Hello everyone.Is this the right desicion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallerito25

Jul 18, 2011
Working hard in USA
Hello I'm new to DR1 and I was looking through many posts and threads and couldn't find anything that helped me out. So let me start out by saying that I'm 20 and I have a small business in NY but i dont like the life over here its not my thing. I went to school here almost my whole life and never really went to college as my business is doing good. So I love the life in Dominican republic and my family owns a house and some acres in Bonao Mon Senor Nouel RD and in Yamasa its in the country. I love the culture there and I miss it so much I want to move there next year when I meet my goal (money savings goal) I want to leave this country for good. I know I'm young and stuff but my parents are over there and most of my family is over here in NY but I just dont like it here So is it a smart move to go to DR and move over there for someone like me? I 'm planning on saving up 20k i have a little under that so far should i take my money and invest it over there? How would a head shop work in Dr that's what I do for a living in NY i own a head shop. I mean business is great but I just cant take enough of this Governments BUllSH*T . Like in Dr there is more freedom overall a better country to live in in my opinion. So in your honest opinion is it a smart move? for me to go over there and take my saved up money and start a business over there by the way how do yo guys think a head shop would do over there?
ALL Comments are appreciated and please help me out. Thank You in advance
Sincerely Gallerito25

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If "head shop" means doing hair and nails, take a close look at the town where you are thinking of locating. In Sosua there are already too many and still more open. With so many, business is very slow for all.

I think you will make a better living where you are.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are you both joking or do you really not know what a head shop is? :D

To the OP - I would think it would not be an option in the DR - although there is definitely drug consumption there is not much of an overt drug culture. I've also heard that drug paraphernalia and even drug-related symbols are either illegal, or at least likely to attract arrest.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well add me to list of ignoramuses 'cos I don't know what a head shop is either!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Good to learn a new term. I really thought the OP meant a shop specialized for repairing the engine heads. Thats what we call in India.

Just now read in wikipedia it meant,

A head shop is a retail outlet specializing in drug paraphernalia used for consumption of cannabis, other recreational drugs, legal highs, legal party powders and New Age herbs, as well as counterculture art, magazines, music, clothing, and home decor; some head shops also sell oddities, such as antique walking sticks.
Products purchaseable in these outlets typically include pipes; pipe screens; bongs (often called water pipes in countries with drug paraphernalia laws); roach clips; vaporizers; rolling papers; rolling machines; scales or balances; blacklight-responsive posters; incense; cigarette lighters; legal drugs such as whipped-cream chargers (which contain nitrous oxide) and Salvia divinorum (illegal in some countries and US states); and products such as the Whizzinator claiming to give false negative results for drug urinalysis tests; as well as items to enhance sex, such as dildos and vibrators.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Only judging by the OP's language and lack of grammar I assumed that it had something to do with modern-day culture and therefore drugs.

However, I asked my son who was here and he did not know.

My advice? Fuggetaboutit!! Do not for one moment think that such a place here would work. Government policy is not tolerant regarding anything to do with drugs.

Go back to school. Learn something. Stay there. In fact, we do not really want your type of mentality here, since drugs, dude, are your "thing", and this country does not need that type of thing...You get my drift?

Stay away. And 20 large is chicken feed, so think about putting some more zeros on the end of that number...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Now that I have been educated by Chiri--what would we do without you?--I am even more certain you should stay where you are. If you think your business is hurt now by lack of freedom then you are in for a shock if you try to run the same business here.

The jails here are not nearly as comfortable as those in the US, and guards don't have the restrictions on prisoner abuse that their counterparts in the US do.

I'm surprised to hear you don't have more money than you do. I thought anything related to drugs paid better than that.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I'm seconding HillBilly, as I find I always do (he does offer the best advice :) ) Yikes. If you want to come down here and do something worthwhile and legal, then more power to you! If not, stay in NY and use that saved-up money for a better education so you can open a more lucrative - and legal - business in the DR someday :)

Good luck!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Everyday on DR1, I read a made up post like this, lol... A head shop, lol..
Ya sure guy, you can call it "Bongs for Dominicans"... or "quality glass crack pipes for the DR"
You could sell Rose stems and brillo pads...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Everyday on DR1, I read a made up post like this, lol... A head shop, lol..
Ya sure guy, you can call it "Bongs for Dominicans"... or "quality glass crack pipes for the DR"
You could sell Rose stems and brillo pads...

This has to be made up.

And if someone is reading this thinking this might actually be a possibility, a head shop here would be suicide. If the tigueres didn't kill you for the dope and money, then a local traficante would, thinking you were working for the competition. Either way, it would not be pleasant.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I guess you guys aren't American baby boomers - we ALL know what a head shop is, even if we've never actually been in one.

As far as DR - nope. Better think of a different career if you're moving there....

AE

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Hello I'm new to DR1 and I was looking through many posts and threads and couldn't find anything that helped me out. So let me start out by saying that I'm 20 and I have a small business in NY but i dont like the life over here its not my thing. I went to school here almost my whole life and never really went to college as my business is doing good. So I love the life in Dominican republic and my family owns a house and some acres in Bonao Mon Senor Nouel RD and in Yamasa its in the country. I love the culture there and I miss it so much I want to move there next year when I meet my goal (money savings goal) I want to leave this country for good. I know I'm young and stuff but my parents are over there and most of my family is over here in NY but I just dont like it here So is it a smart move to go to DR and move over there for someone like me? I 'm planning on saving up 20k i have a little under that so far should i take my money and invest it over there? How would a head shop work in Dr that's what I do for a living in NY i own a head shop. I mean business is great but I just cant take enough of this Governments BUllSH*T . Like in Dr there is more freedom overall a better country to live in in my opinion. So in your honest opinion is it a smart move? for me to go over there and take my saved up money and start a business over there by the way how do yo guys think a head shop would do over there?
ALL Comments are appreciated and please help me out. Thank You in advance
Sincerely Gallerito25
Do the RD a big big favor and stay in NY

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Now now, people, I know that drug laws in the DR are what they are, the culture is what it is, and it's a DUMB idea to introduce this type of business into the DR (the local druglords will destroy it post haste). But you all should be aware that at least FOUR states in the US have laws for MEDICAL marijuana and "head shops" are more the norm than you might think. Grandma with cancer needs a quality instrument to receive her medicine. I am not advocating the use of illegal drugs. But your typical drug user from a medical perspective is not who you might think. Also, for what it is worth, and where is DV8 when you need her, but people are on prescription drugs with far great repercussions and side effects than what this guy is dabbling in. A lot of stereotypes exist about marijuana, and I can only imagine what kind of "shop" this fellow has in mind...but I am trying to share some new information so people are not all lumped together.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Now now, people, I know that drug laws in the DR are what they are, the culture is what it is, and it's a DUMB idea to introduce this type of business into the DR (the local druglords will destroy it post haste). But you all should be aware that at least FOUR states in the US have laws for MEDICAL marijuana and "head shops" are more the norm than you might think. Grandma with cancer needs a quality instrument to receive her medicine. I am not advocating the use of illegal drugs. But your typical drug user from a medical perspective is not who you might think. Also, for what it is worth, and where is DV8 when you need her, but people are on prescription drugs with far great repercussions and side effects than what this guy is dabbling in. A lot of stereotypes exist about marijuana, and I can only imagine what kind of "shop" this fellow has in mind...but I am trying to share some new information so people are not all lumped together.
Oh please spare me , and maybe he should open a quaint lil meth shop next store ?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Chuck T, I won't spare you. I'll tell you like it is. It's a valid medical option in at least four states. You are perpetuating a stereotype. Granny may use a vaporizer to ingest medical marijuana. I doubt she is doing meth. Sorry to inform you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.