For Orange Flybox NetHogar users "only"

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Good morning fellow DR1ers.

I noticed that it is now the 3rd month that I don't have my Internet speed downgraded to the slow speed of 384Kb/s.

I am a Orange FlyBox HetHogar user. I have the 1OGB plan, meaning that I enjoy up to 7.2Mb/s download speed until I reach my monthly quota of 10GB, which usually happens in about 10 days (I noticed I use roughly 1GB/day).

I automatically get debited of 1907RD$/month.

I get the "good speed" renewed every 16th of the month. I usually go to "slow speed" around the 27th of the month...

However since the month of May, I am getting the "up to 7.2Mb/s" speed for the whole month...

It usually means between 2 and 5 Mb/s, which is still the fastest in the island, for that price...

My question is :

Do you fellow Orange Flybox NetHogar users share the same experience/privilege ???

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
No, we have the full plan with supposedly full speed all month for which we pay around RD$2000 a month.Sometimes its very fast, I have not tried to measure the speed, othertimes it is abysmally slow practically unuseable. In between, like today, its just slow like our satellite connection used to be. I have complained but Orange insist all is well and it should be working well. I have noticed, when passing, that they often seem to be doing some work on the mast. I don't know the solution so if you have any bright ideas they'll be welcome. We live in Las Terrenas, a bit on the fringe area and have to have an external antenna although it was not supplied by Orange.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I live about 80 meters from the Orange cell phone tower, that might explain my good service...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Speedtest.net says download is 2.19 and upload .20, it says with Comcel SA based in Oranjestad, Setar NV. None of which makes any sense to me. It now tells me 2.00 mbps hosted by WindTelcom Santo Domingo. I'm lost!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Well, I guess I am back to normal (maybe the Orange folks are reading this thread ;) )
See that:
1410721097.png

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
At least, I had 2 "free" months with unlimited speed (june & july)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
No, we have the full plan with supposedly full speed all month for which we pay around RD$2000 a month.Sometimes its very fast, I have not tried to measure the speed, othertimes it is abysmally slow practically unuseable. In between, like today, its just slow like our satellite connection used to be. I have complained but Orange insist all is well and it should be working well. I have noticed, when passing, that they often seem to be doing some work on the mast. I don't know the solution so if you have any bright ideas they'll be welcome. We live in Las Terrenas, a bit on the fringe area and have to have an external antenna although it was not supplied by Orange.

Orange has a big problem with their flybox itself. We also experienced what you did, and were first told to reset the modem (if you look at the lights, the reset button is on the right hand bottom of the right hand side). This worked, but we had to do it a couple of times a day. Then we were told to change the password on the modem, which also worked for a bit. In the end they replaced the modem, and problem solved. I was told by them they have quite a lot of faulty modems. Hope this helps.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
What is the most economical plan for flybox monthly??and they say you can use up to four computers at the same time.How far from the box approxcan you have the computers?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
You can use 4 computers, no problem. I haven't tested maximum distance yet, but have gone further then 50 feet, and the signal having to go through the outside wall. I believe the most economical plan is the 5 GB plan which is around 1000 pesos. Strangely enough I at first paid 1907 rds for the 10 GB, and at the moment only pay 1604 rds.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
when passing, that they often seem to be doing some work on the mast. I don't know the solution so if you have any bright ideas they'll be welcome. We live in Las Terrenas, a bit on the fringe area and have to have an external antenna although it was not supplied by Orange.

Granca
Could you elaborate some on where the Orange masts are in Las Terrenas, if they are all of the broadcast capability and a bit about your external antenna? Thanks

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
We have the 5GB plan and have also enjoyed much longer on the faster speed this month. Whatever the problem is lets hope it takes ages to fix :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We were planning to upgrade from 10 G to 25 G but maybe we should downgrade to 5G if I see that there are people here who get free extended service with that 5G plan :bunny:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The only Orange mast i know in LT is at the far end of the road which starts directly opposite the road to Coson in the calle Duarte a cement storage place and a relatively new french cafe are on the two corners. Tomorrow when I go into town I'll look for names. The aerial doesn't seem to have a name, it was fitted by the person who got it for me and I never even saw the box. It is a pice of wire about a foot long with a squiggle in it and fixed by a rubber suction pad. I'll try and find out more.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
TY Granca. I am on the far edge of town in the opposite direction so probably will not be able to make use of orange. I still have interest in equipment that can concentrate 3G signals for improved cellular and internet reception in low signal areas if anyone has information.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am NOT a FlyBox user, so maybe I should just keep quiet... but...
I know some people who have them, some are happy, others are not.
I use Orange's iPhone plan with 3G. It's essentially the same signal/service. My phone shows, like most, signal strength in bars with a total of 6 bars. I CANNOT get internet to work properly at only 4 bars... NOT at ALL at 3 bars!
At 6 bars (full horn signal) I get twice the download and up to three times the upload speeds of CodeTel land internet (home)!
So, I go around where those are who are NOT happy with their FlyBox... and guess what, while the Orange map does show coverage... I only get 3 to 4 bars!
Short: If your Orange signal is less than optimal on your cell phone, your FlyBox will fly out of the window sooner or later and you will know why the funny name!
If your Orange cell signal is full horn, you will love it and data will fly in and out like you'd be in the first world and you will think you know why the funny name.

... J-D.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
To sum up my answer to Flybox users in Las Terrenas, here's the deal:

-If you depend of the Playa Bonita Orange cell phone tower, you've got the good deal. Fast & reliable connection.

-If you depend on the "Barrio Cacao" Orange cell phone tower (calle 16 de agosto), then you have to endure irregular signal strength, up&down's in the connection, slower speed sometimes...

-As far as I can see, if you depend from the Orange cell phone tower near the seashore, you are ok, but I would have to look into it...

Basically all unhappy customers are using the same Orange cell phone tower... There must be an issue with it somehow...

Colin Geissler

Aug 22, 2011
Account Balance

I have the flybox 7.2mbps/10gb monthly plan that I pay monthly. Is there any place I can go to see my usage information?

I am in Las Terrenas by Don Cesear and I find the connectivity here spotty. Today I am getting speed test results of 5.42mbps down / 1.76 mbps up but I have placed the router outside. When it is inside the house (wooden roof and concrete walls speed varies (this may also be the tower, I haven't been using it long enough to really spot the trend).

Anyone know what the external antenna would cost?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Anyone know what the external antenna would cost?
It's free, Go to Samana's Orange office and request one...
As of your usage, you're on your own... But you can budget around 1 gig per day... Usually you shall enjoy between 10 to 15 days of high speed, and the rest at 384 Kbps...