Opening/Managing a bank account in Sto Dgo while living in the USA

AimHigh

Jan 22, 2009
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I receive monthly payments from a house I'm renting out in Santo Domingo and I would like to have a bank account there where the money would be deposited every month. I would like to manage my money from the USA and be able to take money out from here if I need to. Can anyone please fill me in on how I would go about opening a bank account without having to make a trip there. I'm sure the banking system, fees and regulations are different from what we have here in the USA. So if anyone with experience in this area can tell me what options I have as far as doing online banking, getting an ATM card, fees etc. I was born in the Dom Rep but I'm a US citizen and I reside in Texas.

Thank you

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
easiest way is to make one trip. Banco Popular has on line banking where you can control your accts from wherever you are.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I agree with AJL... online banking is easy. BUT... IIRC you need to open the account in person. Need references from your bank in the U.S., passport, and I think maybe a local reference, (ours was our real estate agent.)

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Be very careful

After just having serious money go missing with a Dominican CPA, I now would suggest you not let anyone have access to your cash, credit card, bank account online or your checkbook, period.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
You can open up savings accts in US$ and pre-arrange automatic transfers from the DR

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
After just having serious money go missing with a Dominican CPA, I now would suggest you not let anyone have access to your cash, credit card, bank account online or your checkbook, period.
Southward, that should be a no - brainer...........juust read many of the posts on different subjects, It should be called The Isle of Corruption.