Private Investigators in the DR

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
It is frequently mentioned in DR1 about the use of Private Investigators for one reason or another usually trying to verify personal information. I know many of them both here and in the US including all the so called background check data bases on line who by the way are a waste of money as they are incomplete and frequently have wrong information. What is the general scope of work and rate of pay? Can anybody provide personal experiences?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I just wanted the DR1 folks to know the rate of pay and scope of work for a PI here because the topic comes up here.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In DR people are hired most of the by word of mouth recommendation before they can submit what we call a "curriculum vitae" (resume) supported by the education of the applicant and of course of years of experience working for one or more company.

Ex; Right now I'm trying to help my younger daughter in Santiago to get her first job, the best way will be with a reputable recommendation that she comes from a good family, esta bien criada and well educated... I had called a couple laboratories from Santo Dom. I worked for doing of seller to see if they need a promotora in the Santiago area.

JJ

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I was thinking more of DR1 members finding out the price and work product of PI's in the DR. I am not lookinng for one.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't have the hourly rates handy but they can vary a great deal from US20 on up, and up and up especially when dealing with a foreigner. Also, the PI's here have the reputation, justly or unjustly, of negotiating with the person being investigated to get more money than what the person who wants the investigation is being paid. Finally, Charles will be leaving the country soon so his services will no longer be available.

This is a good business opportunity for an expat established here with this type of background because there is definitely a need. As an example before the economy went South he had 3 or 4 cases a month at US500 to US1000 - not bad money. One of the most important components is hooking up with a local pi or someone to do the investigative work because obviously a gringo will stick out like a sore thumb. Contacts can be easily made at the "detective privado" licensing office in SD off of Charles Sumner Ave. near Pricesmart. Finally, this doesn't have to be a dangerous business if one limits oneself to investigating spouses or gf/bf. I would shy away from any business type of investigations for obvious reasons.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Ok so the rate of pay is around $US 20 an hour but what do they do for this sum? This is only an educational excercise because I am not interested in working but rather I am trying to find out fo rthe DR1 folks what they do here. The common background here would be I think to find out if the subject is married, has another gf/bf. child etc.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ok so the rate of pay is around $US 20 an hour but what do they do for this sum? This is only an educational excercise because I am not interested in working but rather I am trying to find out fo rthe DR1 folks what they do here. The common background here would be I think to find out if the subject is married, has another gf/bf. child etc.

There is a great range of prices that are charged here. If you want send me a pm and Charles will call you.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Am I correct in thinking that all someone requires to begin a career as a PI is good contacts, no actual formal entry status to register?
I have noticed that possibly this is an American thing as I rarely hear of Europeans hiring PI's for the things they snoop into over here, am I correct in my thoughts, is this quite normal in the US?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This is a good business opportunity for an expat established here with this type of background because there is definitely a need. As an example before the economy went South he had 3 or 4 cases a month at US500 to US1000 - not bad money. One of the most important components is hooking up with a local pi or someone to do the investigative work because obviously a gringo will stick out like a sore thumb. Contacts can be easily made at the "detective privado" licensing office in SD off of Charles Sumner Ave. near Pricesmart. Finally, this doesn't have to be a dangerous business if one limits oneself to investigating spouses or gf/bf. I would shy away from any business type of investigations for obvious reasons.

Why not skip the middle man (gringo) and hire a good local PI instead (much cheaper I assume) ?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I have noticed that possibly this is an American thing as I rarely hear of Europeans hiring PI's for the things they snoop into over here, am I correct in my thoughts, is this quite normal in the US?

I don't think it's that common in the US, either, but once you see a few TV shows you're left with that impression. Posters may suggest it for people living outside the DR that don't have personal contacts that can verify what they need. I doubt that many people that suggest one have ever actually used one.