Staying in DR, can someone explain me what's a cedula?

airplanez

Apr 28, 2011
Decided to stay in DR for a little longer, but I want to know what's exactly a cedula. Also do i need both a cedula and residency card to work here and stay legally? And if so, how do i get them?Thanks!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
A cedula is a national identity card. You are a DR citizen with it, entitle to most (I think) legal rights.

As for needing them, you will hear different answers from different people.
I've lived here for 2.5 years without any papers. I have a full time job at an international company, they used my passport to pay me, and wrote me a letter to get a bank account.

I doubt I will ever get any papers, unless I decided I needed a car, or learned the language well enough to work for a more "local" company.

Will every job hire you without residency? No.
If you don't speak Spanish, then your options are already limited, but since your English is a benefit to a place like a call center, you can be hired by those types of locations.

As for how to get them... .the legal section has this covered 110%, check it out.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is a national identity card and has NOTHING to do with Citizenship. YOU ARE NOT a citizen when you get one. It does help to have one if you are here full time as it makes banking, phones, daily liveing easier but many here do not bother to get it. They are easy to get and if using a lawyer (a good one that is) it takes 3-6 months to get and costs between $900-$1500 or so to do. You also need one to get you DR drivers lic., and is required for many jobs here.

Bob K

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A c?dula holder is either a citizen or a legal resident of the Dominican Republic. If a citizen, it is called "C?dula de Identidad y Electoral" because it can be used for voting purposes; if a legal resident, it is called just "C?dula de Identidad" because it can only be used for identification purposes (legal residents do not have the right to vote).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It is a national identity card (...) and if using a lawyer (a good one that is) it takes 3-6 months to get and costs between $900-$1500 or so to do.
That is the "residencia" ... which you need to get first, the "cedula" is linked to it.

donP