Need to purchase hoist and compressor

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
My brother, a professional mechanic, has recently moved to the Cabarete area and will be opening a new repair shop (Car/trucks/motorcycles) in Cabarete soon. He is opening it so he can keep busy, not make millions :)
In order to open the shop he needs to purchase a 7,000 lb hoist and a 60 gallon compressor.
Anyone know where we can look for these items? Suggestions welcome! Thanks Dr1 members I can always count on you to help out.
Yvonne

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
In general, unless he finds something good used, he needs to at least travel to Santiago to make these purchases for both advantages in pricing, selection and most important availability. I would check with the big hardware stores Ochoa first myself as they will have the compressor, and maybe the hoist. If they don't have the hoist, ask them where as some of the sales people there are quite helpful and informative. Bellon used to have a lot of odd things like that but I don't know what they carry now since the fire. Remember that when you purchase in Ochoa, get the prices at the "contractor" or commercial sales desk as they will always give a discount. I know that Pricesmart also has air compressors but not really commercial units, but may be worth a look. The hoist will be the less common item and hopefully someone will have a better response for you.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
In general, unless he finds something good used, he needs to at least travel to Santiago to make these purchases for both advantages in pricing, selection and most important availability. I would check with the big hardware stores Ochoa first myself as they will have the compressor, and maybe the hoist. If they don't have the hoist, ask them where as some of the sales people there are quite helpful and informative. Bellon used to have a lot of odd things like that but I don't know what they carry now since the fire. Remember that when you purchase in Ochoa, get the prices at the "contractor" or commercial sales desk as they will always give a discount. I know that Pricesmart also has air compressors but not really commercial units, but may be worth a look. The hoist will be the less common item and hopefully someone will have a better response for you.

I think it is easier if you can get this stuff imported from Miami. You want to walk into a hardware and find a 3.5 ton lift? Haha! Besides if you do get a used compressor how are you going to operate it with unstable 120V when the thing runs on 220V? Is he going to get an industrial generator along with this stuff? If not then he will be like everyone else working by hand and simple lift devices.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Well when I read the OP needed a 7000 lb hoist, I was thinking of the type of mechanized pulley system used to lift loads. While 7000 lbs may seem to be a lot, in reality it is not that great. Small bottle jacks and floor jacks are routinely rated at 2000 to 3000 lbs such as the jack in your car/suv. A 4 ton (8000 lbs) come-along hand winch is quite small (around 11 lbs, see Hand Cable Winch Come Along, 4 Ton Economy) so don't let the 7000 lb detour you on that. And yes, Bellon used to have pulley hoists if memory serves correct (before they burned down). Now you are talking about a some type of floor lift, and that is another animal altogether.

A 60 gallon compressor is again not that large but it is not the tank size as much as it is the motor size depending on the use. Most any commercial type of compressor has a 220v motor but most any name-brand generator (Kubota, etc) from 7 kilos and up have a 220v single phase output. I agree that to run any business that requires electricity demands a generator if you plan on any type of consistency of work time.

Yes it is certainly easier to buy it in Miami, but that of course is just step 1 of the process. All depends on your personal pain threshold.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Hi, to answer RacerX's question about a generator, he will have one. I've been here long enough to know that the electricity is unstable and if he wants to do his job in a timely manner he'll need one.
We may bring in whatever hoist he needs from Canada, Peralta Bros. has done amazing importing for me so far at a reasonable rate with no headaches. We just wanted to see if we could get what he needed down here first because you just never know what's available.
Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks guys!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Don't need used, would rather have new.....Santo Domingo will be on our list just need an idea of what the stores are called so I can find them :)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Have you been to any of the big hardware stores in Santo Domingo? I can think of at least three that would have a roll around hoist.

We do have INDUSTRIAL hardware stores here.

As for used, that will be much harder to find.
this is a hoist
340.jpg

this is a lift.
3ton_single_Cylinder_Car_Lift.jpg

What are you looking for?

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
JD: that's great! thanks. Can we let you know when we can be in SD and set up something? Yeah, I know the prices here are outrageous but the least we can do is check out the prices and compare it to what it would cost to have it shipped from Canada. I know the "used" prices in Canada are great but of course need to add the shipping costs to that. So we need to be informed and then make a decision. If we could find used here that may also be an option.