Timberland (Blue Mall) = Idiots!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have obviously been spoiled by the excellent customer service and common sense in Colombia when it comes to selling something.

I walk into Timberland in Blue Mall (Santo Domingo) today looking for a pair of safety boots. I needed a good comfortabel pair that will last me a while and I need them within the next few days. I checked online, so had a rough idea of the USA pricing as a comparison.

4 girls standing together at the counter and one guy actually serving. I wasn't the only customer in the store, he had to split himself between 2 others while the 4 idiots at the checkout watched. I'm guessing they must be the owners daughters?

They didn't have a great selection and only had a few sizes. The only pair they had in my size had a RD$9,000 (US$240) price tag, around US$80 more expensive than the USA.

I wanted to try it on before convincing myself I needed it. It was a very nice boot and fitted my requirements.
I asked if they had any thick socks to try it with. Yes, but I would need to buy them first.
I initially thought I had misheard the female managers Spanish, so I got her to repeat.
Yep, we cannot let you use a RD$500 sock to make a RD$9,000 sale.

I got up and walked out...

Nov 25, 2008
If your in Santiago on Thursdays they have a flea market on shoes, Bermudez Street; probably pick up the steel toe for about 1/3 of the $$$$

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
why steel toes ? they are usually very uncomfortable and way to hot for RD climate unless absolutly required for work ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Another of these typical things here... I could easily imagine that the guy working in that shop would have to pay the socks if he opens the package or give them to you as an add on. Even in case of a 9 K purchase. They "tick" like that I am afraid I have to say...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have obviously been spoiled by the excellent customer service and common sense in Colombia when it comes to selling something.

I walk into Timberland in Blue Mall (Santo Domingo) today looking for a pair of safety boots. I needed a good comfortabel pair that will last me a while and I need them within the next few days. I checked online, so had a rough idea of the USA pricing as a comparison.

4 girls standing together at the counter and one guy actually serving. I wasn't the only customer in the store, he had to split himself between 2 others while the 4 idiots at the checkout watched. I'm guessing they must be the owners daughters?

They didn't have a great selection and only had a few sizes. The only pair they had in my size had a RD$9,000 (US$240) price tag, around US$80 more expensive than the USA.

I wanted to try it on before convincing myself I needed it. It was a very nice boot and fitted my requirements.
I asked if they had any thick socks to try it with. Yes, but I would need to buy them first.
I initially thought I had misheard the female managers Spanish, so I got her to repeat.

The "owner" of that Timberish store is none other than the Blue Mall administration office, the guy happens to be the store sales clerk, the girls by the counter are just there for looks rather than usefulness...

The common sense is there, what's not is the freedom to use it with the store's stock at hand!

Why would you even consider wearing a store's "courtesy" sock is beyond me! I even make sure to carry a small spray bottle for shoes when I try out their stock at hands.

We both agree that the administration could render the use of socks to clients like yourself without a charge, keeping in mind that they'll be purchasing the items soon after...

Customer service is an alien culture to the Dominican Republic and pretty much missing in all levels.

Your brief stay in Colombia made you forget that this is the DR, and things are as they are no matter the ritzy the place!! LOL!!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

But to them you were a Pobre Diablo Gringo who didnt have the money to buy the shoes anyway. They didnt relate customer service to a completed sale and never will until there is real competition.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

There is a store in Herrera that sale steel toe boots for less. Last time I paid around 140dlls for a good one., and they have lot of safety working boots.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There is a store in Herrera that sale steel toe boots for less. Last time I paid around 140dlls for a good one., and they have lot of safety working boots.

Can you give me some idea of location in Herrera. Land mark, street etc?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I was there 3 years ago. it is close to Ave. Luperon and Romulo Betancourt. its like a warehouse. they sale mostly for companies, so there is not sign. but, preguntando en los alrededores la encuentras. I?ll check with a friend that have been there more times and let you know later.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My wife goes to Columbia once or twice a year on business. She spends extra time to visit friends and to SHOP. She is amazed how she is greeted and treated compared to the D.R.

Example. I wanted a specific breast harness to help train my horse. She tells them what I want and he gives the information to someone. She looks around the store, drooling at the quality of leather and the prices for twenty minutes and asks the man when the order will be finished. The order is done and at the counter.

Example: She wants new riding boots but not fancy and with little stitching. Custom boots to her liking the next day.

The price was very nice, the leather like butter and the quality very fine.

Columbia has changed a lot in the last few years.

It is sooo nice to do business OUTSIDE of the D.R. LOL

I wish the new Columbian site good luck.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Enough with the comparisions on the DR to Colombia! There are many instances of tete a tete here when some people seem to forget that each nation holds different cultural values!

I wish the best to Robert on the new DR1 Colombia site and new deal, but to go as far to compare experiences in both countries is far fetched for the same reasons not even Colombians themselves would travel to regions within their own borders.

Needless to say, many here seem to put down the DR in respect to how Colombia looks, first world like, etc... in posts Robert placed pictures and wrote about his experience there so far. Not taking a second to understand that it was precisely Colombia the first country to be the nascent and cradle of what a Narco-State means.

Let's be honest here and say it like it is! Blue Mall is a high end shopping center with expected clientele to their level of prices. Yes! You you can get a pair of boots much cheaper elsewhere, but so too you can you get a ton of fake merchandise as well.

I shop in the DR and abroad in many instances, and believe me, the last thing I would put on my feet are store supplied socks that they mete out to all their clients. You can call me Howard Hughes xerox wannabe, or what you might like! One thing is that I won't allow myself to put it on knowing somebody else wore it on their feet not matter how brief a time it was!

Why would Blue Mall administration make clients charge for the test socks is their prerrogative, one that lost them a client and sale of a RD$$$$$ expensive item. But again, nothing wrong with their policies and all to do with clients that want such services like Robert (which is also not in the wrong for expecting such after having been served in Colombia).

One thing I do know is that in the DR there's a lack of customer service in all regions of biz, but this one was far from one of those shinny examples. Given how the staff was not impolite but only attached to store policy regarding the sock and need to purchase it if he wanted to try it on with it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why would Blue Mall administration make clients charge for the test socks is their prerrogative, one that lost them a client and sale of a RD$$$$$ expensive item. But again, nothing wrong with their policies and all to do with clients that want such services like Robert (which is also not in the wrong for expecting such after having been served in Colombia).

One thing I do know is that in the DR there's a lack of customer service in all regions of biz, but this one was far from one of those shinny examples. Given how the staff was not impolite but only attached to store policy regarding the sock and need to purchase it if he wanted to try it on with it.

Enough of the comparisons... then stop making them :)

PICHARDO, stop trying to defend them and the usual Dominican "no es mi culpa" BS!. They screwed up, plain and simple, be it the boss or the brain dead idiots trying to look pretty and paying no attention to the clients.

This is not a policy issue or a DR vs Colombia issue, it's a lack of basic common sense.
Client is willing to spend RD$9,000 if we let him use a sock that costs us maybe RD$150. A sock they can sell as it was going over the top of a thin sock I was wearing. They could have afforded to throw the socks in!

In reality it will cost them a lot more as this will be seen by 1,000s of people over time. Do they care? I doubt it.

Let me add. The guy serving me was not the issue, he was the only one "actually" working in the store and embarrassed by the ridiculous policy.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Robert, if you get stuck you can go to any autobody shop and have them rig up a pair of booties made out of sheet metal and old tire rubber that you can slide your sneakers in.

With Dominican ingenuity there is ALWAYS a workaround. :p

If you wear them around the Blue Mall with just the right amount of attitude you could start a new fashion trend, even a new mania.

Somebody got rich off pet rocks and chia pets.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo gets very nice steel cap boots from his employer, CAT, i believe? great quality, solf lining. even a dead mouse inside (gift from the cats) was not a problem :)