Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok boys and girls,how much?

How much for the basic services...? Cable,internet,phone,also cell phones,do they use contracts? It seems that when I was DR,everyone was buying a 200$rd card every five minutes lol.Which are the most reliable cell companies down there and give you more bang for the buck(free nites and weekends),service in most parts of the country.Going back to the basics,here I spend about 200$us every two weeks at the supermarket,am I really gonna pay 7400$rd in DR?cable,I just want the basic(don't care for premiums)and kid's channel,I definitely need it with three boys lol.Also,I noticed some members complaint about the internet service...is it unreliable? Last but not least,car insurance,how much? Someone told me that full coverage does not exist in DR,is it true? If your vehicle is stolen,you get a oh well from the insurance company?...Thanks in advanced

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyc dad View Post
    How much for the basic services...? Cable,internet,phone,also cell phones,do they use contracts? It seems that when I was DR,everyone was buying a 200$rd card every five minutes lol.Which are the most reliable cell companies down there and give you more bang for the buck(free nites and weekends),service in most parts of the country.Going back to the basics,here I spend about 200$us every two weeks at the supermarket,am I really gonna pay 7400$rd in DR?cable,I just want the basic(don't care for premiums)and kid's channel,I definitely need it with three boys lol.Also,I noticed some members complaint about the internet service...is it unreliable? Last but not least,car insurance,how much? Someone told me that full coverage does not exist in DR,is it true? If your vehicle is stolen,you get a oh well from the insurance company?...Thanks in advanced
    ~Ok just call me curious, however with three boys, how are you getting away with only spending $200US dollars every two week for food??? I raised three boys and that is far less then what I spent weekly, every week...

3. Likes SKing, greydread liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i cannot answer all questions but:
    car insurance: we pay about 25k pesos a year for toyota highlander and about 20k for honda capa. both insurances are full. however, it only works for a certain time, you cannot fully insure car that is older than whatever, 10 years, i think? maybe 6? in any case there is a time limit.
    cable: we have sky which is about 1k pesos a month. not premium but we have kids and movies channels. and sport. i never watch any of that
    food: you and 3 kids? it is gonna cost you... we pay about 100 dollars a week for two. mind you, we eat imported stuff, nicer hams, cheeses, breads. so a dude with 3 hunry growing up kids? 200 bucks a week, if you want to eat nicely. and that's just supermarket, dude.
    internet: we have it from claro. it is bearable. 2k pesos a month, or so (phone included).
    cell phones: again, claro, also knows as oscuro i have no idea how much since miesposo has a flota, several phones for family and friends, at a business rate. works fine for me. it is a contract phone with a certain limit of minutes. minutes can be transfered between the flota phones so if i do not use them i can give them to someone else. after my minutes are used up i can load some minutes by buying a tarjeta.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i cannot answer all questions but:
    car insurance: we pay about 25k pesos a year for toyota highlander and about 20k for honda capa. both insurances are full. however, it only works for a certain time, you cannot fully insure car that is older than whatever, 10 years, i think? maybe 6? in any case there is a time limit.
    cable: we have sky which is about 1k pesos a month. not premium but we have kids and movies channels. and sport. i never watch any of that
    food: you and 3 kids? it is gonna cost you... we pay about 100 dollars a week for two. mind you, we eat imported stuff, nicer hams, cheeses, breads. so a dude with 3 hunry growing up kids? 200 bucks a week, if you want to eat nicely. and that's just supermarket, dude.
    internet: we have it from claro. it is bearable. 2k pesos a month, or so (phone included).
    cell phones: again, claro, also knows as oscuro i have no idea how much since miesposo has a flota, several phones for family and friends, at a business rate. works fine for me. it is a contract phone with a certain limit of minutes. minutes can be transfered between the flota phones so if i do not use them i can give them to someone else. after my minutes are used up i can load some minutes by buying a tarjeta.
    Lol,well,if I spend 200$us every two,I'm happy,I know you always gotta get something from el colmado in between those two weeks.thanks for being so detailed...is that monthly for the car insurance ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrjrth View Post
    ~Ok just call me curious, however with three boys, how are you getting away with only spending $200US dollars every two week for food??? I raised three boys and that is far less then what I spent weekly, every week...
    Well,they are little,4,3 and 1 month old,I'm sure when they are tennagers,I will be broke and selling iced tea right outside las Americas...lol

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyc dad View Post
    Lol,well,if I spend 200$us every two,I'm happy,I know you always gotta get something from el colmado in between those two weeks.thanks for being so detailed...is that monthly for the car insurance ?
    Ok,yearly,sorry I missed that

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

car insurance is per year
    i see the kids are very small. if they are on a formula beware that it is expensive. large enfamil in powder will cost 600 pesos or so and last for a week or so.
    also, i assume that kids like their stuff: pizza, burgers, chocolate, cookies. it does not come cheap either.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Food is very cheap here if you eat the locally produced goods. We are a family of 5 living off of less than US1500 a month and two of my daughters attend private school. I don't have a house or car payment but I do have business expenses. There is a thread started about the cost of things here. We could never live on what I am making in the States and for a family of 5 we are well below the US poverty line.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i must say here, there are two schools of DR survival:
    local, as presented by chip and
    global, as presented by dv8.

it is true that by eating and living dominican style you can do well and spend less. no doubt about it. "local" school says to buy what dominicans buy, live where dominicans live and do what dominicans do. in other words: get absorbed into dominican life, be aplatanado.

i present "global" approach: i live mostly among gringos because it is quiet and safe. miesposo (dominican) loves it. i did live in a barrio for a year so i know how it goes, i would not like to go back. we eat lots of imported stuff, miespos says that he will never be stingy on food or health. so if i fancy german bread at 300 pesos i buy one. if i want watepan de agua at 50 pesos for a huge bag i buy that. "global" approach is about no limitations. i eat lots of dominican stuff, i often have a lunch of mangu and salami but sometimes i want to have a langosta - and i buy it. i use some cosmetics from DR but i buy most, by bulk, in europe or USA, sometimes over the internet.

i assume that OP comes from america and his kids are used to certain things. say, they like pizza hut. cheap over there but expensive in DR. before the family will make a transition to dominican life they WILL spend a lot. it is hard to live on mangu and paco fish from day one. normally people crave foods from their country - we have numerous threads on this. and that, my dears, cost LOTS of money.

11. Likes RacerX, CaptnGlenn, cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't live in a barrio here in Santiago but a subdivision where the average cost of a house is RD5,000,000 with some at around RD8,000,000. It has been very quiet and safe over the last 5+ years.

I admit I miss some "comfort" foods but honestly I can't justify the expenditure. That being said I have enough for beer, rum, dijon mustard, smoked Dominican sausage, kalamata olives, Dominican tostitos and salsa, tacos, all the fixings for ham sandwiches, Dominican gouda cheese, homemade pizza, coca cola, chocolate and decaf coffee. What else do I need?????

13. Likes eldorada liked this post
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast