Entering DR with a criminal record

VanillaGorilla

Jul 20, 2011
I have a misdemeanor on my record for possession of a controlled substance. I was on probation for 6 months. Would this stop me from entering the DR? My fiance and I are going on vacation and I just want to make sure I'll be able to enter.

I got my passport after the conviction. I was denied access to Canada because of the conviction which makes me worry.

Thanks,

VanillaGorilla

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You should be OK to enter...just a little word of advise is stay away from controlled substances while in The DR, cause down there you're not going to get probation but go straight to a Dominican jail...a place you definitely DO NOT want to be at.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you were denied entry into Canada, how did the officials find out about your drug conviction?

When you enter the DR, the first step is to give your passport to an immigration officer in a booth. Although you cannot see what he is doing, it is obvious that he is checking the passport against something. He doesn't just take it and stamp it, he takes it into the booth and down to desk level. When he is satisfied after doing whatever he does, he stamps the passport.

If you and your passport are on some sort of official list that is available to authorities internationally, you may have a problem entering the DR.

I am wondering if the posters who say you will not have a problem are really sure of that. If so, I would be interested in knowing what the immigration officer checks the passport against before stamping it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Canada takes a different of DUI's and controlled substance offences..... they are Federal crimes in Canada, just state offence on USA.

The border boys share a lot of Can/Am info.

My Cdn friend was almost denied a Maryland driver's license 10 years ago.............. over an unpaid speeding ticket in Maine which occurred in the 1960's - pre computers

Big brother is watching.....

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
I have done time

I have done time in Europe, I was on an Interpol search and capture list.

I was detained in Spain and in the end asked to be extradited back the country who had the search and capture out. Had the Colombian equivalent of FBI looking for me in Colombia contacting all my friends and ex-family after I had left Colombia.

I have done my time yet I am invited in for a chat with the Colombian FBI every time I arrive and depart any airport in Colombia.

However, the 6-7 trips I have made to DR the last 4 years I have had no troubles or inquisition with the Immigration officers at all so I guess you wont either and I believe the only reason why the Colombians has an eye on me is because the matter I was involved in had to do with Colombian citizens.

Have a nice trip

donP

Dec 14, 2008
All Are Welcome

I have done time in Europe, I was on an Interpol search and capture list.
However, the 6-7 trips I have made to DR the last 4 years I have had no troubles or inquisition with the Immigration officers

I believe you.

donP

VanillaGorilla

Jul 20, 2011
Trust me, I won't be messing with any controlled substances. I wasn't here either, but my brother left them in my truck when I pulled over for speeding. They searched my vehicle cause I was drinking. Of course they were in a baggy so I was screwed.

Canada seems much more strict. They just happened to give me a random search because it was my first time to Canada and they weren't busy. Canada explained that they take whatever is on your record and apply it to their laws.

I'm curious as well if other posters are sure I'll get in. I've seen a lot of other people say that there won't be a problem unless I'm wanted.

Feb 7, 2007
Travel via Punta Cana, go among the group of many travelers (peak time) and your big chances are your passport check will consist of comparing your passport photo to you standing there, having your passport stamped and handed over.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've seen a lot of other people say that there won't be a problem unless I'm wanted.

And that may be what is being checked on.

But you have to wonder about the screening process. I recall a couple of times in the past year when there were well publicized arrests in Cabarete and elsewhere of people on the Interpol wanted list. How did they get in the country in the first place?

The only real way to find out is to get on that plane with your girl friend. Most likely all will go well, providing you aren't so nervous about getting in that you give the immigration officer cause to be suspicious. And since you are not wanted, the worst thing that can happen is to be put on the plane and sent back.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you really want to be sure, check with the State Department to be sure that any hold placed on your passport during your period of bail, parole or probation has been removed. They are quick to place the holds, slow to remove them.
U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Office of Law Enforcement Liaison
1111 19th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705
Phone: (202) 955-0447
Fax: (202) 955-0288

Passport Information for Criminal Law Enforcement Officers

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
you should be fine. A friend of mine has the same type of conviction, only from Canada, and he's been in and out of the country several times without a problem at all.

VanillaGorilla

Jul 20, 2011
At belmont, I didn't get the passport until after the charge....4 years after. So I don't think I'd have any holds on it.

I'm leaving next Friday so hopefully I won't run into any issues!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
All that will go against you is if you have outstanding warrants for your arrest, if you are on bail, or if you are on parole (in which case you can still leave in certain circumstances). Apart from the Parole, the same applies when making an application for residency. As long as there are no outstanding warrants, no time to serve etc you are fine to go.
As far as the passport check goes, I think they are only doing basic checks to see whether it is a fake or not, there are basic screen/light tests they do for different passports. This is why some people get through quickly, and some a little more time. The new electronic passports go through and are checked quickly, someone with an 8 year old Bulgarian tatty passport or an unusual passport needs to be looked at more as he needs time to find the basic checks for that particular passport.

As far as you entering goes, you will not be bothered.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
. Apart from the Parole, the same applies when making an application for residency. As long as there are no outstanding warrants, no time to serve etc you are fine to go.
You're saying that even if the Certificate of Good Conduct from your home country indicates a past conviction, no problem for Residencia???????

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You're saying that even if the Certificate of Good Conduct from your home country indicates a past conviction, no problem for Residencia???????

For the most part yes (obviously I can only go off experience and through others experiences I know and what the lawyers opinion is), obviously certain significant cases may differ the outcome, but for your average joe with a few insignificant convictions it doesn't make much odds. Have you been advised differently?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
For the most part yes (obviously I can only go off experience and what the lawyers opinion is), obviously certain significant cases may differ the outcome, but for your average joe with a few insignificant convictions it doesn't make much odds. Have you been advised differently?
Had an employee we brought from the US. When our Dominican company attorney saw that he had a previous conviction (4th degree posession, served probation) 5 years previously, he advised us not to waste time and money applying for Residencia for him. We kept him on the US payroll and off the Dominican books.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Wow, that is harsh. Not the experience I have experienced at all. I know a hand full of people who have insignificant convictions and are residents. My lawyers told me as there was nothing outstanding that there should be no issue, as long as the something was only a 'something' not a 'SOMETHING'. Different experience there Belmont.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Wow, that is harsh. Not the experience I have experienced at all. I know a hand full of people who have insignificant convictions and are residents. My lawyers told me as there was nothing outstanding that there should be no issue, as long as the something was only a 'something' not a 'SOMETHING'. Different experience there Belmont.
You may be right. Our attorney may have been over-cautious. We just saved the money and kept him under the radar.