My GF in Santo Domingo wishes to learn, REALLY learn to espik Inglish. Where?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
My GF is graduating from UASD (bio-annalist) soon. She is finishing internship this month and now will have some time to kill until graduation.
She has recognized the need to learn to speak English WELL (fluently... being able to have a decent conversation).
I am multilingual... but i cannot teach it... languages come to me, I don't know how... I don't have a system that I could convey.
Additionally, she lives in Santo Domingo and me in POP... so when we see each other... we don't do much of the talking.

Anyways... I'd gladly send her to a school, even thou I am not a big believer of schools since I never learned any language in a school, but if "we" do it, I want results... and not some BS course with a fancy diploma.

Any recommendations, suggestions?

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
She is finishing internship this month, Criss.
But what I am looking for is not "a little" but a professional solution with a professional result.
Most locals seem to think highly of the "Dominico-Americano". Still, I have yet to bump into one of their students who could correctly babble "sorry". I doubt the second part of their name quite heavily anyways... may be misspelled from another continent.

... J-D.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I knew a girl who lived in the Gualey sector, who was studying and spoke English pretty well. She spoke of the language institute, but I don't know where it was or if that was the actual name or just what she called it.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
JD

I would think carefully before signing her up for an ESL (if Dominico-Americano is one). I attended ESL training in Costa Rica in 2008. One of our projects was to teach local students, and I do not think many students left with either a sound understanding of the ability to speak, or much grammar skills. I was so disillusioned with the chaos in the program that I quit. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but many ESLs are primarily businesses first and teaching second.

In addition, formal training does not always cross-over to an actual living situation which one has to interface daily in most environments. I bought Rosetta Stone a couple of years ago when I first began studying Spanish. This program is grammatically correct, and I actually can spell and read fairly well. The weak part is the speech. I think I am pronouncing these words/ sentences correctly, and Rosetta Stone is set-up to verify pronunciation (and does) . However, not many seem to understand when I am talking to people in the DR, or Mexico, or any other Caribbean/Central America countries I visit. I'm sure there are numerous other free/self paced English courses out there. I know Itunes had an extensive selection (majority free) last time I checked. Good luck Don

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Just brainstorming here, but I would imagine a well educated, retired, American professional might want to attempt this task. One on one.....a woman would be best. Could be a trade for some Spanish, but not necessarily. I could see it as attractive for the American and it is American English that you are shopping for, is it not? Something I would find challenging (but I live north) and professionals from American probably missing a little bit of that.....get an engineer and you could get schedules with milestones in MS Project Manager. On second thought, maybe not an engineer.....Just a idea

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Entrena, S.A.

this is where the Peace Corps sends its trainees to get fluent.. VERY HIGHLY recommended.. also used by the bulk of the NGOs and the multinationals.... Expensive but worth it

i would not waste money at the Dominico Americano for an adult... good for kids, perhaps but their Spanish course was a real waste of time and money even at the advanced level.

Entrena has private tutors available as well... that it where I would send her

Jan 17, 2009
Entrena, S.A.

this is where the Peace Corps sends its trainees to get fluent.. VERY HIGHLY recommended.. also used by the bulk of the NGOs and the multinationals.... Expensive but worth it

i would not waste money at the Dominico Americano for an adult... good for kids, perhaps but their Spanish course was a real waste of time and money even at the advanced level.

Entrena has private tutors available as well... that it where I would send her

Isn't Entrena a place to learn Spanish?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I am forwarding all this to her...
Thanks!
Keep'em coming.

As to the suggestion of sending her to someone... Well, as I stated, I speak several languages fluently, yet I can't teach it... I don't have a system. Never learned a languages thru studies... all just immersion. I know, I could be sent to Russia tomorrow... By the end of next week, I'd be defending myself, by the end of this year, I'd be speaking and writing some, but I don't know how.
I can teach music and those whom I did teach became better musicians than I am... I KNOW how to teach it, I have a very clear "picture" of how music "works", how to organize it... I can teach someone to play an instrument I don't. EASY.
But not languages.

I am not trying to brag, but to make a point... knowing a language is NOT equal to knowing to teach it.
Additionally, she's fairly easy on the eyes... and I don't want her to be faced with an "uncomfortable" situation where the "teacher" comes to think that maybe his "free" lessons could eventually be compensated "somehow".
I've dealt with that issue at UASD (since the director's office refused to)... I don't want to have to wait on a fellow expat in an alley one night to teach him manners.

But if a professional TEACHER of language, retired or not, could be found... why not? But not "free".
SHE also needs to know that it has a "value". Free is never good with locals, they eventually fail to value it.

'nuff said?
Thanks! ... J-D.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
J D here's the deal, Dominico Americano can be very good even for adults - I used to teach there years ago. Their methods are proven and it's not terribly expensive. The issue is not whether the school is good, but how committed she really is to learning it, which unfortunately most adults are not. I can tell you that out my classes of maybe 12 -15 students maybe one or two were really serious about it.

I wouldn't pay for one on one tutor either. I used to do a lot of this, mostly to the rich folks and business people around Santo Domingo and they never learned at a more rapid pace than in the group setting.

I would pay for her to take classes at ICDA. Make sure she registers for one of the programs where she has to go every day (The once or twice a week programs don't work as well). Even better would be to get her into the "Super Intensivo Diario" (Daily Super Intensive) where she would have to go M - TH from 6:00 top 10:00 PM...This IMO is the best choice. Currently costs 7000 pesos per cycle.

Both of you also need to understand that it's going to take some time (at least 6 months) before she can have a meaningful conversation in English if she's starting from scratch. As you know some people just are not as good at picking up another language and it's way harder for a person beyond the age of 17, which supposedly is the age by which language development is fully realized (hardened in our brains)...reason why kids pick it up so easily.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
;The Dominicans that I have met that learned English at "Dominicano Americano" did very well. As has been stated,it is not expensive.
As far as guys "hitting" on your girlsfriend,that will happen no matter where she goes.This IS the DR after all. Guys are hard wired to try to seduce any woman they fancy. You need to trust your girl to fend them off. I have told every guy I know who doesn't live in the DR,to trust your girl,or forget about the relationship.Part of the problem is "Older" men with "Jovenes Dominicanas".
As Regan said,"Trust",but Verify ! ;)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I sent her an e-mail with SuarezN's recommendation, so she can check it out.

Criss... I miss Ronnie too. Ha! And Gobi. Yes, locals are hardwired to hit on anything that remotely appears female to THEM.
If it's a paid teacher, I know how to take care of "it" (him)... if it's somebody doing it for "free" it's a more difficult issue to deal with... especially if it is a fellow expat.

Ha. I remember taking steel guitar lessons from an older retired Nashville "A-team" session player... it so turned out he was gay (I don't care)... but, I caught him "looking" at me with some evident "sympathy"... and for the first time, I came to somewhat understand how it must feel to be a good looking woman in a man's world. It must not always be easy!

... J-D.