Born as Extranjero

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
My son was born in DR. Me and my wife are foreigners /no cedula/ and the baby was registered in Junta Electoral as Extranjero. What is the procedure for him to obtain a Dominican passport and to leave the country on it? Does he needs a EU visa to enter EU as we, his parents, are EU citizents?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your son is not a Dominican citizen, he is only a citizen of whatever EU country you and your wife are from. Contact your embassy to get him a passport from that country.

As far as the DR is concerned, I believe they consider you all illegal aliens since you're not legal residents with cedulas.

AE

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Your son is not a Dominican citizen, he is only a citizen of whatever EU country you and your wife are from. Contact your embassy to get him a passport from that country.

As far as the DR is concerned, I believe they consider you all illegal aliens since you're not legal residents with cedulas.

AE

If Haitian "anchor-babies" get citizenship, why not Europeans?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
My son was born in DR. Me and my wife are foreigners /no cedula/ and the baby was registered in Junta Electoral as Extranjero. What is the procedure for him to obtain a Dominican passport and to leave the country on it? Does he needs a EU visa to enter EU as we, his parents, are EU citizents?
Depending what country you are a citizen of so too is your offspring a citizen of the same country. You'll need to get a copy of the Dominican foreign birth certificate. Take it to your consulate or embassy and have the birth register in you country's vital records office. The exact procedure of getting this done depends on your country of origin and you did post it. Please post your country of citizenship if you want better advice and help.

NotLurking

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One law the DR got right - no anchor babies

If Haitian "anchor-babies" get citizenship, why not Europeans?

In my opinion, this is one law the DR got right. Being born in the DR does not make a child of foreign parents a Dominican citizen. No anchor baby status here in the DR.

The others are correct that the child's citizenship is based upon its parents citizenship only. It will be far better for the child to have an EU passport. Hope you can work out the details with your embassy.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The new Dominican Constitution states:
Article 18. Nationality. The following persons are Dominican nationals:

3) Any person born within the territory of the Dominican Republic, except those born to members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, and foreigners who are “in transit” or reside illegally in Dominican territory. A foreigner “in transit” is any person defined as such by the laws of the Dominican Republic.

The child, therefore, is not a Dominican national.