in Santo Domingo centro

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
out of all the neighborhoods in Santo Domingo centro,which ones are best for family setting and amenities close by and convenient(schools,good clinicas,supermarkets,etc.)?????????

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You can't say that. It is impossible. Every nice area has a Barrio on the next street. You need to follow your finances in the Capital, that will direct you better than anything. Zona Universitaria is super safe, probably got more security than any other area of the city, but is expensive and has little else other than that. Nothing has it all, it is a very very dense city. Sh1t, gold, bentleys, bangers, whores, pops stars, *****restaurants, street vendor dog burgers, police, paedo's, drugs and hospitals will all be on your doorstep more or less , where ever you live. You just have to take the best of what is important to you and live amongst the crap that isn't.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
well said,thanks
You can't say that. It is impossible. Every nice area has a Barrio on the next street. You need to follow your finances in the Capital, that will direct you better than anything. Zona Universitaria is super safe, probably got more security than any other area of the city, but is expensive and has little else other than that. Nothing has it all, it is a very very dense city. Sh1t, gold, bentleys, bangers, whores, pops stars, *****restaurants, street vendor dog burgers, police, paedo's, drugs and hospitals will all be on your doorstep more or less , where ever you live. You just have to take the best of what is important to you and live amongst the crap that isn't.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I live in Julieta Morales, behind the Bravo and Multicentro.

I think its safe. Safe for me means walking around during the day and just before dark, leaving my iron door open when I sleep (the car gate and building door locked). Using my phone outside, walking my dog, etc.

I guess the areas behind me aren't so great (Pricemart area), but I've had no reason to head in that direction so I really don't know...

Two cents given :D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just off the top of my head: Mirador Sur, Bella Vista, Mirador Norte, Cacigazcos, Evaristo Morales, Julieta, Naco, Piantini, Seralles, La Esperilla, El Vergel, La Julia.... none of these really fit Anastacio's description and are generally better neighbourhoods than Zona Universitaria.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I knew it!!!!

That is anywhere in the world,if you live in a decent neighborhood,there has to be a least one or two others in the vicinityQUOTE=Chirimoya;994529]Just off the top of my head: Mirador Sur, Bella Vista, Mirador Norte, Cacigazcos, Evaristo Morales, Julieta, Naco, Piantini, Seralles, La Esperilla, El Vergel, La Julia.... none of these really fit Anastacio's description and are generally better neighbourhoods than Zona Universitaria.[/QUOTE]

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
over inflated rentals

I have an acquaintance that says that the prices of rentals as well as sales are inflated at:cross-eye:alien: supercasas.com.According to him,he lives in a two bedroom condominium tower with pool and security,pays 500 $ usd,and this is on ave Indepencia,west of Alma mater.Is this possible? His theory for those prices ,it's that it's done due to the fact that real estate agents are looking to make a bigger commission on the sale,that's logical,but even on a rental? For example,I am tired of seeing apartments priced for over 1000$ usd,just two bedrooms,unfurnished.this is all in el centro,that is ,Santo Domingo centro.Now recently,I found a 4 bedroom,three bath PENTHOUSE IN Los cacicazgo ,furnished beautifully,for a 1000 bucks! What gives?is there any truth in his statement?

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Los Casicazgos" is a great neighborhood.Surrounded by other great neighborhoods! Must be hundreds of high rise apts. there.
You can get in,and out,without going through,"DaHood"
Great selection of private schools,supermarkets,restaurants,hotels,and easy access to everywhere else.
It wounld be my advice on where to live in DS!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It all depends on the building and the landlord and the lease. Sometimes you will find a bargin. But often the furnished apartments are for short term rentals for foreigners and they will build in a 10% rental increase into the lease. ANY lease that is quoted in dollars is obviously geared to the foreign market - ditto any furnished apartment And some of the furnished apartments are filled with -- well-- junk.

But the real question for anyone who tells you that he has a bargin rent - is how long has he been there? So when he tells you ten years, you will have your answer.

The prices that are printed in Listin are accurate. Why would they pay to advertise locally at prices that are not going to attract real tenants?

There is no way that you are going to be able to find an apartment here without putting the shoe leather to the pavement... sorry....

But as for selecting a neighborhood.. figure out where you have to or want to be.. vis a vis office, kids school, pool or park or whatever, and go from there. Otherwise, the traffic will kill you,