3 week stay in Santo Domingo - recommendations

pedropanza

May 9, 2011
I would like to find accommodation for a 3 week stay in Santo Domingo.

Previous hotel stayings have proved unpleasant:

- there were no middle category hotels that I could find, only super expensive or ratholes

- if you do find something acceptable in one respect, it is unacceptable in another: cold showers, non-working sink, extremely small shower, bedsheets washed once every two weeks, absent receptionist, accumulation of garbage at the entrance, anything goes.

- hotel was ok but very popular with hip-hop brother crowds from NY.

Ideally I would like to find apartments rented by the week/month, in normal middle class neighborhoods.

Apartahotels have generally not worked for me because the lack of a reception meant that a lot of guests were playing superloud music at any time, soiling public spaces etc.

Suggestions?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Hotel Aida. granhotelaida.com 8096857692 right incolonial zone. On main. Street clean secure and economical and pizza place and 24 ahour good cafe 1 block away 3 and ask 0 -35 a nite us start there and ask for longer term in thisarea

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
You mentioned previous hotel experiences but you did not state which hotels you had stayed at. That would give someone a guide as to what to reccommend. Also are you possibly related to sancho panza ?

pedropanza

May 9, 2011
arrugala: thanks

ajl: I am closely related to Sancho Panza...

I tried two hotels and a apartahotel.

One hotel was on the corner of Arzobispo Nouel & Palo Hincado, I think I saw good reviews on this board.

For 40 or 50 US$, my room had a tiny bathroom, to the limit of not being able to turn myself, extremely dusty closet, soiled my clothes, no window in room. Final touch, they stole my credit card number and cloned it in the States.

Then I tried another hotel, on Isabel la Catolica, oh yes I remember, it was called Plaza Colonial. Price for the room was the same, about 40 or 50 US$.

Upon arrival, the bedsheets were dirty. I did not vomit, but they could not find either clean bedsheets or another room with clean bedsheets.

The bathroom was extremely tiny, but both of these things were not the worst.

At about 5pm I realized that half of the people in the hotel were New York hip hop brothers. I used to live in Chicago, and even for me, they were downright scary people. They occupied the couches in the common space on EVERY floor, playing hip hop extremely loud until 5am, and in the morning the whole floor was completely strewn with bottles of coke and rum. Upon passing, they subjected everybody to very close inspection, but nobody felt like objecting, for reasons that American readers are very familiar with.

Then I tried a apartahotel, on Mercedes in Zona Colonial too. It was half decent, but the inner court was a garbage dump, and the customers were really people I did not like sharing a building with at night.

Anybody knows about rooms or studios in good neighborhoods to rent by the week?

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
There are many fine hotels in the capital. Mostly away from the colonial zone and mostly above your desired price points. To me, anything decent should be at least double the $50 or so you are looking for.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
There is a nice middle lane hotel/apartotel in the ZC, I forget its name, someone will know if I describe where it is. If you walk down El Conde, down past the El Conde cafe/bar/restaurant on the square and hang a first left on the street where the banks are, there is a newly modernized hotel, all done out with purple lights inside and long white drapes, very modern for that part of town. The hotel has its own bar and the air con on full blast so it os freezing in the lobby but overall nice. Right hand side of the road. It was more than $50us, but for that I don't expect much, neither should you. There is a load of Aparthotels for $50us but you won't get much for your money, I think even Hotel Danue in Gazcue is $rd1000 per night and that is no frills and probably one of the quietest roads in the capital.

pedropanza

May 9, 2011
There are many fine hotels in the capital. Mostly away from the colonial zone and mostly above your desired price points. To me, anything decent should be at least double the $50 or so you are looking for.

I agree! That's why I asked for apartments by the week.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you are prepared to just turn up then go to the taxi rank outside Hotel El Conde, there is a guy there called Chico, he will sort you out with an apartment by the week very reasonably and slap bang in the middle of the ZC, just off El Conde.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Pedro, if you're looking for an apartment in a residential, quiet area of Santo Domingo, try this one: Santo Domingo : Dominican Republic Rentals : Apartment For Rent

We stayed there for a month last January while remodeling our house. On the malecon. Very clean apartments, very nice people. If you're a party/loud music guy, don't bother. Either the owners or their relative is there all the time, and any problems were fixed immediately, if not sooner. Only downside is no a/c, if you're going in summer that can be an issue - but every room has ceiling fans. They do have inverters for each unit. Hot water.

PM me if you have any more questions.

AE

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Check it out on this board, Aparta Hotel Roma, there are two on them, I am referring to the second one. I am not home now, as I've been staying at my second place, so I don't have their info here, but it should be easy enough to find. It is the Roma not across from the Jumbo Supermarket on the Conde, but about a block away on a side street off the Conde about a half block north of the Conde. Rooms are great; spacious and clean, all accomodations! One of the nicest hotels rooms I have seen for the price. If I didn't have a place in the capital, that is where I would stay upon my visits. I believe about $55/night, could be less, not sure, and I am sure they will give you a bit of a break for an extended stay. I know when I brought a friend there a few months ago, they said they would, for an extended stay. Good Luck.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
On 19 De Marzo there is a 16 1 rooms apartments that offers nightly, weekly and monthly rate. nightly at 50US and monthly rate about 600US. This place own by an American guy that lives across the street with his and daughter, the wife is the one that runs the aparta-hotel. very secured, clean, magnetic keys to enter the building which is good and not good because if you lose it you would have to contact the manager by phone to let you in. PM me if needs more info.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Im sorry for your crappy experience PedroP.

I have never had those problems with the aparta-hotels in gazcue. I have stayed in 3 different ones, and have taken a tour of all others.

Calle Danae (between independencia and santiago) :
hotel jecasergian - everything is brand new in the room. The 1000-1200rd rooms are a bit snug but there have 1200-1500rd rooms which are great.
Hotel riparbella - rooms are all good sizes, and the wifi is great.

On calle hermanos deligne (cross st is indenpendencia)
jaguar hotel - the rooms are good size and all have real king size beds.

You will run into hookers on calle danae but they arent street rats who are agressive but other than that i like calle danae because it has a colmado on each corner and the hotels have cafeterias.

Jaguar is cool because it is completely private, you wouldnt even know it is a hotel until you talk to someone inside.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Im sorry for your crappy experience PedroP.

I have never had those problems with the aparta-hotels in gazcue. I have stayed in 3 different ones, and have taken a tour of all others.

Calle Danae (between independencia and santiago) :
hotel jecasergian - everything is brand new in the room. The 1000-1200rd rooms are a bit snug but there have 1200-1500rd rooms which are great.
Hotel riparbella - rooms are all good sizes, and the wifi is great.

On calle hermanos deligne (cross st is indenpendencia)
jaguar hotel - the rooms are good size and all have real king size beds.

You will run into hookers on calle danae but they arent street rats who are agressive but other than that i like calle danae because it has a colmado on each corner and the hotels have cafeterias.

Jaguar is cool because it is completely private, you wouldnt even know it is a hotel until you talk to someone inside.

I should have said my go to hotel is jecasergian. The price point is good, the beds are new, the bathrooms are new, and it is next to a couple of residences/business so there is always parking near.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Check it out on this board, Aparta Hotel Roma, there are two on them, I am referring to the second one. I am not home now, as I've been staying at my second place, so I don't have their info here, but it should be easy enough to find. It is the Roma not across from the Jumbo Supermarket on the Conde, but about a block away on a side street off the Conde about a half block north of the Conde. Rooms are great; spacious and clean, all accomodations! One of the nicest hotels rooms I have seen for the price. If I didn't have a place in the capital, that is where I would stay upon my visits. I believe about $55/night, could be less, not sure, and I am sure they will give you a bit of a break for an extended stay. I know when I brought a friend there a few months ago, they said they would, for an extended stay. Good Luck.

I stayed at this Hotel last month. Very nice and clean. I would stay there again. Taxi could be found right in front or just have the staff call you one. Used the yellow taxi can take you to almost anywhere in the city or 200 pesos. The address is
Calle 19 de Marzo, Hotel Roma II