What do groceries cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tappers

Jul 15, 2011
Hi Folks, we are planning on spending the month of January in the DR. Last year we spent a month in Panama. We were told before we left that the food was cheaper than US/Canada prices. We found that the food prices cost us "MORE"! We will be renting a unit for a month can someone give me an idea of what grocery prices are like. The basics, like bread, milk, eggs, meat, cheese etc.?

Thanks!

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Hi Folks, we are planning on spending the month of January in the DR. Last year we spent a month in Panama. We were told before we left that the food was cheaper than US/Canada prices. We found that the food prices cost us "MORE"! We will be renting a unit for a month can someone give me an idea of what grocery prices are like. The basics, like bread, milk, eggs, meat, cheese etc.?

Thanks!

The basic rule is, if it's made here, it's pretty cheap and healthier than in North America (ie. naturally organic). So salad stuff from here, meat from here, rice + beans from here, cheese from here, chicken from here...pretty cheapish. Our maid earns 4000 pesos a month, and with that her family eats meat quiet frequently.

The wildcard is the imported goods. If you like foreign cheese (guilty), foreign juices, foreign (insert things you like), then they're going to be more expensive than back home.

At least that's been my experience in general.

tappers

Jul 15, 2011
Food Cost

Thanks folks for your valued input! I will visit that other forum for sure!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.