Cell Phone - Caller ID

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Hello Everyone,

Needing some time away from work, I've decided to take an extended weekend, by calling out sick for a couple of days in October. So I already got my ticket for my four day weekend, and off to Sosua I will be. My question is this, I have to call out sick each day and speak with my supervisor personally. I have a Verizon cell phone (CDMA), when I call the states, will my phone number show up on the caller ID or will an 809 number show up? I do not want to call my boss (who is dominican) and for him to notice that I am not in the states.

Also, will I have good reception on my phone?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you call from your US cell phone, that's the # that will show. Unless, of course, you're using a Dominican chip

AE

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There is an option to block your number for a single phone call.

Between us, I think it a risky lie. How about: I am not feeling good lately, would need days off, can I use a few sick days ?

My 2 cents :)

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
If you call from your US cell phone, that's the # that will show. Unless, of course, you're using a Dominican chip

AE

Thanks. I was just worried that my number gets routed to a local number because of roaming charges, etc.

Plus once I went with a friend of my mines and when he got to DR, his phone, which was T-Mobile at the time, switched to the Orange network as soon as we landed without him changing the chip. I guess because T-Mobile used GSM and Verizon uses CDMA, that shouldn't happen to me.

How is the reception in Sosua though?

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
There is an option to block your number for a single phone call.

Between us, I think it a risky lie. How about: I am not feeling good lately, would need days off, can I use a few sick days ?

My 2 cents :)

I wish I could. My job wants their employees to call every day they are out to verify if what they are telling them is true. It's stupid I know, but I do not have anymore vacation days.

Last edited:

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
your number might show up with a +1-(insert your number). Also if your boss calls you he/she will get the dominican ring not the regular ring in the states. There are settings on most phones that allow you to not send you information by network or completely block it.

If email is a option i would do that or i would make the call and then shut the phone off.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I wish I could. My job wants their employees to call every day they are out to verify if what they are telling them is true. It's stupid I know, but I do not have anymore vacation days.

You should do a test call to a friend in the US before you call your boss ;)

Risky business nonetheless. In this economy, I wouldn't risk losing my job for an extended weekend in Sosua, but that's just me. I would just wait for vacation days :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Hello Everyone,

Needing some time away from work, I've decided to take an extended weekend, by calling out sick for a couple of days in October. So I already got my ticket for my four day weekend, and off to Sosua I will be. My question is this, I have to call out sick each day and speak with my supervisor personally. I have a Verizon cell phone (CDMA), when I call the states, will my phone number show up on the caller ID or will an 809 number show up? I do not want to call my boss (who is dominican) and for him to notice that I am not in the states.

Also, will I have good reception on my phone?
and your boss is dominican ? lol , you can't BS a BS'r

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
and your boss is dominican ? lol , you can't BS a BS'r

Yeah. Unfortuately. Well, he is American of Dominican decent. But again, if my number is the number that pops up on the caller ID, then I will not have any problems. Hopefully the reception is good in Sosua as well.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
have fun in sosua maybe in your next job things will be different ...... (i'm just thinking about what may happen if/when they find out :p )

but as some said you can use a dominican number and change the settings to show as private/unknown but if you never have you us number as unknown then it may look suspicious... good luck and hope is woth it :)

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Remember that if you are using a work cell phone the bill will show the call as originating in the dr.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Remember that if you are using a work cell phone the bill will show the call as originating in the dr.

No, is my private cell phone. I can pull this off as long as my verizon number shows up like alterego said earlier. But again, like a lot of you have said, there is no gurantee that my number will show up on the caller ID. FYI disguising my number is not an option. The job needs to see the number I have on file.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
When I call the US with my cell phone while in DR, the caller id says "unknown".

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Also you should note that if they happen to call you and if you are not able to answer the call, they will hear the recording from local service provider. One of my colleague got caught by this way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and the new roaming charges are HUGE..!!!

So turn off the phone every chance you get

I think you'll get caught...... but yes, Sosua has good reception/signals

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
and the new roaming charges are HUGE..!!!

So turn off the phone every chance you get

I think you'll get caught...... but yes, Sosua has good reception/signals

Yes. I believe you are right. I will get caught. I'm going to hang this idea up, and just go next year. Thanks to all who helped.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yes. I believe you are right. I will get caught. I'm going to hang this idea up, and just go next year. Thanks to all who helped.

Just spend the same money at home with a nice piece of arse.

No need to go all the way to DR for some arse I hope?

Take my post with a grain of salt and don't analyze too much. jejejejeje

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just spend the same money at home with a nice piece of arse.

No need to go all the way to DR for some arse I hope?

Take my post with a grain of salt and don't analyze too much. jejejejeje

Or if u badly need some Dominican arse wait for Labor Day, or Thanksgiving :)

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Or if u badly need some Dominican arse wait for Labor Day, or Thanksgiving :)

I live in Washington Heights. Dominican arse is right around the corner... lol. Is not that. I just needed a change in scenery. To go to a nice beach (The beaches in NY suck), cold beer, clubs .... and the women are always a plus of course. But again, every time I go to DR, I just feel like I'm in a different world. All my worries and concerns are put to the side, and I just hang back and have fun.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I say go. Leave your phone at home and have a friend use it to call you in DR and then call your boss on 3 way. Should be no problem since the call will be originating in the US, that will be the number that shows up on the caller ID.
In 2007, I went to DR 9 times and had to come up with some clever excuses. It was easy for me though to get time off as most nurses work 12 hour shifts.
My problem wasn't getting there, it was getting back as I never wanted to leave.3 times I told my boss that there was a hurricane and planes were prohibited from flying (it bought me another 24 hours hahaha). She never asked why DR had so many hurricanes and I never got in trouble.

SHALENA