no luz? no problemo!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the link is in polish, sorry about that, just click on a video, in english, to find out about the fantastic idea from MIT students who bring light into the houses of the poor by the means of a bottle with water and few spoons of bleach.
would it catch on in DR?

Litr

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fantastic idea!!! And it is applicable here for sure in every barrio. Not much good for the nighttime but for daytime use in shanty towns, it is excellent. Very "green"...very elemental...Thanks DV8!!

Feb 7, 2007
the link is in polish, sorry about that, just click on a video, in english, to find out about the fantastic idea from MIT students who bring light into the houses of the poor by the means of a bottle with water and few spoons of bleach.
would it catch on in DR?

Litr

From the video it was clear about the water - reflecting light at 360 degrees ... but the report said nothing about the effects of bleach ... what would be different between using just water as opposed to water with bleach?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I think the bleach is used to kill bacteria and micro organisms. Over time bacteria and/or micro organism growth would make the water less and less transparent. Eventually the water would need to be replaced, making the 'solar lamp' a bit less appealing due to maintenance issues.

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Here is the official answer...
Kevin Warnock said:
A Solar Bottle Bulb is a clear water or soda bottle filled with tap water and a little bleach. This bottle in embedded into the roofs of houses, with part of the bottle outside, and part of it inside. There is sealant around the hole to keep the roof weather proof. When the sun hits the outside part of the bottle, a lot of light reaches the inside part of the bottle. The water inside the bottle makes the light omnidirectional, mimiking an electric light bulb. The bleach keeps the water clear for years. Without the bleach, the water would quickly turn green with algae. Without the water, there would be a bright spot on the floor, surrounded by relative darkness.

Source:Litre of Light – nearly free solar lights made with plastic water bottles and bleach at Kevin Warnock

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would like to see this applied in DR but i am not sure where would one start?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i would like to see this applied in DR but i am not sure where would one start?
On your kitchen table. That's where inspiration usually starts.

It is a brilliant idea. One could make a higher quality solution for not a lot of $$$.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It's great !!! The only issue is that once it's dark outside, night time, light goes off inside as well... But thumbs up anyway !!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is an awesome idea! I'm going to talk to the folks at the Dream Project in Cabarete and asee if they can get a pilot program going in one of the barrios in this area....