Bilingual schools in SD

M

Marilyn

I will be moving to Santo Domingo next summer and I want to send my children (who are bilingual, spanish and english) to a bilingual school so that they don't loose the English language. Anyone has any suggestion of a good and not too expensive school?
I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

H

Henry

Saint George and Interamerican School are very good!

But the most important thing is - you MUST apply right now, ore there is just no chance on getting a place!

Henry

H

Henry

Depends on the age of the kids!

Somewhat from RD$ 35000 to RD$ 60000 per year! (USD 2090 to USD 3580)

The schools I mentioned to me are the most recomedable due there are other in town like the Henry Morgan school (very expensive) etc.

Henry

(Remember the inscription - VIP)

R

RW

Marilyn,

I have heard that St. George isn't all that great. It is expensive and the education is not that great in quality like many private schools here; there are good schools here though. The key is to matriculate soon but to also visit and ,if possible, to sit in a classroom to observe. Many private schools here look great and expensive on the outside and spend their money in embellishing the school etc. and not paying teachers properly, or on teacher workshops and training etc, and they get poor teachers as a result. I was just very shocked when I went to visit many private schools here- complete mayhem was what I saw.

M

Marilyn

Henry renamed it after him...only joking.

Thanks for the info.

S

sharon

Wasn't there a famous pirate named Henry Morgan?...when I read *Henry Morgan School* I immediately pictured classes in Swashbuckling, Climbing the Mast 101, etc...it gave me quite a chuckle...;-))....

E

elise morgan

more school advise

I have just been through a job hunt to teach at bilingual schools and can offer some advise from what I've seen.

1) Most Dominican Bilingual schools are okay, but VERY traditional and may miss the mark if your kids are used to an American or European standard.... here are a few...
- St. George is the oldest(i.e. very strict, very traditional) and one of the most expensive schools, ( a friend who works there says many kids show up with cell phones to school)but very respected by Dominicans
- Carol Morgan is more American and probably about the same price range, is rather large, and well thought of as far as American schools go here.
- St. Michaels, American Bicultural (ABC) are two other schools with okay reputations. ???as far as prices

2) If you are looking for a slightly different school, there are several Montessori bilingual schools, and a canadian school called 'Center for Community Learning'- which totes 'wholisitc learning'....very untraditional, less strict....

some advise...don't believe everything you hear!!!After working in a small SUPPOSEDLY bilingual school for a year, I have realized that the schools here are a REAL business and may advertise a very twisted version of what the school is really like! Well enough cynicism....good luck!!!!!

H

Henry

Re: more school advise

I thought, the Carol Morgan was the most expensive - has there changed something? They definitly have the biggest complex in town, but my kids are at St. George and I love the striktness of them!

Henry

M

Marilyn

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Thanks everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, I won't be in DR until July, I hope I have time to register the children. I'll have my family in DR do some research for me on the schools you've mentioned.