But I am not concerned about any 'investigation' , I just like to know who possibly might get involved with my data? So you think they just do nothing with it but to keep a copy? In Europe they would do a check on you if you are in debt etc and therefore transmit your data to various institutions. So I just want to know if that is the case in the D.R., too since I don't know about. Just curious.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw they mentioned "depurificar" the passport, which means to me, that they intent to do something with it besides keeping the copy for identification.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deyvi View Post
    I believe part of it is- the DR does cooperate with the US as far as off shore accounts go. In other words, if you get a good chunck of interest you'd better declare it on your US tax return. They may also check criminal type things that may show on your passport like if you go to leave the country and something shows up you'll be taken into custody at the airport till things are figured out. It's also your only valid ID as far as the bank is concerned.
    Thank you for your information. Well in my case it is just about opening a savings account on my name to receive salary. We have two more with the same bank but in the name of my wife.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Caribmike, I think you mean they said "depurar", not depurificar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast