Bring my 2003 Land over to the DR

rick3993

Sep 5, 2006
Does anyone know if I can bring my 2003 Land Rover car there from the US....I thought the rule was it had to be only 5 years old? If not does anyone knpow how much it costs and how long it takes? And the name of a shipping company someone has used?
Thank you,
Reyita
PS It is not to sell it is to use; I live in Santo Domingo.

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The car is supposed to be between 2 and 5 years of age and you have to have owned it for 2 years. The cost if unreal.
I brought in a 5 year old SUV and paid 50% of its Kelly Blue Book value in taxes and lic fees.

BObK

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
you can bring any car, but there is a penalty if the car is older than 5 years.
For a Land Rover 2003 the tax is around 600,000 + penalty.
plus shipping, lawyers, etc, etc, etc
save that money and headache and buy it here for less.
Direccion General de Impuestos Internos

No I wouldn't chance it. If you don't have any good contacts in Customs they can make your life hell and even confiscate your car. Just sell it in The US then buy a newer vehicle, better yet just buy in The DR because in the end you're not going to save much by shipping it yourself and you're going to avoid the hassles of dealing with Customs and government officials.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
you know, there is an exemption IF the car is a commercial vehicle. I see ambulances. big rigs, tow trucks and the like that are least 10 years old here. So you should see what are the rules for special use equipment. I see subcontractors for Edenorte drive around in 40 year old Nissan pickups but Edenorte themselves uses a new Ford F-550 Superduty?