Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puerto Plata to Haiti

Hi everyone, so I need to get my dominican drivers license as I am buying a car. The problem is it takes 45 days or so before I can get a full license. So I was wondering how long in a car does it take to drive to Haiti? My plan was that if I leave the country my Canadian license will be good or long enought to get my full dominican license. Also does anyone have any experience with getting an international drivers license? I read that since the DR is part of the UN it must be recognised and is valid for 3 years. That would be easy as I don't have to leave the house to get one, just mail a picture and order online. Any help/ experience would be appreciated.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What does getting a license and driving to Haiti have to do with each other?
    From Puerto Plata to Dajabon border with Haiti in a car it will take about 4 hours give or take. The road is not good.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We got our IDL as well before we moved in here. But in my understsnding, you still need Dominican DL after 3 months? I am not sure and this is also the same question I have in mind.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard the international license is good for 3 years. But I got my insurance for my car today and they told me they will honor my Canadian license as long as its valid. And a lady at work from Canada, has this written into her policy as well. I am not sure when it comes down to a claim what will happen thats why I have decided to bit the bullet and get my dominican liscense just in case. Its not really that expensive, about $100 US my brother in law told me.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The temporary Driver's Licence comes first -- good for up to a year --- then you advance to the permanent.
    Cannot get the permanent until afeter 45 days of temporary... first RD rule that makes sense to me..

Yes, the insurance likes the RD licence better.

Go the VIP route... see my previous post about Gabriel... no road test, assistance w/ the T or F exam.

Your brother in law is right ... about $100.

Make sure its real........... if you don't go into the building, have your photo taken, sign the forms... its not real.

If a person just comes back and hands you a plastic licence...... trouble.

Here, I looked it up..

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112...license-2.html
    Last edited by william webster; 08-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.