where to buy concrete spiral staircase for outside of home

Nov 10, 2010
where can i buy a concrete spiral staircase for outside of my home ; ground to 1st floor(north coast, sosua area)
(14 in height approx)
any names of business, directions to get to same???
prices???

or if you have a better option, please let me know. I seek to turn my top floor into a separate apartment and need an outside staircase for a second access point

many thanks

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have never seen a pre made concrete stair case but only seen them built onsite.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bob K is correct. You will have to hire a "maestro" and have the spiral staircase custom built.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I have never seen a pre made concrete stair case but only seen them built onsite.

Bob K

They do builit it here in Santo Domingo, however, in the north coast, never seen it.
you can try a pre-made. Escalera de hierro en caracol. very easy and cheaper. (if you are close to the coast, forget it) in this case acero inoxidable works, but more expensive.

Nov 10, 2010
They do builit it here in Santo Domingo, however, in the north coast, never seen it.
you can try a pre-made. Escalera de hierro en caracol. very easy and cheaper. (if you are close to the coast, forget it) in this case acero inoxidable works, but more expensive.

im right on the beach actually.......... oh well

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
if you have it built make sure the steps are standard otherwise you will end up with a Dominican stairset in which the steps are different heights and different widths. You need a Dominican who knows what he is doing with concrete stairs. I learned the hard way in Villa Altagrassia. We have some rentals and addeded apts. The stairs came out really dangerous. So much so that I do not use them in the rain. Amazing no one has gotten killed on them as its a long hard way down.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I agree with all that is said about having your maestro build the staircase however I think you would be very wise to get down from the internet dimensionlised pictures or drawings of what you want and give them to your maestro. I have found that Dominican tradesmen can copy anything.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree with all that is said about having your maestro build the staircase however I think you would be very wise to get down from the internet dimensionlised pictures or drawings of what you want and give them to your maestro. I have found that Dominican tradesmen can copy anything.

Better yet, stand and watch him.
Stairs are foreign to them..... each step can be different.

Make a model or draw the size and show him the tread and rise dimensions.
Two pieces of wood - one for each should solve the problem...maybe !!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You will really have to hire someone in the know. The center post of the spiral staircase is basically a no brainer, yet you need to plan locations for the rebar stair anchors on it. The toughest part will to be to bend the rebar for the outer spiral into the ascending/descending curve and the construction of the concrete molds for same. It will be an exercise in carftmanship.

Regards,
PJT

Nov 10, 2010
O MY GAWG!!!!
i THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASIER THAN THAT, IM DOING EVEYTHING I CAN NOT TO OPEN MY WALLET AS EVERYTIME I DO I GET GOUGED! enough shouting in frustration.
I was really hoping to find a prefab model, plant it and walk on it............... nothings easy

thanks anyways

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Hot dipped Galvanized should work on the coast....

Try this website, if measurements are taken properly you should be able to order these and have them shipped....worth a shot....but your still talking about $4-5K US

Salterspiralstairs.com

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A concrete spiral staircase would be difficult to build but a standard concrete one can be built relatively easily. A simple plan with dimensions should be prepared and any maestro that knows what he is doing can build a perfect set of stairs. For planning purposes, allow 8" of rise per step and a step horizontal length of 11" and a width of 3.5' min. The cheapest way to do it would be to run it along a wall instead of having turns. It is constructed by building a 5" reinforced concrete based supported by a column at the top of the stairs and then the stairs are poured in place or made with block. The cost for a 9' stair should run around RD50k.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
One among many things you may have to consider should you have the opportunity to construct a spiral staircase is to provide enough space (width) , (height) , and secure footing to allow normal household furniture to pass within the confines of the staircase. Try to imagine toting a full size wooden bed platform up the spiral staircase. If there is another viable access for furniture to the apartment then this consideration is of no consequence.

Regards,

PJT

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
O MY GAWG!!!!
i THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASIER THAN THAT, IM DOING EVEYTHING I CAN NOT TO OPEN MY WALLET AS EVERYTIME I DO I GET GOUGED! enough shouting in frustration.
I was really hoping to find a prefab model, plant it and walk on it............... nothings easy

thanks anyways

Be cheap, and inpatient - buy a ladder.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
good luck, i build concrete steps for a living and the spiral steps are brutal and the bottom step almost never ends/starts where you want/think it should go. you are better off with steel. at least then you can tell the crane operator to put it back on the truck when the rise vs run doesn't work out.