Driver's License with Temporary Residency?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Can you go for your drivers license with the temporary residency?

My GF won't get temporary residency for another three or four months, but she will get some kind of letter in the meantime to show that its 'in process.' So can she go for drivers license with the letter, with the temporary residency, or does she have to wait for final permanent residency?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I did my drivers license with a temporary residency but you need to have a cedula. The drivers license can only be in the system together with a cedula. Just with a letter I don't think you can get a cedula.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
so if you do not have a cedula and you overstay your tourist permit then driving a vehicle and getting hit by a drunk can suddenly get a lot more complicated? any other options that allow one to drive legally after the visa expires? everyone I talk to just pays a fine on exit for overstaying.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
so if you do not have a cedula and you overstay your tourist permit then driving a vehicle and getting hit by a drunk can suddenly get a lot more complicated? any other options that allow one to drive legally after the visa expires? everyone I talk to just pays a fine on exit for overstaying.
This has been discussed hundreds of times. The answer is still the same for driving, no you cannot legally drive after your tourist visa expires. The fine you pay for overstaying your tourist card is no big deal, driving illegally and causing an accident is. This is a recent thread of dealing with the legal system http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/116549-car-accident.html

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was under the impression that one cannot get a driving license without a cedula, no matter what.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I went to get Drivers Licence with temporary residency and cedula. But they told me that my cedula is not in the system yet and I had to wait for the Permanent Residency.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I went to get Drivers Licence with temporary residency and cedula. But they told me that my cedula is not in the system yet and I had to wait for the Permanent Residency.

I got my drivers license last month and only have my temporary residency. If you have a cedula than it should be in the system...somebody made a mistake.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If she mearly wants to drive then I see no reason why she can not just keep popping across the border once a month or whatever and re entering to reinstate her legal tourist status. ANy reason why this can not be possible?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Bucking the system you mean??? Why can't people just do things properly and according to the rules for a change instead of always trying to find a workaround grrrrrr

We got our driving licences shortly after getting all our paperwork in for our first residency - fortunately the British Embassy verifies the British Licence so no big deal but we still had to go and do the sight test, bloods (if not known) and fingerprints - renewing is much easier.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
how long does it take to get the cedula? can I start, or maybe complete the process, during a stay of a couple/few weeks when my condo is finished?

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
That car accident link reads like a horror movie. I agree totally that you should never be driving unless your credentials are legit with the country you are visiting/living. I've driven in 30 or so countries, and most authorities will look at an accident with an unauthorized driver as the fault. If the unauthorized driver had not been driving then the accident would have not occurred. Thanks for that link belmont. It's a good reminder.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
That car accident link reads like a horror movie. I agree totally that you should never be driving unless your credentials are legit with the country you are visiting/living. I've driven in 30 or so countries, and most authorities will look at an accident with an unauthorized driver as the fault. If the unauthorized driver had not been driving then the accident would have not occurred. Thanks for that link belmont. It's a good reminder.

Dominican licence in order, credentials legit, have an accident with a Dominican and YOU are at fault whatever.... sad, but true!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Bucking the system you mean??? Why can't people just do things properly and according to the rules for a change instead of always trying to find a workaround grrrrrr

If it is legal then no one is breaking the rules/law, and so it is according to the rules! I envy anyone who has gone through life without having to find certain ways to stride certain official obstacles, but hang on I would bet quite a substantial amount that 99% of the people on this forum have stood here illegal at some point. But back to the OP, was just a suggestion.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Ok, back to the OP - can you or anyone else actually remember his question without going back to post number 1?

In answer to what I think you are saying in the rest of your post, I try to get my fair deal from what I have contributed during my working life but have never tried to fleece the system.... seems by your standards that I am abnormal!

Jan 17, 2009

Not unusual. I happened to my husband too several years ago. He went back tenths of times, in POP, STI, SDQ, and the answer was always the same, not in the system. Very legit residency and cedula. My lawyer told me that there is a document she can get me to get me in the system if that happens to me. With that doc from the Junta Electoral I think she said, I'm supposed to go to a bank and get the bank to get me in the system. I'll know in a few weeks. Papers ready next week.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I cant see how staying within the law is fleecing the system. Simple!
I dont know about the rest.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Not having you Cedula in the system (especially a new one) is common. It seems that even though all is on a computer not all the government systems "talk" to each other. To confuse the system even more it seems that each agency has to "buy" updates to the data bank from the central "agency" and this too can take time as many companies and agencies only pay for this once a year. You can get a leter from your lawyer (government form) that states you cedula is valid just not in the system yet. We had to do this as our cedulas were not "registered" for nearly a year. Since then our stuff is in the system and we have had no problems.

Bob K