So what's the deal with Sundays?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Maybe someone out there can explain this to me, for the life of me I don't understand it. I know it is a family thing but why do Dominicans party so hard on Sundays, don't they have to go to work on Monday?

Is it historical or something, to me logically, Saturday would be a much better day to party as hard as they do on Sunday, because then you could have the next day to recuperate. All the beaches, all the parks are packed every Sunday, rain or shine. But not only the Beaches and parks, the colmados, family homes etc. It is one thing to have a day to let loose, but Dominicans kill it on Sunday, and don't stop all day. I find it amazing how much is drunk on Sundays, all over the nation.

I have a vision of a nation of people all with hangovers on Monday, so what is it about Sundays?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
My Campo is mashed on a Sunday and goes to work and continues the 'hair of the dog' on Monday, work commences on Tuesday. It is an unwritten rule, purely to avoid work, early finish Friday also. The guys here are pretty tough though, they can still do a better days work slaughtered than most modern countries can do sober, seriously.
A bit like German carpenters, hands down the best wood workers on the planet and can do it sober or drunk, comes natural!!

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Maybe someone out there can explain this to me, for the life of me I don't understand it. I know it is a family thing but why do Dominicans party so hard on Sundays, don't they have to go to work on Monday?

Is it historical or something, to me logically, Saturday would be a much better day to party as hard as they do on Sunday, because then you could have the next day to recuperate. All the beaches, all the parks are packed every Sunday, rain or shine. But not only the Beaches and parks, the colmados, family homes etc. It is one thing to have a day to let loose, but Dominicans kill it on Sunday, and don't stop all day. I find it amazing how much is drunk on Sundays, all over the nation.

I have a vision of a nation of people all with hangovers on Monday, so what is it about Sundays?
Have you not read the posts on dominican logic ? lol

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
You know the reason why I asked tonight, although I have never really understood it, is because for the past three weeks I have stayed at my place in Boca, and I live across the street from a popular colmado. Now the colmado is always popular. and they always play music, but the only night of the week where they will definitely be totally packed and having a party is Sunday night. As I am typing this, the party has gotten to be the loudest it has been all day. The street is filled in front of the colmado, and it is a party. As I said this is my third consecutive weekend here, and all three the same thing on Sunday night.

This Sunday I thought it would be quiet because the weather was inclement all day, the colmado had been quiet for the most part, but like clockwork just as it turned 11pm, it started cranking it up. So I found myself thinking don't these people got to go to work tomorrow. Then I remembered two Sundays ago was the 4th of July, and I went to a BBQ, although it poured like the devil that night. When I got back to my apt. the streets were flooded, from the downpour, but the colmado was packed, people were in the street, dancing all over the place, all the guys had their shirts off, it didn't matter after all everybody was already soaked.

I remembered that I used to drink on Sundays too, but as it got later we would stop, get home and get some rest before Monday arrived.

Viva la differance!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I always joked that some will have no money during the week but somehow come Sunday money appears and the party is on!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You know the reason why I asked tonight, although I have never really understood it, is because for the past three weeks I have stayed at my place in Boca, and I live across the street from a popular colmado. Now the colmado is always popular. and they always play music, but the only night of the week where they will definitely be totally packed and having a party is Sunday night. As I am typing this, the party has gotten to be the loudest it has been all day. The street is filled in front of the colmado, and it is a party. As I said this is my third consecutive weekend here, and all three the same thing on Sunday night.

This Sunday I thought it would be quiet because the weather was inclement all day, the colmado had been quiet for the most part, but like clockwork just as it turned 11pm, it started cranking it up. So I found myself thinking don't these people got to go to work tomorrow. Then I remembered two Sundays ago was the 4th of July, and I went to a BBQ, although it poured like the devil that night. When I got back to my apt. the streets were flooded, from the downpour, but the colmado was packed, people were in the street, dancing all over the place, all the guys had their shirts off, it didn't matter after all everybody was already soaked.

I remembered that I used to drink on Sundays too, but as it got later we would stop, get home and get some rest before Monday arrived.

Viva la differance!

Are Saturday nights more quiet than Sunday ?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Viva la differance!

I think you now know why everybody wants to retire to the DR ASAP.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
s I have stayed at my place in Boca, and I live across the street from a popular colmado. Now the colmado is always popular. and they always play music, but the only night of the week where they will definitely be totally packed and having a party is Sunday night. As I am typing this, the party has gotten to be the loudest it has been all day.

Mate, why are you inside while the party is going on outside?:surprised Not the Yayow I remember.:cool: Seriously, had a call late Fri. night from a friend oversees. He asked me where I was. I said home watching a movie. He said; I would have thought you would be out partying on a Fri. night with the locals. My response; here in the DR, every night is a Fri. night.:D

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Mate, why are you inside while the party is going on outside?:surprised Not the Yayow I remember.:cool: Seriously, had a call late Fri. night from a friend oversees. He asked me where I was. I said home watching a movie. He said; I would have thought you would be out partying on a Fri. night with the locals. My response; here in the DR, every night is a Fri. night.:D

Must be getting old.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Are Saturday nights more quiet than Sunday ?

In many places probably not, but with it being Saturday, you don't really notice. Now that I have forced myself to think about it, with this thread, I guess it has something to do with what the earlier poster said, Sunday is their day off. Most Dominicans especially those that work in the service arena, work 6 days a week, and often times the day that they are free would be Sunday, so I guess they get all their family time, and partying time out in as explosive a way as possible.

On Sundays for example, the beaches are always packed, family day; on Saturdays there will be an increase in the general population on a beach but nothing compared to a Sunday. Once they get started they don't seem to end, until they can barely walk. I get a kick out of it, by the way the colmado quieted down shortly after twelve, they weren't too bad at all, only a short spike in the noise and activity level.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

I think because Sunday is the only true free day. Many people still have to work on Saturdays also. 10 hours Monday through Friday and another 10 on Saturday. So Sunday is there only day free.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting. I noted the same thing many, many years ago. The shoemakers were famous for being hammered on Mondays: "L?nes zapatero" is a well-known phrase for hung over.

Nothing has changed in 50 years.

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Interesting. I noted the same thing many, many years ago. The shoemakers were famous for being hammered on Mondays: "L?nes zapatero" is a well-known phrase for hung over.

Nothing has changed in 50 years.

HB

My mom always says that phrase "lunes de zapatero" lol

To the OP...I think it's just a culture thing. It's insane how Bolivar frias is packed on Sunday afternoons/evenings. And I ask myself the same question all the time - don't these people have to go to work on Monday?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It is the day that they are free from most sin having dosed up on religion that morning?

Yes we go to church on Sunday morning to free ourselves from sin. Now that we're free then we have a whole week to sin again until next Sunday. So we start hard that same afternoon...jk. It's just cultural thing IMO, for as far as I can remember Sunday was the day to get dressed up, socialize, etc...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My mom always says that phrase "lunes de zapatero" lol

To the OP...I think it's just a culture thing. It's insane how Bolivar frias is packed on Sunday afternoons/evenings. And I ask myself the same question all the time - don't these people have to go to work on Monday?

So what? If Sunday is your only free day in the whole week, then you make the most of it, simple.