Why EPS And Others Don't Send Packages To The US

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As has been discussed many times, EPS and the similar services bring packages here for a fairly good price, but to send packages to the US, we have to use FedEx, UPS, etc., and pay much more than we did to get the package.

I talked with Angie Wolff, who has EPS business in Sosua and Cabarete, about this while standing in line at Playero this afternoon. She said the reason is that since 9/11 the US post office will not accept any packages weighing more than one pound that are not brought to the post office by the sender. We can send packages by mail from here because when we bring the package to the PO it is entered into the postal system, but an EPS representative can't deliver a bunch of packages that it transported from the DR to the US to a US post office. For this reason, they will take our correspondence but not our packagaes.

The fact the ultimate destination might be Europe or Asia makes no difference, since EPS and the others would only take the package to the US and the US Post Office would take it from there.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As has been discussed many times, EPS and the similar services bring packages here for a fairly good price, but to send packages to the US, we have to use FedEx, UPS, etc., and pay much more than we did to get the package.

I talked with Angie Wolff, who has EPS business in Sosua and Cabarete, about this while standing in line at Playero this afternoon. She said the reason is that since 9/11 the US post office will not accept any packages weighing more than one pound that are not brought to the post office by the sender. We can send packages by mail from here because when we bring the package to the PO it is entered into the postal system, but an EPS representative can't deliver a bunch of packages that it transported from the DR to the US to a US post office. For this reason, they will take our correspondence but not our packagaes.

The fact the ultimate destination might be Europe or Asia makes no difference, since EPS and the others would only take the package to the US and the US Post Office would take it from there.
Very interesting.

I assume Business mail and the Dominican Post office have some sort of official status with the USPS because I have shipped packages to the states Priority Mail from their offices. However, the package cannot be sealed. They seal it for you, or you seal it while they watch.

Thnaks for the info, Ken!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could EPS not use UPS once the package arrived in the US and charge appropriately?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
According to Angie, the reason you can send packages through the Dominican Post Office is because it is a post office, part of the international postal system. Delivering it there is like delivering it to a US post office.

windeguy, Angie said that the UPS won't accept packages from EPS because the person delivering them to the post office is not the sender, as required by their post-9/11 policy.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've sent packages to the United* through Business Mail many times.

To: The United

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
According to Angie, the reason you can send packages through the Dominican Post Office is because it is a post office, part of the international postal system. Delivering it there is like delivering it to a US post office.

windeguy, Angie said that the UPS won't accept packages from EPS because the person delivering them to the post office is not the sender, as required by their post-9/11 policy.

Understood. Just curious how Business Mail is able to do it now that I see the following post:

I've sent packages to the United* through Business Mail many times.

To: The United

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
windeguy, don't have the answer to your question. Perhaps the package was under 1 pound. I checked with Angie this morning to find out why, given the 1 pound requirement, I wasn't able to send a CD even though well under 1 pound. (My mistake here was not doing enough so CD couldn't be felt,) It seems that EPS has adopted a policy of nothing other than documents/correspondence: "PS never gave us a reason but my guess is that it was such a hassel and we did have allot of problems with contraband, we had on more than one occasion people trying to send cocaine."

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Understood. Just curious how Business Mail is able to do it now that I see the following post:
Business Mail has some agreement with the USPS because I have sent packages USPS Priority. However, they must inspect the contents, just like ther DR post offices do.