BEWARE the prices - Gas Station Punta Cana

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi - just want to give heads up - when you need to fill up at new gas station in Punta Cana - they will automatically fill up with premium - I didn't even have a chance to get out of car and say "regular". Anyway in my small car - it was $75 US. So the second time I had to fill up - when the guy was furiously waving his hand for me to move my car his way - I stopped him in his tracks and yelled regular - it was about $30.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Difference only = 16.10 RD$/Gallon

Hi - just want to give heads up - when you need to fill up at new gas station in Punta Cana - they will automatically fill up with premium - I didn't even have a chance to get out of car and say "regular". Anyway in my small car - it was $75 US. So the second time I had to fill up - when the guy was furiously waving his hand for me to move my car his way - I stopped him in his tracks and yelled regular - it was about $30.
Not possible, if it was (m?s ? menos) the same amount of petrol:
Inicio * - MIC

donP

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I find it hard to believe "High Test" is double the price than regular, but thanks for the heads up on watching the ladrones at the pump.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Hmmm,
I do not believe there is that much difference. $30 to $70, I do not think so. The regular is not suitable for most vehicles because it is imported leaded gas. American imports should always use premium just as I do in my Jeep. My Dominican friends tell me they never buy regular......
carib

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This weeks prices: Gasolina Premium $234.50 Gasolina Regular $218.40
How does $75 become $30?????

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Are we going to get fixated on the $30 to $75 and discredit the heads up? Lets appreciate the info for what it is and stop nit picking minutia. The op probably filled up the car the first time from reserve to full tank and the second time he probably filled from half tank.

NotLurking

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hmmm,
I do not believe there is that much difference. $30 to $70, I do not think so. The regular is not suitable for most vehicles because it is imported leaded gas. American imports should always use premium just as I do in my Jeep. My Dominican friends tell me they never buy regular......
carib
Regular is NOT leaded.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I don't know of any refineries that still produce leaded gasoline, at least not in the USA, all cars run on unleaded fuel be it regular or premium however, several are adding ethanol now.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I don't know of any refineries that still produce leaded gasoline, at least not in the USA, all cars run on unleaded fuel be it regular or premium however, several are adding ethanol now.

Not dead yet, still used somewhat, in these countries..........

1. Myanmar (Burma)

2. Algeria

3. Iraq

4. Afghanistan

5. North Korea

6. Yemen

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You mean the new Shell on the Bulevar Turistico between the airport and Bavaro? One of our neighbours suspected they'd sold him very poor quality petrol at that station - best avoided as much as possible.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
There is more than one way to steal from customers. I had problems with a Shell station in Bani. Even though the price of diesel was the same and the gauge was about the same spot (near empty), one Shell station cost RD$250 more to fill up than another. I suspect they were selling me short gallons. I would report it if I knew where.

Looks like Shell needs to police franchises better.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
yes it happened to me the other day too because they make more money if they sell you the most expensive one, just know that they didnt steal from you because they gave you the most expensive one so i think you paid for what you got (Of course that is assuming that they do sell the good one... :) ) but generally start with REGULAR... LLENO jejeje after that i open the tank ;)

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!

~Thanks for the heads up, even if the math doesn't add up, its still a noteworthy post.....don't mind the
naysayers?....its still a rip off know matter how you add it up...;)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Last time in P.C. I filled up at the Texico in Friusa, and the guy pumped premium when I told him regular. not much you can do after the fact. BUT... the big rip off was due to the rental car I was in. The fuel gauge showed "full" when I rented the car, so obviously as usual, they told me I needed to return the car "full", or have to pay double the price for the gas. Anyway, had been driving around a little, but not a lot, and the gauge dropped pretty fast. Was planning to drive up to Macao, so figured I'd gas up. The tank must have been nearly empty! Lucky for me I decided to get gas, or I would have been stuck on the road somewhere, out of gas, with a gauge that still said half full. The tank must have had only a quarter of a tank, or less, when I got it from the rental agency, but I did return it full.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The myth of needing premium gasoline

Hmmm,
carib

If your engine pings or knocks on regular gas, then the octane rating is not high enough (or there are other engine problems) and you can try switching to premium to see if the problem stops. Pinging is more obvious if you are under acceleration climbing a hill and the engine is under more load. If you are using regular and don't hear any odd sounds from your engine, then there is no need to go to premium. Your friends are providing some incorrect information. I have never owned a vehicle in my life that needed to run on premium gasoline.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
If your engine pings or knocks on regular gas, then the octane rating is not high enough (or there are other engine problems) and you can try switching to premium to see if the problem stops. Pinging is more obvious if you are under acceleration climbing a hill and the engine is under more load. If you are using regular and don't hear any odd sounds from your engine, then there is no need to go to premium. Your friends are providing some incorrect information. I have never owned a vehicle in my life that needed to run on premium gasoline.

I agree, I think the PREMIUM gasolines are for high performance engines, ie, Porche, BMW, Ferrari, fast cars!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I agree, I think the PREMIUM gasolines are for high performance engines, ie, Porche, BMW, Ferrari, fast cars!

Agreed! the only thing I put premium in is my Motorcycle...higher octane is better for my motor and performance...

Feb 7, 2007
I once got swindled in Isla gas station in Vicente Noble (Barahona) for 500 pesos... that was about 4 years ago.

Apparently they already had 500 pesos pumped and they did not reset the counter. I asked to get 1000 pesos worth of gasoline (gasoline at that time was cheap) and it should have gone to almost full, but the gauge was just slightly over half (I had about 1/8 of the tank at the moment). My fault, I had to pay.

The OP most likely got swindled the same way, it had 30 dollars already pumped and on the screen, they pumped his tank full (US$35) for the total of US$75. That would explain the $30 and $75 difference.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I once got swindled in Isla gas station in Vicente Noble (Barahona) for 500 pesos... that was about 4 years ago.

Apparently they already had 500 pesos pumped and they did not reset the counter. I asked to get 1000 pesos worth of gasoline (gasoline at that time was cheap) and it should have gone to almost full, but the gauge was just slightly over half (I had about 1/8 of the tank at the moment). My fault, I had to pay.

The OP most likely got swindled the same way, it had 30 dollars already pumped and on the screen, they pumped his tank full (US$35) for the total of US$75. That would explain the $30 and $75 difference.

For sure this is what happened. Anyone that says stay in your car at the gas station better have great vision.