I have a question about a food... and its killing me! Please help!

Jacob Tyndale

Aug 3, 2011
Hello, I am new here but only to ask about a "cheese" that I tried on the rode while vacationing in the DR. I put "cheese" in quotes because, if I can remember, the driver of our taxi said we should stop and try this food. He described it as a cheese, but it was made of plantains or the peel of the plantains (or something along these lines) and that's pretty much all I know of the food. oh, also another thing, it was like a wet sponge... Please if you can help me figure out its name or how to make it or a picture of it or something, that would be great. PLEASE!! It's killing me! If you have any more questions please just ask.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Hello, I am new here but only to ask about a "cheese" that I tried on the rode while vacationing in the DR. I put "cheese" in quotes because, if I can remember, the driver of our taxi said we should stop and try this food. He described it as a cheese, but it was made of plantains or the peel of the plantains (or something along these lines) and that's pretty much all I know of the food. oh, also another thing, it was like a wet sponge... Please if you can help me figure out its name or how to make it or a picture of it or something, that would be great. PLEASE!! It's killing me! If you have any more questions please just ask.
Jacob , contact dv8 if it's known to man/women she'll know

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Describe it litle more, color, shape or anything you can remember he called cheese in english??? say more :)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Possibly Queso de Hoja... a round ball of cheese packed in water that's kind of spongy and peels off in leaves (hojas). It tastes sort of like mozzarella...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it was white, I am going to support DavidZ's opinion. The fact that the driver said 'hoja' might have confused things.

If it was "squeeky" on your teeth as you ate it with crackers or casava bread, it was Queso de Hoja....

HB

sush

Mar 9, 2011
I agree with the queso de hoja, i have never seen people selling pasteles en hoja in the higways maybe they do but queso de hoja is wayy more common

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i second that, there are many places selling this cheese along the roads in DR....

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
i second that, there are many places selling this cheese along the roads in DR....

Folks we have a winner.:)..if dv8 says it Queso de hoja its gotta be.....cause she knows her food....thanks!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm still curious to hear where the "plantains or the peel of the plantains" come in.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
there is a great place to buy queso de hoja between Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan. Tastes delicious and is cheap. If I would have to put a name on it, I would describe this cheese as a great mozarella. I use it all the time on lasagna's and canneloni.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....well ..... what about chicharrones de leche?

usually pick them up anywhere between sabana de la mar and higuey......were you on holiday around there?

looks like cheese in a jar of sickly syrup stuff.
it's spongy and perhaps could be mistaken for something made from platanos............. and tastes vile.

just thought i'd add to the confusion.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
chicharrones de leche sounds close too!! but plantains?? where is the OP~?! if more is said we could finally get it, i am so curious now of what it will be!!

Jacob Tyndale

Aug 3, 2011
Hello guys / girls! Thank you all for trying to help me, but none of you have gotten it right yet. :/ I thought back and i remember it was a white color, and it was kind of milky / watery. bochinche was the closest to how it looked. But I also talked to my family and we can't remember if it was sweet or if it was bitter, so sorry about that part... But we all agree that it was a milky white and it was watery. When it was served to us it was in a cube. uhm.... if you need anything else, just ask and i will try to answer it. Thanks again everyone.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
queso blanco??
Although it does not have anything to do with platanos... :cross-eye

donP