Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My GF in Santo Domingo wishes to learn, REALLY learn to espik Inglish. Where?

My GF is graduating from UASD (bio-annalist) soon. She is finishing internship this month and now will have some time to kill until graduation.
    She has recognized the need to learn to speak English WELL (fluently... being able to have a decent conversation).
    I am multilingual... but i cannot teach it... languages come to me, I don't know how... I don't have a system that I could convey.
    Additionally, she lives in Santo Domingo and me in POP... so when we see each other... we don't do much of the talking.

Anyways... I'd gladly send her to a school, even thou I am not a big believer of schools since I never learned any language in a school, but if "we" do it, I want results... and not some BS course with a fancy diploma.

Any recommendations, suggestions?

Thanks! ... J-D.

2. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be able to teach her,at little,or no cost.
    When can we start?

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

4. Likes Chuck T, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

She is finishing internship this month, Criss.
    But what I am looking for is not "a little" but a professional solution with a professional result.
    Most locals seem to think highly of the "Dominico-Americano". Still, I have yet to bump into one of their students who could correctly babble "sorry". I doubt the second part of their name quite heavily anyways... may be misspelled from another continent.

... J-D.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew a girl who lived in the Gualey sector, who was studying and spoke English pretty well. She spoke of the language institute, but I don't know where it was or if that was the actual name or just what she called it.

7. Likes J D Sauser liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

JD

I would think carefully before signing her up for an ESL (if Dominico-Americano is one). I attended ESL training in Costa Rica in 2008. One of our projects was to teach local students, and I do not think many students left with either a sound understanding of the ability to speak, or much grammar skills. I was so disillusioned with the chaos in the program that I quit. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but many ESLs are primarily businesses first and teaching second.

In addition, formal training does not always cross-over to an actual living situation which one has to interface daily in most environments. I bought Rosetta Stone a couple of years ago when I first began studying Spanish. This program is grammatically correct, and I actually can spell and read fairly well. The weak part is the speech. I think I am pronouncing these words/ sentences correctly, and Rosetta Stone is set-up to verify pronunciation (and does) . However, not many seem to understand when I am talking to people in the DR, or Mexico, or any other Caribbean/Central America countries I visit. I'm sure there are numerous other free/self paced English courses out there. I know Itunes had an extensive selection (majority free) last time I checked. Good luck Don

9. Likes J D Sauser liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes J D Sauser liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just brainstorming here, but I would imagine a well educated, retired, American professional might want to attempt this task. One on one.....a woman would be best. Could be a trade for some Spanish, but not necessarily. I could see it as attractive for the American and it is American English that you are shopping for, is it not? Something I would find challenging (but I live north) and professionals from American probably missing a little bit of that.....get an engineer and you could get schedules with milestones in MS Project Manager. On second thought, maybe not an engineer.....Just a idea

13. Likes J D Sauser liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Entrena, S.A.

this is where the Peace Corps sends its trainees to get fluent.. VERY HIGHLY recommended.. also used by the bulk of the NGOs and the multinationals.... Expensive but worth it

i would not waste money at the Dominico Americano for an adult... good for kids, perhaps but their Spanish course was a real waste of time and money even at the advanced level.

Entrena has private tutors available as well... that it where I would send her

15. Likes minerva_feliz, Polar Bear, J D Sauser liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Entrena, S.A.

this is where the Peace Corps sends its trainees to get fluent.. VERY HIGHLY recommended.. also used by the bulk of the NGOs and the multinationals.... Expensive but worth it

i would not waste money at the Dominico Americano for an adult... good for kids, perhaps but their Spanish course was a real waste of time and money even at the advanced level.

Entrena has private tutors available as well... that it where I would send her
    Isn't Entrena a place to learn Spanish?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat-in-Cabarete View Post
    I thought Entrena was to learn Spanish, not English.
    see the ENGLISH section

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast