Las Galeras Unsafe Really?

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
There is a post on here from someone who says that people are more or less fleeing Las Galeras because it has become a hotbed for kidnappers and rapists. Can anyone confirm this?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
This would only happen if you had an influx of people with money to an area experiencing poverty combined with an unresponsive police force funded by a corrupt government.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
don;t worry about it until the court system and lawyers show signs of weakness too

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
i think its more a post from somebody who is unhappy. I have several friends living in Las Galeras, coming there 3 times a week or so, also in the desterted beaches.
And kidnappers and rapists.... bueno....

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
The things with the forums is:

-everybody can hide himself behind a forum name
-forums in many, many cases are used to spread the bad news. Forum people often only want to complain and not tell the nice and good things.
-Investigation from a famous London university: when you have something good to tell that about something, you only tell that in general to 1 person, the contrary, if you are unhappy, you are telling that to 7 people.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The things with the forums is:

-everybody can hide himself behind a forum name
-forums in many, many cases are used to spread the bad news. Forum people often only want to complain and not tell the nice and good things.
-Investigation from a famous London university: when you have something good to tell that about something, you only tell that in general to 1 person, the contrary, if you are unhappy, you are telling that to 7 people.

yes lets make this a forum for happy people only. no hiding behind other names or anonymity. do not spread any thoughts or news that someone might consider bad or negative. heaven forbid

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
The reason I ask is because we spent a very relaxing month there back in 2007. The only time we felt unsafe was when we were approached by two men in different uniforms while on the beach at night. My Spanish is terrible and I thought we were going to jail for who knows what- but it turns out they were warning us about safety and said we should go back to our casa.
Actually we had such a nice time we were thinking of returning this year. After reading the other post on this area, I was a little concerned. Thanks for the replies and any other info would be appreciated.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
let's be realistic, the place is very remote and the town itself is spread out alot. there is no bank in town so every visitor or expat in the area is a possible target, knowing they have funds stored somewhere on their person or dwelling. especially in the surrounding hills and beaches away from town center. anyone with criminal intentions will be attracted so prepare accordingly. i also noticed while there you seem to be accosted more by sellers than in LT which is one reason i like LT better, but as a disclaimer i never felt threatened or in danger there and would return, it is a lovely place with many natural attractions and overall nice and friendly people.