Domincan woman married to a Canadian Man processing PR application and having a baby

beware96

Jan 2, 2011
I am a Canadian born citizen, my wife is Dominican we got married in January of this year and submitted a Canadian Permanent Residence application back in March of this year shortly after being married which is in a processing status. My wife will be giving birth very soon to our baby in Dominican Republic so I know the citizenship passes down to the baby, so the baby will be dual citizen of DR and Canada. I am wondering if anyone has any information on getting a passport for the baby and how long it takes?

My wife already has a visitors visa for Canada so she technically can enter the country anytime while her PR is being processed. I would assume that the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo (who currently has my wife's PR application) would be the same ones processing the proof of Citizenship and subsequent Passport application for the baby? How long does it usually take to process these types of things? Or will the the birth of the child as part of the PR application and process everything altogether? Meaning I will just need to contact the Embassy and let them know of the changes in the dynamics of our family for the PR app, or will it be treated completely separate?

Any information would be appreciated.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Yes definitely go into the embassy, make them aware of your wife's application in process and have them update the file with proof of the pregnancy/birth of your child.

Ask at that time, what is required to register the birth and have a passport issued.

You could also email the embassy, include your file number and ask for a detailed list of the requirements so you have them in writing.

Be prepared to take a DNA test for immigration purposes if they decide they want one they can ask for one which will delay the entire file.

The point is, you want them to be fully aware of the pregnancy if they aren't already.

Good Luck!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
First things first, as you are a Canadian born Citizen, then the child does not form part of the PR application - they get citizenship direclty. This is is important, because if you try to add the baby to the PR application, this will complicate things and confuse the immigration officers. So answer to this question is no, you do not need to advise the immigration side that you are having a baby.

Now as for the citizenship and passport part, this is how it works. The embassy may issue a temporary passport(valid for 2 years) for the child provided that there is sufficient proof that they are a canadian citizen - being your child is not a question of wether they "can be" a citizen, but one of wether they are a citizen. This does not mean you have to acquire a proof of citizenship from CIC which can take several months or more than a year, but rather proof that you are a Canadian Citizen (birth certificate), and proof that you have applied for citizenship for proof of citizenship for the child ( a copy of the $75 receipt from CIC should suffice), and proof that the child is yours (certified translations and copies of the birth certificate stating your name as the father). They may also ask for proof of travel plans in order to issue the passport.

In the case that you will not be present to hand in the application on the child's behalf, there is also a non-standard for that you have to fill out and submit at a passport office, which they send directly to the embassy.

I know it sounds complicated, but it isn't that bad. I assume you plan on being there for the birth, and then getting everything sorted out after some quality time with your baby. You need to keep in mind that registration for births of non-residents takes place at one specific location, and that translations can take a couple of days. As long as you have enough time, you should be able to get this done (embassy can issue in 24hrs).

Also if you plan on travelling with the fam before your wife receives her PR visa, it would be best that she have a return ticket, state she is staying for roughly 90 days, and that the assurance that she will leave is that she must returne to collect her PR visa.

Hope this helps.

I would start by lining up a translator in the DR that can get things done quickly. Also check with Passport Canada on this form I mentioned, I had to do it for my daughter, but I believe it was because I was not present when my wife submitted the application.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I'd like to note a little error, you should notify the immigration side, by submitting updated forms, [IMM 5481] update question 6 and [IMM 5540] update question 15 for sure, and maybe scan through and see if there are any other questions that may need updatiting, keeping in mind that some definitions of family member don't include canadian citizens (i.e your child).

This is not an urgent matter in need of attention before you leave, but should be done relatively soon.

cheers

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Wouldn't it make your life 100% easier to just go to Canada 1 month before the pregnancy is due and give birth in Canada?

Then hey presto, child is definitely Canadian, you can get birth certificate, and apply for a passport in 'rush' format at the passport office with the birth certificate and have it in under a week?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
The problem with going to Canada to give birth is the financial cost associated with it. It is pretty much impossible to get any kind of travel insurance that covers pregnancy - meaning it would cost about $10 000 or more to have her give birth in Canada.

beware96

Jan 2, 2011
El_Uruguayo

I would say you were right on the money, apart from it believe its important to update my wife PR app and let them know we had a child. No it doesn't get added to the list of family members sponsored but its important for them to know to better understand how legit the relationship is, and this was actually confirmed at the Canadian Embassy in DR as well as it clearly states it in the correspondence the CIC sends you after you submit a PR app (any changes in the make up of the family should be communicated). Rule thumb let them know as much info as possible to help you case.

So we did end up having a healthy baby boy in DR, and I proceeded to go to the embassy shortly after, update them on the change in the family, and also submit my sons Citizenship application, and also collected the paperwork for the temporary passport which we may or may not submit depending on if the PR and Citizenship apps get processed sooner.

Thanks all for you words and support, my family and I are hopefully on the home stretch of being together, I pray for those who understand what my family is going through.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Congradulations on the baby boy!

Just one final thought on the passport, I would keep everything you need for the provisional passport on hand, translations, etc. So that you can apply for this as soon as you are ready for travel to Canada - the citizenship might take a while, but it's not necessary for the passport - the baby is already a Canadian. Best of luck!