Dominican equivalent of Sandals Resort in Negril Jamaica

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I recently found out my brother has planned a trip to Sandals Negril without letting me know. Apparently the local travel agency could not recommend any equivalent resorts in the DR and since he had been there before and never to the DR plus with the wife's input voila they chose Jamaica.

Since I know nothing about AI and only went to one once for two days on my honeymoon I would appreciate any one's input to equivalent resorts here in the DR in terms of cost and amenities. Location is not important. Thanks very, very much.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I thought Secrets Excellence and its sister property Dreams were about the same concept as Sandals. From what I understand they both cater to adults / honeymoon couples with top of the line restaurants, beverages, etc...Never been to either one so not talking from first hand experience, but they both sound like excellent choices. Try http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/ for reviews. I read a couple of the reviews and some of the people had stayed at Sandals and liked Excellence better. There are of course some people who didn't have the greatest of experiences, but you always find those.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for the info guys, I'm really in the dark on this matter.

Thanks for the link too, too bad I can't speak with Debbie though. :cross-eye

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the Conchman offers

I would bet that some AI resorts in the Punta Cana area are actually much better than Sandals

ever been to Sandals, Conchman? can you tell us on what authority comes such a wager? are you aware that the guys from Sandals, Butch Stewart and the Issa Brothers are the guys who taught the caribbean all inclusive tourism? they wrote the book, in case you did not know. over to you.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You can always book Casa de Campo at the AI rate. It is about $150/day/pp over the room only rate. Includes all meals, snacks, premium and activities except golf.

Feb 7, 2007
Iberostar Grand and Paradisus Palma Real are great top-notch hotels, as well as Hard Rock. Secrets and Excelence resorts are also super-duper luxury places. Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana will set you back about 300 dollars per night per person. Also Sivory offers "Once in a lifetime" package for about 250 per night per person. For that touch of supe rluxury you can also consider Zoetry Agua Punta Cana.

Price-wise it's about like this: (from cheapest to the most expensive)

- Dreams Palm Beach
- Dreams Punta Cana
- Secrets Royal Beach (ex-NH)
- Excelence Punta Cana
- Hard Rock
- Iberostar Grand
- Sivory non-AI
- Paradisus Palma Real
- Sivory AI once-in-a-lifetime
- Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana
- Sivory AI standard
- Zoetry Agua

Feb 7, 2007
... based on the per-night rate in Sivory, Secrets Sanctuary and Zoetry (in all cases over $500 per room per night) I would expect even the gardener and housekeepers to speak spotless English and at least one or two more languages....

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the Conchman offers

I would bet that some AI resorts in the Punta Cana area are actually much better than Sandals

ever been to Sandals, Conchman? can you tell us on what authority comes such a wager? are you aware that the guys from Sandals, Butch Stewart and the Issa Brothers are the guys who taught the caribbean all inclusive tourism? they wrote the book, in case you did not know. over to you.

I have stayed at Sandals Antigua and Sandals Nassau Bahamas, and know Butch personally. You are right, he is a pioneer in the AI business, however, I have also stayed at some resorts in Punta Cana, one Secrets (it has another name now) and also Moon Palace, which is now the Hard Rock. Not to take anything away from Butch, but I like those PC resorts better. Maybe its a matter of taste and preferences.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
As far as I am aware Sandals are for couples only...correct?

There are no Couple only resorts in Punta Cana, only Adults only which would be Secrets Sanctuary & Excellence. Some hotels do have an Adults only section, I can personally recommend Fiesta Royale Suits.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Iberostar Grand and Paradisus Palma Real are great top-notch hotels, as well as Hard Rock. Secrets and Excelence resorts are also super-duper luxury places. Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana will set you back about 300 dollars per night per person. Also Sivory offers "Once in a lifetime" package for about 250 per night per person. For that touch of supe rluxury you can also consider Zoetry Agua Punta Cana.

Price-wise it's about like this: (from cheapest to the most expensive)

- Dreams Palm Beach
- Dreams Punta Cana
- Secrets Royal Beach (ex-NH)
- Excelence Punta Cana
- Hard Rock
- Iberostar Grand
- Sivory non-AI
- Paradisus Palma Real
- Sivory AI once-in-a-lifetime
- Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana
- Sivory AI standard
- Zoetry Agua

Oh yes i forgot about Zoetry which looks amazing, I am going there on friday so i will report back!

I would say most "couples" that are looking for an adults only holiday probably want a romantic and intimate hotel. Hard Rock, Palma Real etc are far from Intimate. I would recommend Excellence, Zoetry or Secrets Sanctuary if romance and peace and quiet are your prorities. If staying at Excellence however take a gallon of mosquito spray with you...Mmmmm maybe not so romantic!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Seamonkey states

Any of the RIU's are usually quite good.

not from what i hear. one is actually going out of business, and the word on the other 2 is that they are basically junk. at least, the ones in POP.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Seamonkey states

Any of the RIU's are usually quite good.

not from what i hear. one is actually going out of business, and the word on the other 2 is that they are basically junk. at least, the ones in POP.

I was at the RIU Palace Punta Cana a few years ago and it was really nice. I'm sure there's a notch or two above it in the VERY exclusive VERY expensive resorts... but it's pretty darn good.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was at the RIU Palace Punta Cana a few years ago and it was really nice. I'm sure there's a notch or two above it in the VERY exclusive VERY expensive resorts... but it's pretty darn good.

The RIU hotels are known for fun type vacations, not necessarily for high quality. Their animation teams are great and work their a$$ off to make the tourist happy. I have stayed at the ones in POP and actually had a great time, even though I'm not an AI type of person, but I wouldn't compare them to Sandals by a long shot.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The RIU hotels are known for fun type vacations, not necessarily for high quality. Their animation teams are great and work their a$$ off to make the tourist happy. I have stayed at the ones in POP and actually had a great time, even though I'm not an AI type of person, but I wouldn't compare them to Sandals by a long shot.

I've never been to Sandals, but have been to IberoStar, and RIU was equal to that. Again, not the most exclusive like in Cap Cana, but it was definitely "up scale" compared to Dreams and Princess. It does depend on WHICH RIU (i.e. - Palace vs. Bamboo vs. Macao), since they usually have several different hotels adjacent to each other. I was in the more expensive Palace. Also, I've heard from others that the Punta Cana properties are nicer (newer) that the POP location.

Last edited: