Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Timberland (Blue Mall) = Idiots!

I have obviously been spoiled by the excellent customer service and common sense in Colombia when it comes to selling something.

I walk into Timberland in Blue Mall (Santo Domingo) today looking for a pair of safety boots. I needed a good comfortabel pair that will last me a while and I need them within the next few days. I checked online, so had a rough idea of the USA pricing as a comparison.

4 girls standing together at the counter and one guy actually serving. I wasn't the only customer in the store, he had to split himself between 2 others while the 4 idiots at the checkout watched. I'm guessing they must be the owners daughters?

They didn't have a great selection and only had a few sizes. The only pair they had in my size had a RD$9,000 (US$240) price tag, around US$80 more expensive than the USA.

I wanted to try it on before convincing myself I needed it. It was a very nice boot and fitted my requirements.
    I asked if they had any thick socks to try it with. Yes, but I would need to buy them first.
    I initially thought I had misheard the female managers Spanish, so I got her to repeat.
    Yep, we cannot let you use a RD$500 sock to make a RD$9,000 sale.

I got up and walked out...

2. Likes SKing, John Boyter, RAPHAEL liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Robert!

Did you actually get your steel toe caps?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Welcome back Robert!

Did you actually get your steel toe caps?
    Nope, not yet. I'll have a better hunt around tomorrow.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So why do socks cost so much?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If your in Santiago on Thursdays they have a flea market on shoes, Bermudez Street; probably pick up the steel toe for about 1/3 of the $$$$

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

why steel toes ? they are usually very uncomfortable and way to hot for RD climate unless absolutly required for work ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Another of these typical things here... I could easily imagine that the guy working in that shop would have to pay the socks if he opens the package or give them to you as an add on. Even in case of a 9 K purchase. They "tick" like that I am afraid I have to say...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have obviously been spoiled by the excellent customer service and common sense in Colombia when it comes to selling something.

I walk into Timberland in Blue Mall (Santo Domingo) today looking for a pair of safety boots. I needed a good comfortabel pair that will last me a while and I need them within the next few days. I checked online, so had a rough idea of the USA pricing as a comparison.

4 girls standing together at the counter and one guy actually serving. I wasn't the only customer in the store, he had to split himself between 2 others while the 4 idiots at the checkout watched. I'm guessing they must be the owners daughters?

They didn't have a great selection and only had a few sizes. The only pair they had in my size had a RD$9,000 (US$240) price tag, around US$80 more expensive than the USA.

I wanted to try it on before convincing myself I needed it. It was a very nice boot and fitted my requirements.
    I asked if they had any thick socks to try it with. Yes, but I would need to buy them first.
    I initially thought I had misheard the female managers Spanish, so I got her to repeat.
    Yep, we cannot let you use a RD$500 sock to make a RD$9,000 sale.

I got up and walked out...
    The "owner" of that Timberish store is none other than the Blue Mall administration office, the guy happens to be the store sales clerk, the girls by the counter are just there for looks rather than usefulness...

The common sense is there, what's not is the freedom to use it with the store's stock at hand!

Why would you even consider wearing a store's "courtesy" sock is beyond me! I even make sure to carry a small spray bottle for shoes when I try out their stock at hands.

We both agree that the administration could render the use of socks to clients like yourself without a charge, keeping in mind that they'll be purchasing the items soon after...

Customer service is an alien culture to the Dominican Republic and pretty much missing in all levels.

Your brief stay in Colombia made you forget that this is the DR, and things are as they are no matter the ritzy the place!! LOL!!!
    One Dominican at a time please!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck T View Post
    why steel toes ? they are usually very uncomfortable and way to hot for RD climate unless absolutly required for work ?
    Probably he needs them for his next tour de force in Colombia?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

And Robert... If you're shelling out RD$9,000 for a pair of boots, RD$500 for a pair of socks would seem like pennies...

LOL!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast