Summer activity for kids

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

We just moved in to Santo Domingo a week ago and are wondering if anyone knows about places where kids can go for summer activiies. We have a 5 year old son. He was very active when we were still in the US and now is pretty bored since he is in a small apartment all the time with his mom.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
Thank you much. I have been told not to visit park because it isn't safe. Is this a true statement? Thanks again.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Santo Domingo is the most child unfriendly city on the face of the earth, hence we moved as our child became more active. Sorry but other than an hours trip around the zoo, there is zilch!
All I could recommend is enrolling him in music lessons, baseball practice, 5 a side, at least to get him out the house. But if his Spanish isn't good he probably won't get much enjoyment from that either.
Good luck (or that should say, better luck than we had)

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
kids stuff

Kids stuff, right now there may be a few of the campamientos still taking kids, its Dominican Day Camp, prices are reasonable, look up the ads in the news papers.

Agua splash is pretty great place for the kids, kiddie pool and water slides, my kids, 3, 4, 4 & 9 love it there, adults 300 pesos kids 200 pesos all day fun, under 3 free.

Agua Splash, Republica Dominicana | Facebook

You do not say what part of the city you are in, but Parque Mirador Norte has several play grounds, RD$30 per person can not beat that, the kids love it there too.

Then our back yard keeps them pretty busy too........

g'luck

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Practically every private school and pre-school has a summer camp, and many would be in English or at least bi-lingual. Which part of the city are you living in?

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
Summer Camp

There is a good summer camp not expensive at the Brilliant Minds School on Las Americas near San Vicente De Paul, they have swimming, arts and crafts field trips, even reading and language classes for ages 2+. Both of my kids are there. Cost is RD$ 2,500.00 per week includes a snack as well, or RD$ 3,500 per week if you do the extended day, 8-5, normal camp is 8-1.

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
Hi everyone, thanks again for all great inputs. Today we also scheduled on schools tour on Friday this week. So I think ask them as well about what they offer for summer camps. We live in Santo Domingo. I am not sure about the name of the area but it is in Av Sarasota. I appreciate everyone's input.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Sounds like i should put a summer/after school Circus arts school in the capital, People have suggested i do it in the past but I wasn't sure if it was needed. Does anyone think it would work as it would take some major $$$$ to set it up properly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you're on Avenida Sarasota the sector is called Buena Vista or Mirador Sur. You're near two of the best private schools in the capital - Carol Morgan and New Horizons. There are several other schools in the area: smaller schools and lots of little pre-schools. The Mirador Sur park is not dangerous in the daytime, especially in the children's play areas where there are a lot of people around, but it is advisable to take a minimum of valuables - this applies to anywhere in the capital if you're going to be on foot.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
My kids liked Museo Trampolin when we visited Santo Domingo. Granted, it's only a few hours out of a whole summer.... but it's something, yes?