Volunteering and low cost travel

bodleian

Jul 21, 2011
Hi there,
I'm planning on being in the DR for two months beginning in mid-September and am looking for the cheapest way to see the country and immerse myself in the country. Does anyone know any good volunteer organizations that do good work and dont ask for a large particapation fee? Does anyone have any ideas for low cost ways to see the country, such as homestay connections, etc.? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
couchsurfing.net could always be a backup :)

There is a group/family that I've seen that does Spanish language classes in conjunction with their local rural community and you volunteer also... let me look.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Catalina DR

This non-profit out of Cabrera on the North Coast is fairly new. Ashleigh has already been able to do some good work in a short time. They recently finished rebuiding one the schools from the ground up. She is always looking for good volunteers to help with the schools and the children. I'm sure cost would be very reasonable and they can help you with all. I would send her a personal note introducing yourself and explaining what you might be looking for. It's a worthy cause.

Catalina DR Foundation - Helping the children of the Dominican Republic North coast