Tropical Storm Emily

carlosbra

Aug 1, 2011
Hi All,

Im Brazilian and Im quite new in DR. I move to here last March/2011.
This is my first Hurricane season.

I heard that the Tropical Storn or Hurrican Emily is comming to DR. Im very concerned, in Brazil we dont this kind of natural issues. My apartment dont have any protection in the windows, and I suppose that no time to put some protection.

Should I buy a ticket to Brazil and come back after the Tropical Storm ? :) Im really afraid about it,

Please give some tips.

Saludos
Carlos Soares

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do not bother, really. hurricanes cause some damage but only every now and then we have a bad one.
south and east of the country normally get a beating but north is more quiet, mountains slow things a bit. here in POP all we get is lots of rain and sometimes, seldom, strong wind.
so do not worry, all will be fine :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Carlos, check out the form on here " Hurricane Season 2011 " Mike Fisher does a great job of keeping us up to date on things
( when he is sober) lol

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Unless you live in a flood prone area, you don't really have to worry about any storms unless you get a direct hit by a category 3 or plus storm. In less powerful storms, when you don't have a direct hit, you usually just stay at home with some supplies and ride out some wind and rain, its not really a big deal.

If you were to get unlucky, a direct hit is usually confined to a 20 to 50 mile eye wall and the chance of that hitting you in the Thousands of miles of Caribbean area, is very slim. In such an unlikely event, you should be able to retreat into a storm shelter before the storms hits, therefore make sure you keep yourself informed as to the location, direction of movement, speed of movement, and wind intensity of the storm. And of course, make sure you know where your local storm shelters are.

At this stage there is no need to panic, educate yourself via the internet about hurricanes and know terms like 'storm categories' and the wind speeds they represent, and make sure you can track a storm on a map, and pinpoint your own location on the same map.

There are some good web sites out there here is one:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201105_5day.html?MR=1

On this map you can tell that the storm will not likely be hurricane strength when it hits the Dom Rep, and if you are on the North Coast, the mountanous central DR will break up a lot of the wind action.

You should be concerned about possible flooding anywhere in the DR. Ask your neighbors if your area is prone to this from heavy rains or swollen rivers.

Last edited:

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
for god sake conchman , they live in a wooden shack, of course they need to worry and prepare now

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
storm shelter? do we even have them? i am asking seriously here because i have never heard about it.

in any case, carlos, in case a big hurricane comes we hear about it well in advance, all papers and tv channels run updates so that it does not come as a surprise. no such fuss with emily so it basically means rain and wind, nada mas. no need to worry unless you live in a zinc hut next to a river.

it is, however, reasonable to have a lantern and some candles (in case power goes off), bottled wated and a full fridge (in case it rains frogs and you do not feel like going out).

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
dv8 , stick to food, and I doubt there are any shelters btw, are you familiar with conch burgers ?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Been living here 15 yrs so ive been through quite a few of these storms (lived in Tampa, florida before coming here so im used to these storms). As long as you live in a concrete structure you're pretty much ok. Expect some flooding, power outages, and lack of services (food, phone, etc.) but thats only if theres a direct hit of a cat. 3 or bigger. Dont leave your house once the stroms gets going though.... flooding is pain in the rear in this country. Buy some extra food and a couple extra bottles of water and you'll be fine. If you feel the wind starting to pick up too much, throw some tape on the bigger windows.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
OMG...Carlos you better do the following:

~Put your head between your legs....and kiss your @ss good bye.....lol....Just Kidding;)

~Its only gonna blow about 40 MPH....the flooding will be more of a concern...heed warnings that if you live near or around creeks, rivers or dry beds take shelter elsewhere ahead of time... and you should be fine;)