Spanish Night Classes in English

sogon78

Jul 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the site and also to the country.

I'm a Korean who resides in New York and dispatched to Santo Domingo for work.

I'll be here for 12 ~ 24 months.

I do not speak a word of Spanish but am eagerly willing to learn.

Do you guys recommend any Spanish classes around the area which I can attend after work on weekdays?

I would prefer a local university affiliated institution if possible.

Also would love to hear your experience with them if any of you have attended them in the past or present.

Thanks very much!

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Hey
Welcome to the D.R. What you asking is not possible. It's like saying you want to learn English in Korean.
I would recommend Dominicano Americano. It's located in Zonal Universitaria along the Lincon avenue. They have different spanish levels (I - IV). Evening classes are available from 5 o'clock. Costs about 150bucks for the 3/4 month period.

Suerte!!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Hey
Welcome to the D.R. What you asking is not possible. It's like saying you want to learn English in Korean.
I would recommend Dominicano Americano. It's located in Zonal Universitaria along the Lincon avenue. They have different spanish levels (I - IV). Evening classes are available from 5 o'clock. Costs about 150bucks for the 3/4 month period.

Suerte!!

Instituto Cultural Dominico Americano

There you go.

sogon78

Jul 19, 2011
Seems like I will have to wait till September to enroll. Are there any other suggestions?

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Rosetta Stone (Latin America) does a great job with grammar, but it is costly. Also, it isn't going to give you much of the conversational piece which you will definitely need. Itunes has several podcast downloads which are free. I've had to mix and match. Classrooms are usually the best way to earn; however, the aforementioned should provide you something to work with until you get enrolled. Good luck Don

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
September is just a couple of weeks away. You may want to familiarise yourself with the culture, and the locals too. Use the internet to learn the basic words. Try to use the words on the streets. Get the hang of dominican slang.
Listen to dominicans speak, and especially to the rhythm and body (hands) movement. You might not know spanish, but that alone can help you understand the message context.

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
I will also go to them. They gave me quote the other day for private class as well. They said the private class is for 425 pesos/hr. The teacher will come to you place or meet you at a location that you decide. I also missed the group class so this is another option to consider.

sogon78

Jul 19, 2011
I paid a bit of late fee (500$RD) and was able to register late at Dmonicano Americana. As I have mentioned I do not speak a word of Spanish and I am absolutely lost in the class for the 2 hours but it's a start. Thanks all for your inputs.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Pimsleurs is a good course (on CD's) Pimsleurs is more focused on conversational / Rosetta has more content for grammar and written language. A good combination. You might be able to find them used on Ebay and have them shipped to you.

Last edited: