DR cell phone to US

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
I've heard you can purchase a cell phone with minutes in DR (puerto plata) around $20 us for local calls does that work for calls to US and US to call that phone I'll be needing one for a week any help would be great thanks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I've heard you can purchase a cell phone with minutes in DR (puerto plata) around $20 us for local calls does that work for calls to US and US to call that phone I'll be needing one for a week any help would be great thanks.

You can buy a basic cell phone for under $20 with a few minutes to call anywhere, you just reload the minutes by buying a phone card at any colmado. If you have an unlocked GSM cell phone, you can just buy a SIM card and minutes for even less! They will always tell you it is locked in DR even if it isn't, less of a headache to just buy a cheap phone in DR!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

The phone should work for calls to the USA. Any cellphone you purchase for use in DR with any of the service provider (Claro, Viva or Orange) should work just fine for making calls to USA.

NotLurking

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It costs the same to call the US from the DR as it does a local DR number on a cell phone here.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Unless youhave a plan with Orange or Claro the calls will be more to the US then calling locally to the DR but still pretty reasonable. Like another poster said if your US phone is unlocked (or have it unlocked) then you just need to buy the sim card and it will come with some minutes already loaded. Then just add minutes as you need.
I did notice from another post that you are staying at lifestyles and there not a very close place to do this or get minutes added. So if you are taking a cab from the airport have him stop at a Orange or Claro store on the way out and load up then.

Bob K

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
BobK more than likley i'll buy a cheapie phone there sounds like less hassle. I'ts a pain when you travel and need a phone with kids home you know the parties ya gotta keep reminding them to be good and not find anything broken when you get home kids ya gotta love'em. We got the transfer from airport to hotel possibly pick one up friday morn when pick up rental car in POP.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I have an old sprint phone that I took down there about 5 yrs ago and it still works, with the same # I had then and I just re-up the minutes when I get there.............:bunny::bunny::bunny:

You're fine with most chip phones .............except nextel......and for less than 20 us, get it activated there....