BUT...to answer your question. Gallerito

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Hello everyone.Is this the right desicion?
gallerito25:
Hello I'm new to DR1 and I was looking through many posts and threads and couldn't find anything that helped me out. So let me start out by saying that I'm 20 and I have a small business in NY but i dont like the life over here its not my thing. I went to school here almost my whole life and never really went to college as my business is doing good. So I love the life in Dominican republic and my family owns a house and some acres in Bonao Mon Senor Nouel RD and in Yamasa its in the country. I love the culture there and I miss it so much I want to move there next year when I meet my goal (money savings goal) I want to leave this country for good. I know I'm young and stuff but my parents are over there and most of my family is over here in NY but I just dont like it here So is it a smart move to go to DR and move over there for someone like me? I 'm planning on saving up 20k i have a little under that so far should i take my money and invest it over there? How would a head shop work in Dr that's what I do for a living in NY i own a head shop. I mean business is great but I just cant take enough of this Governments BUllSH*T . Like in Dr there is more freedom overall a better country to live in in my opinion. So in your honest opinion is it a smart move? for me to go over there and take my saved up money and start a business over there by the way how do yo guys think a head shop would do over there?
ALL Comments are appreciated and please help me out. Thank You in advance
Sincerely Gallerito25

A barber shop is a viable business in DR. But you have to think realistically and also cautiously. Why did your parents leave Bonao in the 1st place? And the answer is that there is more opportunity in NY than they could get in Bonao. Now you want to go back because YOU THINK it would be better. Well, lil bro, it wont. Living permanently is VERY DIFFERENT than coming during summer vacations.

You will use that money to start a business and the rely on the contacts your parents told you about to find a suitable location for a barber shop but in the end, everyone will be out to hustle you. You couldnt cut hair for what they charge here, well you could, but you wouldnt be content with your earnings. Besides, at 20 you would be more likely to jump the gun and do many things you should do and some things you shouldnt do with the young women your age. You should do everything but MARRY her at your age. At 20, you, in the Dominican Republic should be nothing but a boner and a loner. You would be most likely misunderstanding her motives. You came here with $20K which you are going to blow, and she thinks you have more and have no better thing to do than spend it all on her. And when it is gone so is she...and everyone else of those whom you thought were your friends(even your family, trust me there).

Listen, you love your people and your place and therefore I think what you should do is keep your thing going in New York as a barber. The pay isnt bad, they have flights from all 3 major airports daily and besides you are your own man. Look for more lucrative investment opportunities in NY. You can come as often as you like, every 3-4 months, or every 6 months for a month then you can have the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. You can get your Boy from Bonao fill, you can hang some of the finest 20 year old women you have ever seen and leave before they get on your nerves. People will love you because you look like a big time baller and you arent stressing about being burnt out in New York.

I think it is great that you graduated high school and became instantly entrepreneurial by starting your own barber shop. And that you could save $20K in 2 years is a good deal no matter what any old fogey says. Every other 18 year old would have bought a brand new Camaro or something. College isnt for everyone and it doesnt mean you will be any less productive than any one else. But most likely you would be $20K in the hole instead instead of up $20K.

Yea, I know the government can eat away your ambition with all the regulations and permits and agencies, etc. But its for the benefit of the city, besides an interloping government is way better than an incompetent one.
=
Except for Shalena, everyone had no idea what the hell you meant when you said what you did. Says more about them and how useless any other information they could give you would be. These guys are so square you could hit them over the head with a slab of wood and make a dinner table out of them. "My research tells me..." "The education I m getting here..." and what is the persistent cardiac infarction we are getting about grammar? You did understand what he was asking right? The general point was should I bail on NY and move to Monsenor Noeul at 20? The Answer: No, but come to visit and live it up likewise.

How do all you boneheads draw nefarious conclusions while openly admitting to being ignorant in what the OP was specifically stating? Why didnt you just ask him and wait for a response? He started the thread at 430 in the morning. He has a job, he was at work, give him time and let him respond.

None of these guys know that for a young Dominican man in New York there are very few job opportunities available. He could get a commercial drivers' license, but he is too young for anyone to hire him. Until he turns 25 he is in the high risk pool. So that leaves low wage dead end jobs if he doesnt know anyone to give him a heads up. But a steady hand and $75 for electric clippers allows him to be self-sufficient.

Sad....

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I will give him the benefit of the doubt and let him come back and say he was referring to a barber shop.

Too much posting referring to a "head shop" which sells marijuana OR drug paraphernalia, so I closed.

Racerx, no need to start up new thread. The OP could of done that if he or she chose to.

Anyway, let's see where this goes.

Last edited:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Too much gossip about something no one knew anything about was what it was. One guy took bad information and everyone else ran with it. This dude was happy to have a successful business at 20 in NY. He earns and saved more than a dude delivering pizzas for Dominos.

You re right he could have started a new thread if he cared to come back and sent a moderator a private message and was even more willing consider the useless advice he got from a bunch of old fogeys who didnt know what a barbershop was.

By the way most internet references to marijuana are always referred to as 420 (cannabis culture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Who said anything about marijuana? A head shop (in the usual sense) does not sell anything that is actually illegal. But I will give you and the OP of the closed thread the benefit of the doubt if you can give me links to examples of "head shop" being used to mean barber shop.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
But I will give you and the OP of the closed thread the benefit of the doubt if you can give me links to examples of "head shop" being used to mean barber shop.

Exactly, "head shop" for me is a place where they sell paraphernalia, some of those shops in Cali and Amsterdam do sell cannabis.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Who said anything about marijuana? A head shop (in the usual sense) does not sell anything that is actually illegal. But I will give you and the OP of the closed thread the benefit of the doubt if you can give me links to examples of "head shop" being used to mean barber shop.

A head shop in New York City is a barber shop. The cultural reference is where you go to get your hair fixed...or hair done...or did. I dont need the benefit of the doubt. I KNOW what I am talking about. I dont care about Holland or Abu Dabi or wherever.

And since all other drugs besides prescription and small quantities of marijuana are illegal in New York, why would the young man make note of it? He was telling you that he had his mind right. He graduated high school and started his own business. Then all of the nuts tell him to go back to school and get an education after he just said that he doesnt like school?

Sorry Anna, but head shop refers to a MALE barber shop, not a unisex nor female hair salon(think an aggressive store name like Davey D's House of the Hookup and not Creations by Worlo & Wanda). As mentioned above some women in the United States do say "I am going to get my hair did" instead of "hair do" or "get my hair done".

Plus, since when do young people use the same language old people do? You are blaming him because you are old and your hip quotient is from the Hindenburg.

Do you guys watch music videos and see the elaborate hair cuts on the reggaeton/rap/merengue guys? With designs, names, swirls and all types of things? Somebody gotta do that. In order to prevent it from growing out these guys usually get an "edge up" every 6-7 days. And it usually aint getting done in DR. Tell me what the internet says "edge up" means?

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK

We are done here.

If the OP decides to come back, he might agree that he meant a "barber shop" because of all the misery he going to get if he DID mean what we think he meant.

RacerX, you need to take a liquid lunch, maybe?

Seems the heat in NY is getting to you based on the aurora of your posts.

This seems the norm nowadays. Everyone seems to be in "needles and pin" attitudes.

I do not know what is going on but everyone seems to very very tensed.

TIME OUT!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.