Eeyore

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I am looking for some help caring for a very sick donkey that I call Eeyore. He wanders about in La Mulata up by the colmado that is just past the International School. I'm sure many of you have seen him, one ear up and one ear down. His 'owner' cannot be located and obviously doesn't care for him. I'm willing to do the work in helping him regain his health, but of course, this takes resources. I'm looking for either a donation of money or medical supplies. He's really a very sweet old guy; pm me if you're willing to help--no donation is too small!! :D

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You might be able to talk with Judy at AAAS. www.aaas.com I know that she is very busy and short handed but maybe she or Dr. Bob, next door, could give Eeyore a quick check up. That way you have a better idea of his condition and what it will take to get him in better health. (tell Judy that Sereno and Chican, our Paso Finos sent you)

Is he tied or in a fenced area? If tied, is he moved around to graze? Does he have water? Is he being fed other then grazing?

I would not be surprised that an owner shows up after you have spent some money on him.

Once you have some of the above answered and it looks like you can help, I'd be happy to consider donating some hay and grain. You will have to store it or come to my place everyday or so to pick it up. Or perhaps working a deal with the feed/vet supply place on El Choco Rd?

Taking on a large animal is a large commitment, even more so if he is not yours.

I wish you luck and look forward to you getting back to us.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
A friend of mine who has a horse rescue is helping me. We had a vet come today and look at him. He has a wound in/near his ear which has parasites/worms in it. His feet are terribly overgrown and we're trying to get someone out to take care of them. Again, if they will need daily care I will do the treatments myself, we just need them tended to by a professional now. He has a problem with his one shoulder, looks inflamed and possible has a broken bone in it. The vet says he may have been hit by a car. For now I will be treating his ear everyday and giving him injections of antibiotics in his shoulder areas. The vet also gave him a painkiller today and I'm to give him one tomorrow. The vet says that he's about 12-14 years old and in general good health. Eyes look good and he's got good weight. He usually just wanders but the vet said to tie him to a tree in the shade for now so he doesn't go into the road. I'm going to be giving him 3 small meals of hay and fresh grass per day and watering him then also. He's very gentle and good natured.
Sorry I've never been able to take you up on your offer of going riding. We incurred alot of unexpected expenses here. Common story, huh?
Thanks, Corey

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A friend of mine who has a horse rescue is helping me. We had a vet come today and look at him. Good first step.He has a wound in/near his ear which has parasites/worms in it. Did anyone treat it and give you meds to continue? His feet are terribly overgrown and we're trying to get someone out to take care of them. You can call our blacksmith Jaun @ 829-246-4624. He can come out and trim the hooves. I have some Karosal? for treating them or he can let us know what he advises. He can bring the bill to Sereno and Chican at our place and I look forward to meeting you at that time. Again, if they will need daily care I will do the treatments myself, we just need them tended to by a professional now. I'm trying to give you support but YOU have to do the job. He has a problem with his one shoulder, looks inflamed and possible has a broken bone in it. The vet says he may have been hit by a car. May not be anything you can do the a broken shoulder at this point other then some regular pain killers. Most likely why he has been left on his own. For now I will be treating his ear everyday and giving him injections of antibiotics in his shoulder areas. Great. Not easy at all at times for either of you. The vet also gave him a painkiller today and I'm to give him one tomorrow. The vet says that he's about 12-14 years old and in general good health. Eyes look good and he's got good weight. He usually just wanders but the vet said to tie him to a tree in the shade for now so he doesn't go into the road. IMO... A big NO...NO...NO. If he is not use to being on a line he may panic and hurt/hang himself. Find a tree and put hay/feed/water under it where he can find it and/or take him to it. I may take some time. I'm going to be giving him 3 small meals of hay and fresh grass per day and watering him then also. I have some 5 gallon water jugs but no water holders for him to drink out of. Start slow with the hay so he gets use to it. A handfull of grain twice a day to start. I've got the hay and grain. He's very gentle and good natured. Lets hope that that changes some to being a frisky buddy.
Sorry I've never been able to take you up on your offer of going riding. We incurred alot of unexpected expenses here. Common story, huh? I know you have. We can still go riding after you have your new project/commentment under control.

I would still like Judy to take a look. She knows horses/donkeys too and has lots of creative ways to help.
Thanks, Corey

I guess that answering within a quote is difficult to do so I have to add something down here.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If Jaun needs a halter, leads or lines he can borrow mine. If he needs a little help, we have that too.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I cannot thank you enough!! I volunteer at Judy's; I'll give her a call tomorrow. The vet mentioned soaking his feet in Karosal also. The vet gave me antibiotics and some cream to put in his ear. I'll go untie him first thing in the morning; I'm uneasy about being in a field in La Mulata after dark. The vet thinks that the shoulder is new because of the inflammation, maybe hit by a car. It's the same side as the injured ear/neck area. I'll be in touch. Thank you soooo much, Corey

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
His owner doesn't care. I spoke to him today about the state of him and his response was simply, 'Oh, he's old. They have problems when they are old.' He claimed the wounds to his head and ear were caused by his horse playing with him, yet he had done nothing about it. My worker and I tended to his wounds till the vet could get there. I don't know whether the owner will relinquish him, but it's a sure thing he can't work him and probably never will be able to. The poor thing can barely stand with what looks to me like severe laminitis. His name is actually Pepe.

If Corey can't manage him, he can come to us as long as there is sponsorship for his feed, care, de-worming, foot care and medical care. We have no resources otherwise and our aim is to educate local children in animal care to help break the cycle of neglect and abuse of equids in this country.

He would have a nice stable or small paddock for the nights and could share a big 7 acre field during the day, if he's ever up to it, certainly not for the time being. Our other arthritic geriatric actually stays in the garden! He is castrated, so there shouldn't be any problems with the horses once they get to know each other.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I think it is great what you guys are trying to do.

Unfortunately enough I know of even a worse case. In Sabaneta there is a donkey with one front leg just dangling on. It clearly has been broken or smashed and the donkey can barely get to the pasture to feed itself. Anybody wants to give that donkey a good home?

We can't as we do not have the land or space.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
His owner doesn't care. I spoke to him today about the state of him and his response was simply, 'Oh, he's old. They have problems when they are old.' He claimed the wounds to his head and ear were caused by his horse playing with him, yet he had done nothing about it. My worker and I tended to his wounds till the vet could get there. I don't know whether the owner will relinquish him, but it's a sure thing he can't work him and probably never will be able to. The poor thing can barely stand with what looks to me like severe laminitis. His name is actually Pepe.

If Corey can't manage him, he can come to us as long as there is sponsorship for his feed, care, de-worming, foot care and medical care. We have no resources otherwise and our aim is to educate local children in animal care to help break the cycle of neglect and abuse of equids in this country.

He would have a nice stable or small paddock for the nights and could share a big 7 acre field during the day, if he's ever up to it, certainly not for the time being. Our other arthritic geriatric actually stays in the garden! He is castrated, so there shouldn't be any problems with the horses once they get to know each other.

Hey Corey and Isobel.

Sounds like a plan... and a very good one too. I gather that you a Corey live in the same area? How far is your place from where Pepe aka Eeyore is now? Can he walk it? You two might want to work together concerning the Vets and meds.

As I said above to Corey. Call Juan to get his hooves trimmed or do you have someone that you like to use.

Hay and grain will depend on your grazing conditions. With decent grass I would think that a couple of bales a week should be about right. A couple of cups of grain twice a day. This is about half of what my horses get but they are larger, have good grass during the day and get worked. Since you have horses I guess that you have hay and feed delivered so most likely best that I chip in some cash to help cover the food. But if you think otherwise, let me/us know.

I do have some meds that could get you all started or we can meet at the El Choco place and pick up some things. They close at noon today and closed on Sunday. I'm open just about all the time. lol

Not a good day due to the MUCH needed rain. My pastures were getting a little thin. My guys get a stay-in day.

Let me know what and how you two want to work this.

Happy trails, Ringo

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Just got off of the phone with Juan. He said he'll come today at 2:00. I'll keep you posted. I posted before I read you most recent post. I'll be in contact with Isobel today and see how she wants to proceed. We live too far apart for him to walk. I'd say 5 miles or so.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Thank you. We are actually in el Choco so he would need a vehicle to get here. At the moment he is probably too lame to get up a ramp, but we will see how he is after Juan has done his feet. My guy could do his feet, but Juan is also very good at remedial work and wonderful with the animals. My concern is that where this chap is he can still get out onto the road. He seemed okay about being tethered, but once he starts to feel better, that could change. It might be helpful to erect a temporary barbed wire pen for him where he is. If Corey wants to keep him, it will depend on where she can graze him safely.

I agree about the feeding programme. This donkey is far from thin and is apparently otherwise in good health, but it is almost certainly his diet and lack of care which has resulted in the state of his feet. I've given Corey hay for the weekend.. I've explained about soaking it to get the sugars out and to cut grass late in the day. The challenge is the financial aspect for us, but if you are willing to help, that is wonderful.

We bring our animals inside the walls of the property at night because there is so much violence to horses locally. Our old guy was badly beaten before; we found another one which died after being apparently beaten with a hammer and slashed with a machete and I've heard of other horses being killed and set on fire. There is a lot of educational work to be done... and this happens mainly by example when locals see hopeless animals changing both in behaviour and condition. It is why we are open daily to visitors.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I'd have to see the donkey in Sabanete. Has it seen a vet? Is the owner in evidence? What kind of condition is it in otherwise? The worms tend to get in and the animal lives in constant pain and misery.

Sad as is it, in this country with limited veterinary care available and limited financial resources, it is usually kinder to put down horses / donkeys with broken legs, even though it breaks my heart to do it. In a developed country nowadays it might be different, but here where people have tried, in the end after a couple of years' suffering, the animal, in my experience, more often still had to be put down. I have heard of prosthetic legs... but does anyone have funding for that? The Dominicans tend to abandon animals that are no longer financially viable, unfortunately.

Let me know. I am willing to look at least.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You could best contact Britcouple who live nearby where the donkey in Sabaneta is always standing. It is really heartbreaking to see the animal, it must be suffering with that leg hanging on there, is very skinny and like Belgiank said, can hardly cross the road to get to the feeding place.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Who are Britcouple and where do they live?

You could best contact Britcouple who live nearby where the donkey in Sabaneta is always standing. It is really heartbreaking to see the animal, it must be suffering with that leg hanging on there, is very skinny and like Belgiank said, can hardly cross the road to get to the feeding place.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Hooray for Eeyore, actual name Pepe!! He has been seen by a Vet and a Farrier and is on his way back to health. This poor guy had a severly infected and parasite infested ear, terribly overgrown hooves, a dislocated shoulder and a broken hip. People are coming forward to help re-home him in a horse rescue environment. Can't give enough thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Ringo and Isobel. Once I figure out how to post photos I'll put some up.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hooray for Eeyore, actual name Pepe!! He has been seen by a Vet and a Farrier and is on his way back to health. This poor guy had a severly infected and parasite infested ear, terribly overgrown hooves, a dislocated shoulder and a broken hip. People are coming forward to help re-home him in a horse rescue environment. Can't give enough thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Ringo and Isobel. Once I figure out how to post photos I'll put some up.

Hooray for YOU, Corey! You saw a problem and DID something about it.

In just about 24 hours YOU have managed to get so much done with getting the animal secured, water, food, Veterinarian care and a Ferrier. I also noticed that you listened and asked questions. Not easy when several people are giving information or opinions at the same time.

Thanks for the “thanks”. The Mrs. and I did little but feel we gained a lot. Isobel was great and we enjoyed her spirit of contributing and also doing.

We look forward to seeing Pepe aka Eeyore getting better and finding him a new home with a friend or two.

Respectfully, Ringo

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks Ringo, you're very kind. I know that we can't help every person and every animal, but I do believe that if we DO help where we able we can make a difference. Pepe, Eeyore's real name, is doing MUCH better today! His ear is healing, inside and out, and is much less swollen. It also doesn't seem as tender and it no longer smells. We had his hooves trimmed yesterday, and today he is walking a little bit--which is quite an improvement. The ferrier who cared for him yesterday said that his right front shoulder is dislocated, probably from being hit by a car. He also discovered an old break in the donkey's left hip, also probably from being hit by a car. For this reason, we are trying very hard to place Pepe at Project Isobel which is a horse rescue. Project Isobel is also a home for street children. The animals that live there are used to teach children how to properly care for and love the animals. They also serve to teach the children responsibilty and give the kids much needed love in return. Pepe is not be 'valued' as a 'work animal' anymore due to his injuries and this is why he has been abandoned and neglected. Pepe DOES have value as a living thing, and at Project Isobel he will have a 'job' again. We need support for Pepe on a monthly basis. If anyone is willing to help out with food, cash, medicine please p.m. me for further details.
Thanks and God Bless,

Corey

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the plug for Project Isobel, Corey, and thanks to all those who have contributed in some way to helping Pepe on the way to recovery and out of his misery and suffering. It is very much about seeing a problem and choosing to do something about it. If we all did that, there would be far less suffering in the world. Money is necessary, but there are all sorts of things we can do to help in small ways. Most of all, it is about being willing to devote some time and energy into finding a solution.

We have a geriatric horse who is wonderful for teaching children how to handle a horse. [He has been with us for 5 years and was abandoned by his owner to die all that time ago!] An elderly donkey would have a similar role. Pepe is not in such a dreadful condition as he was.

I calculate that to feed [properly] a horse / donkey, give him vitamins [because the grass here is deficient], de-worm and keep him clean and free of ticks [which carry many serious diseases], keep him exercised and groomed, vaccinate against tetanus and keep his feet and hooves in good condition, pay a vet for his medical and dental care [yes, they need dental care or they can't digest their food properly and they get very sore mouths, especially as they get older!] costs a minimum of 115 US$ / c 4500 RD$ a month per animal. If the animal is at livery, of course it costs considerably more than that! If several people get together, that can be manageable, where for one individual it is not.

Let's hope that between us, we can give Pepe a peaceful and safe future.

Status
Not open for further replies.