Why going to the doctor is soo expensive?

mmccom2

Sep 7, 2010
I took my husbands child to the clinica and it cost 500.00 dollars because he was sick with a fever, diahrea,etc. You know common cold symptoms. We went just to be sure he didn't have anything fatle. But Why does it cost soo much?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
La Consulta

I took my husbands child to the clinica and it cost 500.00 dollars because he was sick with a fever, diahrea,etc. You know common cold symptoms. We went just to be sure he didn't have anything fatle. But Why does it cost soo much?

A 'consulta' (without lab tests) is around 500 to 1,200 RD$.

Whom did you pay, the doctor or your husband?

donP

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Wow, I was at the clinic on Friday and paid RD500$, then another RD500$ for my medication from the pharmacy. =RD1000$.

If you want to throw your money away then I have empty pockets waiting to be filled!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Lady, you've been jipped. Before I had my insurance my son was sick with stomach virus, we went to HOMS emergency room, were admitted by his pediatrician, stayed overnight in a gold suite, received medications, etc. And the bill was not even 8,000 pesos (it was around $215us).
SMDH

SHALENA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had a complete cardiac workup uncluding stress, carotid doppler, echocardio, lab tests and 2 consults for $150 less than that.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
mmcc, your husband is Dominican yes? did you actually take him or are you covering a red face having given your husband this money and kind of knowing it was way overboard on price?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I've mentioned in other posts " Light (EXPOSURE) is the best purifiyer " UNLESS !
1. your husband went to USA for exam ?
2. Your husband has a girl friend ?
3. I'm out of UNLESS'S

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a visit to a normal doctor, sans insurance is 500 PESOS. some posh arseholes in SD may charge more.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
It was so expensive because you were along.

Next time, let mom, grandma, tia, someone else do it. And if your husband agreed to pay that much, you're in for trouble. Dominicans who care for you help you steer clear of gringo pricing--even the ones that may take advantage of you someday don't want somebody else to take advantage of you on their watch.

It's sometimes irritating to be told to wait in the car, but often it makes more sense.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What is this Getting Screwed month

First an accident now a doctor's bill. Next a monger will post that his Ho charged him 200 bucks. Lady read the preceeding posts. Somebody took you for a ride.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It was so expensive because you were along.

It's sometimes irritating to be told to wait in the car, but often it makes more sense.

You mean alone maybe? And that is not even enough for her to be cheated out of that kind of money, that is daylight thrashing by her own family.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well from her post we don't know where they went (makes a huge difference), what tests were performed, how long were they there, etc...It could easily cost that much if they went to an expensive place like Hospiten without insurance and had many tests done. It if was just a regular clinic then yeah she got taken.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Us$?

... it cost 500.00 dollars ...

Just to make sure: Are you talking about 500 Dominican pesos, or 500 U.S. dollars? Sometimes people say "dollars" here when they mean pesos, and sometimes Dominicans say "pesos" when they are living in the U.S. and talking about dollars. You know, when they're still kind of in transition...and, um, yeah...

Wishful thinking, really. :ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well from her post we don't know where they went (makes a huge difference), what tests were performed, how long were they there, etc...It could easily cost that much if they went to an expensive place like Hospiten without insurance and had many tests done. It if was just a regular clinic then yeah she got taken.

i was recently in UNION, had a full set of tests, blood, urine, citologia, mammografia and sonografia and the full price was still less than 100 dollars - factura shows full price and split insurance/pacient.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Like others, I think it was 500 pesos. Somebody took the OP for a ride.

It reminds me of some friends who visited Santo Domingo back in the 80s and loved it, except "the restaurants are SOOOOO expensive". Yeah, well, they didn't bother changing $$ into pesos, so they were paying in dollars instead because they thought "it was easier". The exchange wasn't as high as now, but STILL it was ridiculous.

AE

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
We are just from hospital, was in POP in Centro Medico. My daughter had some pain in her stomach, we stayed there over night, she had 3 IV's, urine, blood and ka-ka test twice, paid total 6500 pesos... still expencive and they didnt say what she actually had, pain was gone this morning by itself.