Visiting DR for 6 months, should i get a visa or a fully refundable ticket?

Tech

Jul 21, 2011
Hello dr1. I'll be visiting DR in September for 6 months. I'm debating whether it's easier to open a visa or buy a fully refundable ticket. With the fully refundable ticket, i'll be let out of the country and then i can simply return the ticket for full price.

Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the surface, the simplest solution would appear to be the fully refundable ticket and to pay the overstay penalty when you leave. I believe you can extend your valid visiting time period by a visit to Migracion in Santo Domingo, but I don't know the procedure for that. If you can do that it would be a safer option if you plan to do any driving while in the DR since it should maintain the validity of your foreign driver's license.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The fine is not that much to worry over, but windeguy hit the point, if you are driving your own car or a rental while overstaying your insurance is INvalid, not a good thing.
Another way around this is to take a monthly bus ride to the border at Dajabon or elsewhere, cross to Haiti and turn right around.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Why not just buy a return ticket for 6 months?

Hello dr1. I'll be visiting DR in September for 6 months. I'm debating whether it's easier to open a visa or buy a fully refundable ticket. With the fully refundable ticket, i'll be let out of the country and then i can simply return the ticket for full price.

Thanks!

Why not just buy a return ticket for 6 months?

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Read up on the driving laws. I don't think a plane ticket has any bearing on whether your non-DR license is valid to drive past the 90 day period. Better safe than to find yourself in a hurt locker if involved in an accident. Fine for overstaying (if your country does not require a visa stamp) is normally around $20 USD (although it may shift to the right or left) a few dollars. Not much is hard and fast in the DR

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Most people just overstay. The fine is relatively low. Unless you're in an accident, the driver's license thing is irrelevant. If you happen to get stopped, never show your passport and your DL at the same time if it's expired. " I left my passport at the hotel " is a good one, most use it. Most of the time, if you get stopped, it's a shakedown anyway and they want a few pesos. Even if you overstay, they're only going to ask for a few more pesos.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Most people just overstay. The fine is relatively low. Unless you're in an accident, the driver's license thing is irrelevant. If you happen to get stopped, never show your passport and your DL at the same time if it's expired. " I left my passport at the hotel " is a good one, most use it. Most of the time, if you get stopped, it's a shakedown anyway and they want a few pesos. Even if you overstay, they're only going to ask for a few more pesos.
I guess you just plan on not having an accident? The real advice should be: Unless you drive, the driver's license thing is irrelevent".

Tech

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not planning on driving in DR at all so I'll go with a fully refundable ticket :)