art school

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I know there are art departments at some Universities but does anyone know if there is a school to study only art(drawing, painting etc.)?
Thanks for any information.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I know there are art departments at some Universities but does anyone know if there is a school to study only art(drawing, painting etc.)?
Thanks for any information.
The best school for art is personal observation , technique is unimportant and only for wanna bee's, If the talent is there it will surface on its own accord.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I "think" that the Casa de Arte in downtown Santiago has art classes and maybe Centro Le?n...I am sure there are other options. In fact I thing that Jacinto Dominguez teaches art in Ensanche Libertad....have to check that out.

HB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The best school for art is personal observation , technique is unimportant and only for wanna bee's, If the talent is there it will surface on its own accord.

I have to disagree. In addition to innate talent, an artist must be a master of his/her tools, media, and techniques. Whether it is as an apprentice (the historical method of arts education) or as a student, artists have been taught their crafts all through history. Sure, give a talented painter a few brushes, canvas, and some paints and he/she will produce a painting. They might even get better over time... but to be GOOD, artists must learn.

(Not to mention the fact that my daughter has just graduated from the Tyler School of Art (Temple University). yay!!!)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Bellas Artes art school is at the very end of El Conde, just before Las Damas, Santo Domingo.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I have to disagree. In addition to innate talent, an artist must be a master of his/her tools, media, and techniques. Whether it is as an apprentice (the historical method of arts education) or as a student, artists have been taught their crafts all through history. Sure, give a talented painter a few brushes, canvas, and some paints and he/she will produce a painting. They might even get better over time... but to be GOOD, artists must learn.

(Not to mention the fact that my daughter has just graduated from the Tyler School of Art (Temple University). yay!!!)
I am happy for your daughter and wish her all the luck in the world Temple U is a great school, I have no knowledge of their art department though. I have many friends that are FIT ( Fashion Institute of Technology) a paramount school of the arts, most were talented, none successful. That said one should learn art history ( I guess) one can learn how to hold a pencil, mix paint and study anatnomy and have a Phd but still not an artist. If it's there, it's there.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
That's my point... one needs both talent and skills to be good, (in the sense that the "talent" is innate, and the skills are learned). Success (financial and fame), is something completely different, especially in the art world. That has a lot more to do with self promotion, "buzz", "hype", perceived talent, and public relations. That can be seen even long before an artist enters the "professional" ranks... sometimes even when they are very young. Many talented artists never find "success" in the financial sense; some "successful" artists have only very questionable talents; some are thought to be hacks but their talents are finally appreciated only long after they've died.

As they say, "beauty, (and talent), is in the eye of the beholder". SOMETIMES, "beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder". LOL

?Viva el Presidente! (the beer, not the man, LOL)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Capt, I couldn't agree more however, my definition of success was not meant in a financial sence. Saludos Capitan ! LOL !

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Tyler School of Art has an excellent reputation in the art community, and does wonderful community based programs as well to bring art into public school in Philly. And they attract resident artists from all over the world. Anyone could drop a name like FIT, so saying you have friends there is no real feat.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Tyler School of Art has an excellent reputation in the art community, and does wonderful community based programs as well to bring art into public school in Philly. And they attract resident artists from all over the world. Anyone could drop a name like FIT, so saying you have friends there is no real feat.
and your point is ?