I need some help/info....

ahmadj

Jan 8, 2011
Hi everybody,

Im sorry if this question has been answered before, but I need to ship a package to the DR from Los Angeles.

The address that was given to me, is

calle castillo, casi esquina santa ana plaza lizzy apartemento 15a

my friend lives in san fransisco de macoris.

what is the correct format to write on the letter. I've been trying to figure this out for the past 3 days, and he tells me that thats the correct address.

thanks guys

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't send it by normal mail as the DR mail service is hit and miss. I suggest you use a reputable courier, in which case the person's name and phone number will be the essential details to ensure it gets to its destination. Having said that, the address does make sense:

Plaza Lizzy, apartamento 15a ("Plaza Lizzy" sounds like the name of a shopping centre, but it could be an apartment building)
Calle Castillo, casi esquina Santa Ana (Castillo street, near the intersection with Santa Ana (street)
San Francisco de Macor?s (name of city)

ahmadj

Jan 8, 2011
ok, what about postal codes and provinces. I know its duarte and the postal code is 31000.
So should this be the format?
NAME
Calle Castillo, casi esquina Santa Ana, Plaza Lizzy, apartamento 15a
San Fransisco De Macoris
Dominican Republic.

And you think I should ship with UPS or FEDEX. I was actually planning on shipping it with USPS and have some type of tracking. Out of Los Angeles, the post office charges $50 for a package compared to $120 UPS and fedex.
for $300 more i can get a plane ticket and deliver it myself...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That is more or less correct, but I repeat: you should only use the regular postal service if you're prepared to risk losing the package.

If you do send it using a courier that serves the DR (e.g. DHL, Fedex, UPS, TNT) the name and phone number of the addressee are the crucial details.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Follow Chirimoya's advice.

The system here is very, very different from that in the United States. If your friend is going to receive packages or mail from you on a regular basis, have your friend rent a post office box. If this is a one-time delivery, spend the money to FedEx.

Another possibility: have your friend open an account at EPS or CPS, local courier services. It gets a bit costly, but it's really about the only option for ex-pats living here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a pleasure to see someone ask a question, and get an answer, without insults, name-calling and innuendos.

Bravo!!!

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a non-solicited "good deed" I have investigated this case and found that only EPS (Express Parcel Service) has an office in San Francisco de Macoris.

Send your friend 50 dollars and tell him to go to EPS on 27 de Febrero #44, the telephone number is 809 586 7185 or 9285. Tell him or her to go there and open an account. They will give the person and ID number as well as an address in Miami where you can use the US Postal Service to get the package there. THEN they bring it to the DR, to SFM at something like $4.00 a pound plus insurance and service fee.

When it gets here, you friend will be advised and he'/she can call you and tell you how much to Western Union so that they can pick up the package.

Do not put a value of more than 175$ on the package or it will be retained by Customs. There ain't no other way. The mails here are super iffy.

So, weigh your options:
1) Use USPS ->Dominican Postal Service(?Yikes?) = very possible disappearance
2) FedEx,DHL etc = very expensive
3) EPS = sign up costs + retrieval costs = less than FedEx and very very trustworthy

Your call.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Actually, the Dominican Post Office has gotten better. There have been several threads on this recently with positive reports from people who have sent and received packages. I sent a package myself and it was received within 4 or 5 days.

If you send a package by mail, send it insured/certified, or whatever is available along those lines. Don't send it just regular mail

ahmadj

Jan 8, 2011
Thanks do much for all the swift answers.

After giving it some thought, since it's s one time shipment, and since I'm shipping a netbook, I'll just walk into kinkos/fedex and ship it through them.

And I'll make sure to put the value if goods at $150 for customs.

Thanks again.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks do much for all the swift answers.

After giving it some thought, since it's s one time shipment, and since I'm shipping a netbook, I'll just walk into kinkos/fedex and ship it through them.

And I'll make sure to put the value if goods at $150 for customs.

Thanks again.

A netbook with a $150 dollars value ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know if you'll get away with saying it's worth $150. Mark it "used" and cross your fingers..... otherwise customs will set the value themselves and your friend will have to pay a fee to claim it.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will second AlterEgo's opinion...do not send a laptop which are valued at 400 0r 500$$$...

Customs know prices.

Better plan on hand carrying it, or finding a #4 way of doing things the Dominican way.
This would be finding someone here that is going to the DR sometime soon and asking them to hand carry it for you. I am sure that someone will do this, you'll see.

Try it and see. Once it is in the country, it can be sent by one of the local couriers...Metro, Caribe Tour, Dominican Watchman, etc.. Piece of Cake!!

HB

Feb 7, 2007
As a non-solicited "good deed" I have investigated this case and found that only EPS (Express Parcel Service) has an office in San Francisco de Macoris.

Vimenpaq/Transexpress www.vimenpaq.com.do should be available in any major city (bigger than campo) in the DR where there is Vimenca/Western Union office.

Post office INPOSDOM now offers courier service from Miami as well called INPOSPAK INPOSPAK - Inicio de Sesi?n, they have a flight 3 times per week from Miami, and they claim the cheapest rates in the DR. You can open account and collect in any local INPOSDOM post office in the DR, which is as widely available as Vimenpaq.