Tarantulas (cacatas)

Jul 4, 2010
I live in a remote rural region north of the town of Azua, on the Dominican Southwest. For some quirk of nature this place is oozing with tarantulas (cacatas), very large spiders usually the size of an adult open human male hand. Those found in the wild are left alone, however, those that enter our home encounter a tragic fate. Actually, I despise terminating them (last night three beautiful cacatas met their Creator). The local cacatas look like miniature hairy monkeys. I would like to start catching them, for anyone who would venture having them as pets. I just read that there are used as mascots in the US. Any cacata lovers in the DR?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They are plentiful here in Santiago too. I quit killing after I learned they're not dangerous and also eat rodents. That doesn't mean I want to touch them though.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
As far as I know the worst can only give at best a bee like sting, why kill them if harmless, like chip said they protect the home. Mind I hate the thought of standing on one in the dark on my way to the toilet. Best way to keep them out the way is leave aight on in the night, I only ever encounter nasty thingswhen I switch likes on in the middle of the night.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why not get one of those hotel dustpans on a long stick that can close, and return them to nature?

Or better yet, a couple of cats?

We have two cats and haven't hardly seen a cockroach, spider or snake in the house since...except when the cats bring their trophy in for praise...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They can be big..... I felt one crawling on my leg one night and swiped it off towards the wall.
It made a 'splat' noise when it hit the wall..... it was a whopper.

SnakeEyes is right.... the cat keeps all insectos away.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are so pretty, why kill them? i have seen few cacatas and they do not bother me at all.
at home we have two cats and they kill all small animals. sadly, they like to put corpses inside our shoes.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I don't mind them as long as they are not suddenly sitting on the wall in the house and staring at me. But we are lucky, have pretty sized lizard in house now who lives behind one of the paintings and since he arrived, no spiders anymore in the house yeaaaahh!!

trangalanga

Jun 10, 2011
www.villa-elena-bavaro.com
I catched a cacata almost a year ago, here in Bavaro. I keep it in a terrarium and feed it mainly little lizards. I call it Renata. It has already shed its skin five times, each time it comes out bigger. It was blueish at the begginning, now more of a reddish hue. It is voracious, will eat anything you give it. It even attacks water when I am pouring it in the tray. Very interesting to watch, but I'm getting ready to free it again soon, as I've already studied it enough.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mirador: How strange that a person so tied to Nature would kill rather than capture the cacatas...You can use a big can and a piece of cardboard to capture them, and they do eat mice, small rats and cucarachas!!!

Please do not kill them...

HB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
They live a long time....I carried one home alive to the States more than 10 years ago from the Azua area and have kept it in a terrarium as a pet. Still alive and flourishing. Amazing how many crickets it can wipe out in a day.........

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Dominican Spiders, from YouTube ....

"Dominican Republic, a guy with lots of spiders on his body. Amazing. That was on La vega's Carnival (February 2006)"

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VB5Z3YJqMys?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
[video=youtube;4lYdD9DdLNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lYdD9DdLNY[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"Dominican Republic, a guy with lots of spiders on his body. Amazing. That was on La vega's Carnival (February 2006)"

for turistas doing safari trips there is a photo opportunity with cacatas. i love to touch them, so cute! sadly, they do not have a very happy life, i think.

MsOtis

Jul 17, 2011

I'll be keeping this little tidbit of info to myself. My travel companions don't need to know EVERYTHING, right?:confused:

condo complex

Jul 24, 2011
for turistas doing safari trips there is a photo opportunity with cacatas. i love to touch them, so cute! sadly, they do not have a very happy life, i think.

Really? I wouldn't dare touch a cacata. I don't know how the people in the video do it. Can someone explain the trick?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If they are not threatened, they do not rear up and flash their fangs..they do no like to be cornered.

I am not sure that their brains are capable of understanding being a pet but they do appreciate diets of bugs, like cockroaches...as I have posted before, a friend of ours used to pay local kids a few cents per cockroach and then let them watch the cacata devour them....

Be nice to Nature..

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If they are not threatened, they do not rear up and flash their fangs..they do no like to be cornered.

I am not sure that their brains are capable of understanding being a pet but they do appreciate diets of bugs, like cockroaches...as I have posted before, a friend of ours used to pay local kids a few cents per cockroach and then let them watch the cacata devour them....

Be nice to Nature..

HB

What hypocrisy...so it's OK for the Cockroach to die a painful death, but not the Cacata? It's like this lady the other day was talking about how she saw that movie The Cove and how those poor poor dolphins were killed and then next sentence was how much she loves Tuna...Save the Dolphins, kill the tuna!!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
What hypocrisy...so it's OK for the Cockroach to die a painful death, but not the Cacata? It's like this lady the other day was talking about how she saw that movie The Cove and how those poor poor dolphins were killed and then next sentence was how much she loves Tuna...Save the Dolphins, kill the tuna!!!

What an odd comparison you make here between the killing of those Dolphins and eating Tuna.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Really? I wouldn't dare touch a cacata. I don't know how the people in the video do it. Can someone explain the trick?

i assumed they had their fangs or whatnot taken out but maybe they are just very full :)
in any case, sweet little things. i would not dare to touch a wild cacata, i saw one once only, right outside our house in costambar, on the street, we stopped the car, went out, marvelled at its beauty and let it cross the street before getting back in a car. i took some photos, from very close, miesposo would not even bend over :) he is scared.
a pet cacata, i can touch. if the owners do it so can i. cacatas are very cute, sometimes they would run up to hide in my hair, that makes people shriek :) but i do not mind, cacatas are very soft and gentle.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and no, no touching cucarachas. whenever i see one inside a house i go to fetch one of the cats. i don't even want to get as close as to step on them. gross little buggers.
but... i have seen them sold as pets, in poland. argentinian cucarachas, supposedly. the same nasty huge bastards you get in DR. 10 dollars or so, if i recall...