Where to buy antibiotics and other "non" prescription drugs in Punta Cana area

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
Where to buy antibiotics and other "non" prescription drugs in Punta Cana area

I am looking for somewhere to by antibiotics over the counter as well as what other drugs can be purchased nonprescription legally in the DR. My comparison is to Mexico where there are many that can be purchased over the counter.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
if you're in Cortecito / los Corales, there's a pharmacy in el Dorado. I needed Advil on my last visit and was able to get prescription strength 800 mg. there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where will you be? But wherever, you can buy antibiotics in any pharmacy, both those approved for sale in the US plus those being widely used in Europe but not yet in the US.

If one pharmacy doesn't have what you want, try another. They don't all have everything, so sometimes you have to check around.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If one pharmacy doesn't have what you want, try another. They don't all have everything, so sometimes you have to check around.
Pharmacies will often check around for you, get what you need, and deliver it to your door.

It's a good idea to establish a relationship with a pharmacy the same way you establish one with a cambio.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Be sure you know the generic name for the drug you want. Many brand name drugs in the US are available in generic form in the DR. But, as many pharmacy clerks are not pharmacists, they don't know the generic equivalent if you ask for the much more expensive brand-name drug.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Be sure you know the generic name for the drug you want. Many brand name drugs in the US are available in generic form in the DR. But, as many pharmacy clerks are not pharmacists, they don't know the generic equivalent if you ask for the much more expensive brand-name drug.

The pharmacy I use in Sosua has a thick book indicating, amother other things, other names that a brand name drug is sold by. If necessary, they can check the book. I would think all pharmacies would have such a book to get the generic equivalent, or at least the larger pharmacies.

If you tell us where you will be shopping for meds, perhaps someone can suggest the best source in that location.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
belmont - I was just curious why you marked my post about the pharmacy in el dorado with a "dislike"? Not that it really matters, or that I care all that much... but I don't understand why offering accurate information in reply to a question would bother anyone!?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
belmont - I was just curious why you marked my post about the pharmacy in el dorado with a "dislike"? Not that it really matters, or that I care all that much... but I don't understand why offering accurate information in reply to a question would bother anyone!?

I don't blame you for asking. I read your post and don't understand, either, why anyone would object to it. Seemed to me it was a well-meant attempt to provide useful info to the OP.

To much booze and pushed the wrong button, they could be quite hard to find when they are microscopical in size. :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
thanks for the comments, everyone. actually in retrospect I should have just sent that question to belmont as a PM instead of bogging down the thread with it.

anyway... on to the next post. :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"the pharmacy I use in Sosua" - is this a secret? You have lived here a long time. How about sharing it? Personally I like and usually go to Alberto's on the road from Sosua to Charamicos.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"the pharmacy I use in Sosua" - is this a secret? You have lived here a long time. How about sharing it? Personally I like and usually go to Alberto's on the road from Sosua to Charamicos.

I mostly go to Sosua Farmacia next to little Playero. But on occasion I have gone to Alberto's. They also seem to be well stocked. But I live close to the Sosua Farmacia and don't have a car. But if they don't have it, Alberto's usually does. I either have it delivered by motorcycle or walk along the beach.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Never tried that one. One good aspect is the parking and no trying to cross the dangerous street without being hit. Thanks, I will give them a try. Have you found that prices are non competetive with pharmacies like the gasoline stations here? I may be spoiled but I like price competition.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Never tried that one. One good aspect is the parking and no trying to cross the dangerous street without being hit. Thanks, I will give them a try. Have you found that prices are non competetive with pharmacies like the gasoline stations here? I may be spoiled but I like price competition.

I think prices about the same. At one time, the prices at the one by Texaco,were very high, so I never go there. Prices there may now be same as others, but they lost me by their price gouging when it was occurring.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You can get over the counter medicines at any pharmacy in the tourist zone. The quantity, prices, and availability of certain pharmaceuticals may vary at locations; usually higher prices near better residencials, lower prices around the barrios. The pharmacies will sell by the pill, but check the expiration date on the carton before accepting. It is good to know the generic or chemical name of certain medicines especially if you have purchased them in your home country under a brand name. Brand names you are familiar with may not be sold here. Drug products similar to the brand names are available.

PJT has found the pharmacy at Central Medico Punta Cana on Av Espana in Bavaro is a good local source of medicines.

If you wish to go outside the tourist zone you can find much lower prices at the "Boticas", Farmacias del Pueblo. There is one in La Otra Banda, on the main road, opposite the Policia National and the other at the end of the street of Public Hospital, Nuestra Senora de la Altagracia in Higuey. Please note: their prices are extremely low however at times there is limited availability of certain medicines.

Regards,

PJT

Last edited:

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
you can just go to the farmacia and tell them the name of the pill you want and how many. I just did last week (Bavaro) and it was muy facil :)