Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update opening Savings Account

OK since being that dumb with the "passport depurificacion" which obviously gets not enough attention I decided to open a new thread hopefully finding some information now....

The issue is I cannot figure out where or what bank gives one an account right away here in Bavaro. As far I asked around it is none. We have accounts in the name of my wife at Banco Leon and Banco Popular (both in good standing) and in BOTH institutions they require "depurar" my Passport and "referenciales comerciales" (which I have) even for only adding me as an additional beneficiary to the existing accounts. That makes it impossible for me to believe that foreigners went into a bank with their passport and came out half an hour later with their "libreta". Banco Popular needs 2 - 3 days and Banco Leon a month (!) to "depurar" ones passport. I need the account fast b/c I receive weekly payments from the US and the next is due.

Another question I have is I owned an account at BanReservas, but I abandoned it (less than 10 years) and lost the card / libreta. Somebody knows if I can re-activate it with my passport? That would solve everything for me.

The other issue I have an old debt with codetel out of reluctance to pay for a service charged but not delivered as promised , could it be that a bank would refuse to allow me to open a savings account? Where could a debt like that be "stored" and where I could get information about that?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a suggestion

In the interim before you are able to open a bank account, you may consider opening a Paypal account. You could then have the weekly payments that you receive sent to you via Paypal.

Jimmy

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Paypal I have but it is of no use since paypal does not pay out to Dominican Banks. I use paypal for online shopping though. Thanks anyway.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Never mind, Caribmike responded about PAYPAL in RD, useless without a US or EU bank account!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a visa prepaid card of Banco Leon, Paypal can deposit on that.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post
    A Dominican bank account can not be linked to PAYPAL, plain and simple miamor. See for yourself on the on PAYPAL website. You can send money to somone with a PAYPAL account, but they will not get it transferred to a Dominican bank account.

FROM PAYPAL WEBSITE

Recipients in the Dominican Republic can withdraw money you send using one of the following options:
    • Spend the money online at thousands of stores that accept PayPal
    • Transfer it to their U.S. bank account (withdrawl takes 3-5 days)
    Last edited by Tamborista; 07-16-2011 at 06:31 PM.

7. Likes Peters liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post
    I don't think so, we are talking about (unfortunately) a "Dominican" Paypal account, and the prepaid card from Leon is...
    In my Paypal the only option is a "US Bank Account" which, as non US citizen I can't get. Everything else is NOT supported.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a Leon prepaid Visa, that is....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    Well, I have a Leon prepaid Visa, that is....
    Trust me, you can NOT transfer a PAYPAL balance to a Dominican Debit Card!
    You need a US or EU bank account linked to your PAYPAL account to move the money from PAYPAL back to the bank.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't tried it yet but gonna check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast