Any honest car rental place in the whole DR

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Obviously anyone can agree on the fact that car rental prices in the DR are exorbitant.To make it even better,they offer you at least three options for insurance coverage,the highest and "most comprehensive" is the famous "PREMIUM".Only problem is,any of the coverage you might get,doesn't cover specific damages you had inflicted to the vehicle(flat tire,broken window,well,you should be getting it by now)If you brake anything or damage it,they will tell you,"bueno,el seguro cubre aquello,pero no eso,pero yo te ayudo...lmao "E.G when I rented a car down there,had a small flat on the way to the airport.No biggie I figured,"I have premium coverage"Unfortunately for me,the maximum coverage available,did not cover such simple component of a car.So with that said,they guy at the counter,"hooked me up"instead of charging me 5000$ rd he would charge me 3000$rd,mind you this tire is 20 bucks up north,probably even new,but we had to do the transaction quietly since the manager was in the next room and had to be cash(which by the way,the manager was the guy that picked me up at the terminal and the same guy that the guy at the counter was bossing around,so I pretty much doubt that,that was the manager indeed)After arriving at New york,I emailed the company with a complaint about that whole insurance thing and also how I thought the guy at the counter pocketed the cash.Well guess what?The same guy actually called me back with a bs story.I left it alone and will not mention nor slam the company,but sure as hell will never use them again.With that said,any suggestions?reasonable prices and no scams?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Stick with the big companies - Avis, National, etc. Most major credit cards cover you for insurance. We always take the other insurance they offer - it's like $3-5 a day, covers all the other stuff.

AE

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
had a flat when I rented in June... no problemo. took it to the rental location and they fixed the flat and put it back on... all with a smile. took 15 or 20 mins.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
oopppsss forgot to mention. Budget in Punta Cana / Bavaro (on the road between Cortecito and the airport.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
oopppsss forgot to mention. Budget in Punta Cana / Bavaro (on the road between Cortecito and the airport.
thanks capt,I prefer to go to the pricier companies and be completely covered as opposed to having someones come up with a bogus story to he can scam out pocket money.Somebody had just told me that also about the credit card companies covering the damages.By the way,you don't have to provide details,but did you pick your name based on your previous occupation?was just wondering if we worked for the same people,but like I said,you don't have to say any details,heck,you don't even have to reply to that,all the same,thanks

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
thank you
Stick with the big companies - Avis, National, etc. Most major credit cards cover you for insurance. We always take the other insurance they offer - it's like $3-5 a day, covers all the other stuff.

AE

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
thanks capt,I prefer to go to the pricier companies and be completely covered as opposed to having someones come up with a bogus story to he can scam out pocket money

Budget, may not be pricier, but certainly is no fly by night company. Never had a bad experience in dealing with them.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
HI:

Unfortunately, you got taken. The tires probably had been patched previously or were not in the best of shape to begin with. I have rented many vehicles and never have I paid for a flat tire. There are some reasonable charges which the rental company should and in most cases would cover. You need to be more forceful with these people.

S

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I've rented over 200 times in the DR. The best Customer service is Alamo, followed by Hertz. They are franchises as anywhere else but do a good job where they can.
I've had as many as 3 flats on a single trip and paid 1200 to 1500 pesos to a Gomero for a tire replacement. If you do not take the windshield or tire insurance it is on You. I never took them and probably have won out on the deal doing the math. The tire and windshield insurance is offered because of the road conditions in many parts of the country. Flying rocks and debris do have their effect.
As to price, I get an Alamo economy car for $20-24 per day plus tax and insurance. How do you beat that? The bigger cost is if you take all the "full" insurance. Your credit card takes some of the risk off of you but not the windshield/tire issue and the now mandatory liability. You need to take the insurance that combined with your CC, completely covers you. No shortcuts.
As to one small piece of advice, Always use a National Brand Car Rental unless you personally know the owner. You will have hassles if you don't. And Never get into an accident.
For the nycdad, you overpaid and it is what it is, don't rent, use a taxi/bus/guagua.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Trust me,I know I definitely overpaid.I was not aware of these other companies,and I don't mind paying forth insurance,but let it serve it's purpose at least.I would definitely check out these other companies,thank youeveryone for input
I've rented over 200 times in the DR. The best Customer service is Alamo, followed by Hertz. They are franchises as anywhere else but do a good job where they can.
I've had as many as 3 flats on a single trip and paid 1200 to 1500 pesos to a Gomero for a tire replacement. If you do not take the windshield or tire insurance it is on You. I never took them and probably have won out on the deal doing the math. The tire and windshield insurance is offered because of the road conditions in many parts of the country. Flying rocks and debris do have their effect.
As to price, I get an Alamo economy car for $20-24 per day plus tax and insurance. How do you beat that? The bigger cost is if you take all the "full" insurance. Your credit card takes some of the risk off of you but not the windshield/tire issue and the now mandatory liability. You need to take the insurance that combined with your CC, completely covers you. No shortcuts.
As to one small piece of advice, Always use a National Brand Car Rental unless you personally know the owner. You will have hassles if you don't. And Never get into an accident.
For the nycdad, you overpaid and it is what it is, don't rent, use a taxi/bus/guagua.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
For the nycdad, you overpaid and it is what it is, don't rent, use a taxi/bus/guagua.I don't have a problem renting,but it should be with a fair and legitimate company[.and did you mean don't rent from a Dominican based company when you said national?
/QUOTE]

It is what it is,but you won't see me taking a his gua gua(not that there's anything wrong with that)

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
I've been checking out carrentals.com from Alamo they have economy car for 29.50 per day in POP. Also you can get full coverage from 11.99 per day better than the rental angency. I drug my feet and missed $7 and change per day from the airport in POP keep checking they always run specials good luck.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
On Alamo.com while booking put YQ into the Rate Code box and you will get 15% off rental in the DR DMD53.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
RV429 not such a good deal going through Alamo. At carrentals.com same car and full coverage/no deductible $100 less

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
That's why it's good to check all the sites. One note of caution, the liability insurance will be charged but does not show on the quotes, it is now mandatory.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
DOLLAR rent a car is completely honest

i have been renting from them for 5 years

never any problem

i insure the car with my AMEX card for $25 per rental

I pay $200 for a week
and
$600 per month

They will drive up the Haitian border to fix the car for me.. then give me a free rental day for the time that I have had to wait for their mechanics....

I cannot say enough good things about them or about the AMEX insurance plans!

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Just in case you need to have a flat fixed again.....here's our recent experience. Got our flat tire fixed in Sosua. Had a nail in it, so a slow leak. If yours was a ruined tire, totally different story. But they did fix ours right, took off the rim and fixed from inside. Checked all the other tires for correct pressure and everything. Good job. Cost $50RD!