From Sosua To Jarabacoa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I will be in Sosua for 10 days but during that time I'll need to go to Jarabacoa for a day using public transportation. What's the best way to get there and how much would it cost?

Caribe Tours starts in Sosua. Bus leaves hourly, 20 minutes past the hour, from terminal in Charamicos. To take bus all the way you stay on until La Vega, then wait there for bus going from Santo Domingo to Jarabacoa to stop in La Vega. Faster is to take the bus to Santiago and from there take one of the buses or guaguas going to Jarabacoa. I'm sure somebody will give you more details on that. Meantime, do a search for Jarabacoa, this has been discussed before so there are threads that talk about getting there.

Cobraboy lives in Jarabacoa so would be a good source of info.

Last edited:

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Caribe Tour bus from Sosua-La Vega, them take a small bus from La Vega -Jarabacoa
If you just have a carry on luggage, you can ask the driver to drop you off at the entrance to Jarabacoa road. (there is a Texaco gas station) and take a small bus to Jarabacoa. that way save you more than 30 mins. you dont have to entrance to La Vega town

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are on a schedule, you might want to do this:
Sos?a to Santiago on anything. Metro or Caribe Tours (second stop coming from Sos?a. The first stop is way on the other side of town).
Then a taxi to the Parque de los Chachasis (Sabana Larga, esquina Restauraci?n) This is where all the buses to Jarabacoa , La Vega and San Francisco de Macoris congregate.

Just make sure to tell the taxi driver you will pay no more than 130 pesos for the 6 or 10 minute ride over there.

In fact, if you do not have any baggage, you could take Metro, go to the corner where Baskins & Robbins is and flag down an "A publico" for $25 pesos I think, and get off after it makes the first right turn off of Juan Pablo Duarte. The buses to Jarabacoa are right there!

Maybe too many details?

Have fun...it really is easy..

HB

If you are on a schedule, you might want to do this:
Sos?a to Santiago on anything. Metro or Caribe Tours (second stop coming from Sos?a. The first stop is way on the other side of town).
Then a taxi to the Parque de los Chachasis (Sabana Larga, esquina Restauraci?n) This is where all the buses to Jarabacoa , La Vega and San Francisco de Macoris congregate.

Just make sure to tell the taxi driver you will pay no more than 130 pesos for the 6 or 10 minute ride over there.

In fact, if you do not have any baggage, you could take Metro, go to the corner where Baskins & Robbins is and flag down an "A publico" for $25 pesos I think, and get off after it makes the first right turn off of Juan Pablo Duarte. The buses to Jarabacoa are right there!

Maybe too many details?

Have fun...it really is easy..

HB

Thank you very much to all, this helped out a lot.

Aug 31, 2011
Los Gringos - Gaspar Hernandez to Jarabacoa - Caribe Tours

Hi, I need some help from the locals. We will be staying at Los Gringos near Gaspar Hernandez and want to get to a Hostel in Jarabacoa. I read that there is a Caribe Tour in Rio San Juan close to Los Gringos, BUT I think it only goes to Santo Domingo area. Is there a way to get Caribe Tours or Metro or something like that to Jarabacoa from Gaspar Hernandez area? THANKS!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi, I need some help from the locals. We will be staying at Los Gringos near Gaspar Hernandez and want to get to a Hostel in Jarabacoa. I read that there is a Caribe Tour in Rio San Juan close to Los Gringos, BUT I think it only goes to Santo Domingo area. Is there a way to get Caribe Tours or Metro or something like that to Jarabacoa from Gaspar Hernandez area? THANKS!!!

I do believe that from Gaspar Hernandez you will have to take public transportation to Sosua and proceed from there. It sounds like the Caribe tours bus leaves from Rio San Juan and goes east to the new highway connecting the North Coast to Santo Domingo. Rio San Juan to Sosua, or Santiago, or La Vega is not available. You can check the schedule on:

http://caribetours.com.do/index.php...aribetours.com.do/index.php/viajes/get_travel

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Bucket you could go from Gasper Hernandez to Moca, look for the carito that is labeled Moca / Gasper Hernandez on the front visor, then to La Vega, then to Jarabacoa.....you stop at all the bus stops to transfer.....so its pretty easy........if you go real early, there is a bus (32seater) that goes daily to Santiago from Gasper Hernandez

Aug 31, 2011
Hammerdown, Have you been on that stretch? Help me with what mode of transportation that is. A carito all the way? Or do I pick up Caribe Tours? 32 seater sounds great, but we are hoping to spend a little more time on the beach before we leave for the mountains. : )

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Los Gringos is about 17km away from Rio San Juan, and about 10 km away from Gaspar Hernandez. Your first problem is about 1 km from Los Gringos to the main road, but I am sure the manager Patrick will help you out.

Personally I would take a guagua from gaspar hernandez to sabaneta. At the crossroads there take a guagua from Sabaneta to Moca (you will enjoy this road very much, believe me). From Moca take a guaga to La Vega, and from there to Jarabacoa.

Enjoy Los Gringos and Playa Magante...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Bucket
Unfortunately the 32 seater leaves Gasper around 530 in the morning, so like Belgium said take a carito publico from Los Gringos to the cruze in Sabaneta then take the guagua thats parked there which will take you to the Parada in Moca and from there you take anothor bus (32 seater) to La Vega and then on to Jarabacoa. I would not leave later than about 2pm from Los Gringos so you can make connections. If your spanish is not that good, then go to Sosua and take the Caribe tours way

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Hammerdown,

Our Spanish is pretty good. You've got great information. The guagua 'parked' at the cruze in Sabaneta: Is that a place that guaguas wait for travelers, and we tell them where we need to go? The 32 seater: Is that a specific bus? There are 5 of us. Two of us speak Spanish pretty well, my son understands Spanish, but doesn't form sentences very well, and the other two are just now exploring the Spanish language. So my husband and I are pretty much the travel guides in an area we do not know well. We stayed in Samana in a 'local' neighborhood and got around just fine, but we had some connections there. LAST possibility for this stretch is to get a taxi or hired driver from Los Gringos to Jarabacoa for 5 people. Do you also have info for that and costs we would expect to pay? I APPRECIATE everyones information for making this trip a success! : )