Help me find the words. Fence stolen from las americas airport!!!

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
The parimeter fence was stolen from Las Americas Airport this week.At leat 157 poles and the cyclone fence attatched to it were cut and carted away in the night by theives with some heavy duty trucks.Im speechless!!!Is anyone in charge here?An entire international airports security was breached.Well **** it,Im going to cut the fence around the national palace tonight.Why not?Anyone have a large truck that I can use?That scrap metal must be worth a buck or 2 !!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
park it in front of the US EMbassy and they get that airport security tight post haste

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The parimeter fence was stolen from Las Americas Airport this week.At leat 157 poles and the cyclone fence attatched to it were cut and carted away in the night by theives with some heavy duty trucks.Im speechless!!!Is anyone in charge here?An entire international airports security was breached.Well **** it,Im going to cut the fence around the national palace tonight.Why not?Anyone have a large truck that I can use?That scrap metal must be worth a buck or 2 !!!
I think all Airline companies should cancel all flights untill a fence is back up. (Safety & Security reasons). That would get somebody's attention.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Anything

Im speechless!!!
I am amazed that you are.
You have been living here for 10 years, you should know:
These scrap metal gangs steal anything:
fences, guarding rails, sewage covers, power cables, transformers, crosses from tombs, coffin fittings,...

But then, last week also an ostrich was stolen (from the Moca zoo).
So, nothing out of the ordinary really. :laugh:

[The experts on Dominican culture can explain more.]

donP

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Did you read the article about jetblue and Air France complaining about luggage theft at Las Americas?

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...halt-to-luggage-theft-at-Las-Americas-Airport

Honestly, what can you expect out of the general population given that political leadership robs the country blind?

Code of Ethics starts at the top. You'd think that by now they'd have enough folks who don't need any more money to find one to head up security at the Country's largest airport.

I don't care how slick the "salvage thieves" are. They can't pull off and airport perimeter heist without inside help. There are security cameras everywhere, roving guards and traffic all hours of the day and night. How hard would it be to track down 1500' of cyclone fence with poles?

Diogenes would be on suicide watch in the D.R.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The good side is the ones lugging out the luggage and jewellery do not have to work so hard. It's all about making life easy isn't it?

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I think all Airline companies should cancel all flights untill a fence is back up. (Safety & Security reasons). That would get somebody's attention.

I thought the airlines were going to cancel flights because the airport workers steal everything from the bags? Hard to keep track of the goings on at that wacky Las Americas!

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008

How much you figure they'll get for that stolen fence about 3-4kRD? :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I think I have found the words I've ( you've ) been looking for Mike .......you're shi@$#%g me right ? lol

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
I'm just curious...has there been any response from Leonel? Anything along the lines of "heads will roll"? Anyone in the governement make any declaration that 'enough is enough'??? Really, what changes are being made at the airporrt in the security? Any airlines protesting? Stating their refusal to use that airport??? Good golly, Miss Molly...does anyone care?

How bad do things have to get before someone in authority takes a stand???
Yes, It's probably safe to say it was stolen to sell as scrap. But what if it wasn't? What is if this is something more serious? Does anyone in the government, the airport security, any of the airlines care? Did anyone in authority notify the airlines that fly in and out of there of this breach of security?
This is so far beyond ridiculous....

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Good points Anna.Ive heard no statements from any government official.Its truly unbelievable the lack of responsibility/accountability from the President on down.This country is lawless!!!

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Has anyone seen this story on the news?Are there any reporters that would like to get to the bottom of this?Is investigative journalism non existent in the DR?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Another article that appeared today in Dominican Today.

Basically, the head of the anti-corruption is throwing up his hands in defeat, because the judicial system is biased in favor of the wealthy and powerful.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ics-Anticorruption-chief-again-admits-failure

What's bothersome to me is that I can't imagine why any company would be willing to invest in the DR.

I was going to look at importing and installing some solar panels for a few buildings (with grant money), but I realize that unless I'm also willing to invest in trustworthy full-time security at each of the locations, they panels would quickly disappear. As a result, people are dependant on an undependable electrical grid and innovation is thwarted.

Time for a Brugal something.