Not being too flashy for Santo Domingo

rickperry

Jul 24, 2011
Hello,

I am going to SD and obviously being safe is the top priority anytime you are living in an impoverished nation. I will be working for two years. I have always liked to drive a nice car. I have a 2008 honda accord right now. Would I stand out and asked to be robbed if I buy something like that or like a newer Honda Civic. I dont want to flaunt my wealth but I do like my luxuries.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There are others who know SD better who may chime in but cars are extremely expensive in the DR, drivers and motocochos are crazy and accidents frequent. Ask yourself, self, do I want to put something out there they is going to get beat up? Self, do I want to advertiize my wealth to invite a home burglary? Just IMHO.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Hello,

I am going to SD and obviously being safe is the top priority anytime you are living in an impoverished nation. I will be working for two years. I have always liked to drive a nice car. I have a 2008 honda accord right now. Would I stand out and asked to be robbed if I buy something like that or like a newer Honda Civic. I dont want to flaunt my wealth but I do like my luxuries.

Don't flaunt what you don't want to lose...live as simply and modestly as you can to fit in....buy a car; just not the new one, unless you have all the money to burn and don't care if its stolen, hit, vadalized etc....plus beware of the "For self profitabilty locals" in the improverished nation that you are about to embark upon....lol:):p

Jared Wilson

Apr 12, 2011
Hey Rick,
Yes those small imports are good choices considering the gas prices and narrow streets/alleys/parking spaces, but throw in the potholes and crappy drivers, I think you'd be better off with a Jeep wrangler or army tank.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Hello,

I can tell you haven't been to Santo Domingo before, you'll have to spend a lot more pennies than that to get a second glance in the capital, or anywhere else for that matter. You will not be noticed in a Honda Accord, believe me! And will not be flaunting wealth by driving one, try importing a Bentley, might get a second glance from a few!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
how is a 2008 honda accord or civic even close to a "luxury" car, in any country? I don't think you will stand out at all, at least not based on the car.

rickperry

Jul 24, 2011
Obviously from all the pictures and what I saw on vacation a few years ago it is a poor country. Who else has money other than baseball players and people that work in hotels ?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Obviously from all the pictures and what I saw on vacation a few years ago it is a poor country. Who else has money other than baseball players and people that work in hotels ?

You need to read more posts in this forum.
Like Drug dealers, Politicians, ExPats, Generals, Colonels, and on and on. There are more SUV's than donkeys in the DR. And the hotel workers do not earn squat.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Where is Pichardo when we need him ?

Stay put Rick, Mr Pichardo will blow you away with pictures of DR where you'll be ashamed to drive your Honda :)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'd save it, this guy is a wind up, no one, even the dumbest of the international dumbass posse think anyone anywhere working in a hotel makes money. Nice try, now use your existing screen name and start a thread worthy of replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Obviously you have never been to Santo Domingo. More Merc's, BMW's, Range Rovers than I have seen in any other city in my life.

Walk around Churchill, Lincoln, Lopa de Vega etc. A new Honda Civic is nothing special here, you will blend in just fine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just take the METRO

No need for a car, just take the Metro.

(I am kidding. Get a Toyota. )

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

The people that own businesses, real estate developments, shops, restaurants, banks, offices etc.

Santo Domingo has close to 4 million people with big buildings, banks, many shopping malls, schools etc, just like any city. Sorry to disappoint you, but we don't all live in mud huts or sell coconuts for a living :)

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
To illustrate the point a friend who happens to be a member here, once told me that one night after taking a young lady to see a movie I believe it was in the Bella Vista Mall or whatever it is called, he came out of the Mall to the parking lot, and the first thing he saw was two, not one but two Bentleys parked side by side in the lot. That didn't even cause an eyebrow to be raised. Nothing special in some areas of Santo Domingo.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Hello,

You must be kidding.
Honda Civic a luxurie?
People here will think that you are a chofer of carro de concho.

rickperry

Jul 24, 2011
I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that in a 3rd world country people are driving Bentleys. If they have that much money wouldnt they buy a plane ticket to the states and buy a car and a house there ?

Anyways I will have to check this out for myself when I get there in November

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
How old are you Rick, done much traveling?
Not everyone is driving Bentleys, I've only seen one in the Barrio around 8 1/2 de la sanchez with a young baseball cap wearing dude driving it. But by far the cars are nicer here than my native hometown in the North of England, by far.
I think you watched a bit much of 1984s live Aid and now have no idea of what you are coming to. I can assure you that most skilled workers will be driving a better car than you:ermm: for sure, and if you have this attitude I expect you might get a shock of the cost of living in Santo Domingo and possibly need to reconsider your contract as if you expect to be living in the capital on a pittance and are doing so because your contract seems a good wage for a 'third world country' and so you are going to be a virtual millionaire, think again my friend.
I hope it works for you but pay attention to what people here have to say, they may not say it nicely, infact a bunch of aggressive souls at times, but they do live here, and you did ask.
Good luck.
‪FERRARI VS. HONDA CIVIC‬‏ - YouTube

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Let the dogs decide

Would I stand out and asked to be robbed if I buy something like that or like a newer Honda Civic. I dont want to flaunt my wealth but I do like my luxuries.

A dinky dainty Civic??? :cheeky:

25ptjpu.jpg

donP